Who uses "Dust Buster"?

nwdrummer379

Class of '11
After sitting on a shelf for a while, my locomotive collection naturally is a tad dusty. I was wondering how many of you use that air in a can to dust things off, and whether or not it harms anything.

-Jeff

I think canned air would be ok - just be sure to not blow any little details away.

I've also use miniature vacuums with brush tips on larger surfaces like buildings and roads on the layout.

I use a 1 inch wide very soft natural bristle paint brush as a duster for the trains and for buildings. Works fine and I've never knocked off any detail parts. To keep the dust from just settling someplace else you can use a small battery powered vac that is sold largely for computer cleaning. A shop vac or household vac is an invitation to disaster for routine dusting of finished items.

I use a 1 inch wide very soft natural bristle paint brush as a duster for the trains and for buildings. Works fine and I've never knocked off any detail parts. To keep the dust from just settling someplace else you can use a small battery powered vac that is sold largely for computer cleaning. A shop vac or household vac is an invitation to disaster for routine dusting of finished items.

x2. My spouse always wonders where her make-up brushes go. The dust will resettle if not vac'd away. Also rather than "air in a can" you can use your air brush.

Old faithful!!! Had this thing just for dusting for over 20 years now. LOL

001-8.jpg

I use air in a can, retired make up brushes from the wife, and bought one of those little micro-vaccums from Micro-Mark for about $25 and love it. I have a VERY large fleet of engines and cars that sit in display cabinets (not entirely dust proof), on book shelves, desk, etc. The wife usually cleans all that stuff anymore while I am away working out of town, and knows if she does occasionally break off a detail here or there (rare, but happens), she knows to keep the detail in a pill bottle on my work bench and tells me about it so I can glue it back on, no big deal.

Old faithful!!! Had this thing just for dusting for over 20 years now. LOL

001-8.jpg

I keep one that size on my work bench for cleaning up after a build session. The bench top is swept off into a clean sheet of white paper and checked for stray small parts before being tossed away in the trash.

The air in a can isn't actually air in a can. It's a mixture of chemicals in a can that allows it to be pressurized, and emerge in a gaseous form. If you inhaled that stuff, it's similar to sniffing a permanent marker. They put a bitterent in it to stop people from huffing the stuff.

If you flip the can upside down and spray. You'll spray out an icy cold liquid that freezes anything on contact.

Back