Will this cover up with primer?

NYSW F45

Ok so if you can't tell already, this was an athearn oakway leasing sd60. I stripped it in 91% alcohol and got most of the blue off except where the white stripe was and the logo. Those took some scrubbing and also media blasting with baking soda. You can't feel anything but I want to make sure that this will cover up with primer. To me it looks like its just stained from the pigment.
Photo1.png

Oh and those who have tried oven cleaner to remove paint, which kind have you used? I tried spray bottle that was fume free, but it didn't do anything to this shell or another shell i wanted to remove some stubborn floquil paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was advised not to use oven cleaner from my custom painter. He went to stri the shell further then I had and thats when he saw all the little cracks everywhere!!

Steve, what is this going to be repainted as? Is there any chance it would be an ex-Oakway unit? If so, I wouldn't worry about it, anything that did happen to carry through could be simply considered part of it's previous life. I'm pretty sure they didn't worry a lot about a little paint shadowing on the real thing.

Its getting repainted in NYSW Black and Yellow. The primer is going to be grey, so im just worried about it showing thru that.

I dont think the fans will be an issue, i did another model where the fans were molded in blue plastic, not nearly as light but they covered evenly. These are like CR blue. Im still working on some minute details that I think the NYSW would be doing to this rebuild that they've done in the past to others. So I hope to maybe primer it tomorrow after work. And while doing that i also fixed 2 other shells that refused to get cleaned up with alcohol and media blasting. So I hope to knock out these 3 guys at once.

I dont think the fans will be an issue, i did another model where the fans were molded in blue plastic, not nearly as light but they covered evenly. These are like CR blue. Im still working on some minute details that I think the NYSW would be doing to this rebuild that they've done in the past to others. So I hope to maybe primer it tomorrow after work. And while doing that i also fixed 2 other shells that refused to get cleaned up with alcohol and media blasting. So I hope to knock out these 3 guys at once.

Can you post photos of your progress? I'm interested to see how the ghosts of EMDs past covers up.

If I get to primer tomorrow after work i will post up some pictures for sure. Im working till 7pm tonight and still need to add some detail parts before primering.

Back