Winter Project CNW

adsbnsf

Just finish one of my winter projects and I thought I would post up some pics of the process. CNW 4708 was the locomotive that did a daily run through my town when I was a kid. 4708 is modeled to what it looked like in 2001.

Started off with a Athearn GP38-2 full furl tank Blue Box special addition that I found at the train show for 15 bucks.
Picture 030.jpg

I stripped most of the paint and then fabricated a 1970's modified paper filter dynamic brake blister so that it looked like the real one on 4708. Also added the Chessie "Mailbox Slots" in the battery box and fabricated front and rear ditch lights that UP added in 1996. Also added were Classification knock outs, drop steps, eye bolts, access panels, mu stands, mu hoses, all weather window, Nathan K3la horn, plow, antennas, bell, spare knuckles.
Picture 022.jpg

Picture 019.jpg

Picture 021.jpg

Picture 023.jpg

Picture 020.jpg

After some weathering and a flat finish.
Picture 009.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

4708 has working front and rear ditch lights as well as a working strobe.
Picture 011.jpg

Picture 016.jpg

Last edited:
Great work sir! As one of the "younger guys" here, this kind of work inspires me and makes me want to keep model railroading for as long as I can.

I lived near Rt14 in Palatine Il and remember the CNW units on the 3 track main thru town. Miss them... Nice work on you loco. It looks great

Very well done. Looks exactly like the prototype!

Can I you tell us more about the working strobe? How does it work? LED?

Very well done. Looks exactly like the prototype!

Can I you tell us more about the working strobe? How does it work? LED?

The strobe is a Details Associates part, but I only used the lens part and not the stand. What I did is drill a hole into the number board location and then from the inside I carved away a spot for a 1.5v lamp. I then cut the number board in half so that it did not cover the hole for the lamp when inserted. The 1.5v bulb sits under the hole in the slot. I used liquid electrical tape to black out the bottom side of the lamp so that it would not light up the cab. Hope this helps if not I can try to explain better.

Excellent job!

The Athearn "demo" unit you started with caught my eye as well. I had dropped out of the hobby during the time that was offered and now I'll be keeping an eye out for one. Oddly enough, the last new engine I bought before putting the hobby aside in 1986 was an Athearn BB GP38-2 Undec.

That looks great. Had you not posted a picture of the prototype. I would have said. All you needed was that familiar CNW bell on the nose. I see this unit doesnt have it.

How did you do the ditch and headlights? What castings for the ditch lights and what bulbs did you use for lights.

I ask because I am also a CNW guy.

How did you do the ditch and headlights? What castings for the ditch lights and what bulbs did you use for lights.

I can't tell just by looking at them, but Railflyer makes a ditch light set which comes with many different housings. The set can make almost every housing out there.

The ditch lights are custom built, but I started with Detail Associates Ditch Light and Stand part. The mounts that the ditch lights are on is made out of styrene and were just glued together. Once I centered the light on the mount I installed it to the locomotive. Next I took a drill bit one size larger than a 1.5v lamp and drilled through the light, mounting bracket, and locomotive it self. Thants pretty much it, The lamps are installed and replaced from the outside of the locomotive. All you do is feed the wires in and wired it up to a function. In this case F3 front and F4 rear.

The head lights were simple. All it is is two 1.5v lamps per side, behind Athearns headlight lenses. Function F0.

Side view of the rear Ditch Lights.
Picture024.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice work on the CNW GP38-2. I can see these ol' girls working around the Boone aera on the local now! Need more CNW fans to keep the road alive.

I remember back in the 1990's seeing 4708 or 4401, MWF doing local deliveries on the St. Charles Industrial Lead. Once UPY GP15's started doing the work it just was not the same.

Back