What's on your layout..

What is you interest ?

• American (USA) modelling. No interest whatsoever in anything else

Votes: 105 72.9%
  • South America. No interest whatsoever in anything else

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canadian modelling. No interest whatsoever in anythin else

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • European modelling (including Scandinavia and Eastern Europe). No interest whatsoever in anything el

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • World Modelling. Everything from other countries ( Asia, Australia, Africa, Malaysia etc.)

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • No specific area (Countries). Freelance railroad and freelance country

Votes: 21 14.6%

• Total voters
What do you have on the layout? At this time I have:

Two Bachmann GP7's
One Athearn GP35 on a Frankenstein chassis
One Athearn F7 on a Frankenstein chassis
Two Varney F3B's on Frankenstein chassis
Three GP9m's on Frankenstein chassis
One Bachmann K4 4-6-2 Pacific as a display
Varney 36' hopper w/coal load
Bachmann track cleaner tank car
Two Athearn 50' gondolas w/scrap loads
Two Tyco 52' Old Dutch Cleanser covered hoppers
Two Bachmann heavy duty depressed center flats with Caterpillar loads
Tyco Diamond Chemical tank car
Two Bachmann 50' flats w/Athearn container loads
Mantua 45' gondola NYC w/coal load
Two Athearn 45' tank cars, MKT, Magnolia
Athearn 50' dbl door boxcar CPLT
Athearn 50' boxcar ATSF
Tyco 52' Kellogg's covered hopper
AHM 50' Niagara covered hopper
Athearn 52' mill gondola UP
Athearn 36' covered hopper
Two Bachmann 40' gondolas
Four Bachmann 40' hoppers, three with coal loads
Two Bachmann 40' tank cars, Gramps, Shell
One Athearn 40' tank car ATSF
One Atlas tank car, ACFX
One Athearn 52' well car

Just had an interesting discussion with a friend about what/where/what we model.

What interest do you have?
There are entirely too many interesting things right here in the U.S.A. to even think about attempting to model someplace else.

Kind of a multi answer question. First, the poll. I like to model the great southwest because the visibility is so much greater there. You can see trains while they are still miles away, both coming and going.
As far as what's on my layout, right now, mostly saw dust and a couple of 3/4 mile long test trains to make sure the track is working properly.

I voted USA because of that's what I like the most, but I would have to say that if it were possible to get steam era New Zealand (My native country)and it was affordable (there is some I believe but last time I looked, way out of my reach, would love to have a "K" as a display though)

Most of the modern Australian diesels are pretty non-descript looking (square flat faced cabs and no features like dynamic brake or radiator "bulges" to break the monotony on their hoods. The only steam I would go for would be the Garratts.

Queensland still has some older spartan cab diesels in use with curved Alco style cab roofs and small equipment boxes at the front (some offset, some more central) which makes for interest and the Brisbane suburban MU's have now got about 4 varieties. Also the "Tilt" train passenger combos, both electric and diesel that run between Brisbane and Cairns up north are very modelable (but no-one is as far as I know).

My layout? 5 lengths of HO code 100 along what was a saw bench.

An NZ "K" class
reduced_APG-0286-12-G1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
No specific era, no specific area. I use any diesel loco I like from the 50s to the present day. CN, UP, ATSF, WM, and a TGV Atlantique to mix things up !

Martin4

I voted USA.

I model a generic American mid-eastern branch line. (CSX and Norfolk Southern).

I always did like American freight trains due to the variety of freight cars used, and have a great liking of the EMD GP series locomotives (especially the 15, 38, 39 and 40). I think the NRE Gensets are cool looking locomotives too.

Like some have mentioned, American prototypes are readily available (of which there is a huge range to choose from) and are almost always affordable than most. Also in my opinion, I maybe wrong, American models tend to be more realistic too (take the coupling systems for an example).

That said, If there was even a small range of Sri Lankan model trains manufactured (I'm from Sri-Lanka), I would be modeling that, unfortunately, to my knowledge, there is none.

I got Steam, Diesel and Electric engines from Europe (France (SNCF)/Germany (DB) etc.) and South African and 2 or so from USA, but will probably mostly model the SA Railways.

I voted Just American, as that's what fits my era but do have an interest is other locos from other countries, they just don't fit my layout.

I'm just running early American Loco's due to modeling a rural local around Colorado but not specifically. For my time period 1890's to about 1915 [a big Spread, I know] Steam was all that here at that time and I believe the Locomotives were produced here in the U.S.A.?

My roster of loco's isn't too big as the C&S West is a down trodden line just barely getting by with the occasional purchase of a newer loco.

In current use, HO Drive Rod loco's I have:
1 - 0-4-0 AHM/Rivarossi Dockside with Walschaerts valve Gear;
1 - 0-4-0 Early Tea Kettle tank loco;
1 – 0-4-0 with tender Early Tea Kettle loco;
1 - 0-6-0 MDC Tank Loco
1 - 0-8-0 kit bashed Tank Loco that was an HOn3;
3 - 4-4-0's An old Mantua, a Brass General?, and a MDC/Roundhouse;
1 - 2-6-0 MDC;

3 - 2-8-0 [2] MDC one is a newer one from Athearn/Roundhouse the other is a older kit I assembled, the 3rd is a PFM Ma&Pa

In Geared in use;
2 - MDC 2 truck Shays

Early Box Cab Diesels;
One MCD powered and one Dummy for added track maintenance;

Motorized;
1 - Brass, Old Mack Rail Bus with 2 axel lead truck and 2 axel drive with a little MDC realistic hand car that is towed behind to pull it where it's needed;

1 - Bachman motorized hand car;

I should say, that to me, modeling loco's and cars that fit together, era and time wise adds to the enjoyment of operation by keeping things somewhat prototypical.

I also have about 50 old truss cars and cabooses

The survey is too restrictive!
I model North American , so its the USA and Canadian stuff primarily,
but,
occasionally we do have visitors from the Island of Sodor!;)

Grandpas HAVE to, its the rulz!:rolleyes:

SP in the "Bay Area" c. 1956.

But I have a few Canadian boxcars that run through in the daily mix. I'm looking for a few Mexican NDeM cars from that period too. That covers all of North America and represents what I've seen in interchange.

Mine is mostly modern SD units mostly have a vintage steamer that's from the 50s that runs great I like to throw on from time to time.layout will allways be American don't care for the euro looks exception is the Tgv's

I don't have a layout yet, but it will me current-day, alternate timeline North America. And whatever plans I make are designed with the intent to use six-axle motive power. Or 8-axle, if one counts a planned BB40-9W. All motive power will be either LPG or battery/electric.

My layout is pretty much Small town USA in the late 50's to about 1970 (mainly because I collect 1/87 scale American vehicles and prefer vehicles from that era). My layout is not intended to be prototypical. I'm more interested in seeing the trains moving through the scenery than authentic operation. I will always have passenger service by B&O with a F3 engine as thats the HO scale train my brother had on his layout when I was a toddler and the train that sparked my interest in model railroading. For freight service I've stuck with Chessie Systems.
I will probably always model North America, but building a small Australian layout would be fun too.

I will probably always model North America, but building a small Australian layout would be fun too.

If you do so Jim you'll find most models available represent New South Wales or Victoria as far as variety of rolling stock is concerned with interstate passenger like the "Ghan" also.
Western Aus of course, BLI make the BHP-Billiton AC6000's in various schemes. In Queensland there is Wuiske models http://www.wuiskepromotions.com.au/

I to didn't really have a choice as I model Conrail , Amtrak and New England short lines and commuter lines but I do have some European trains from Germany, France, Poland, Austria too.

For me modeling is all about the nostagia of depicting a bygone era and depicting my own country wins on that stake, so Im putting in New zealand scenery for my first layout.

How ever I must say that for the best mix of price, quality and standardization of model designs, you cant go past north american HO.
I love some of the big American steam engines .

I also love some of the tank engines and the mix of four wheel and bogie cars you get by modeling Non-North American countries.

I voted USA because of that's what I like the most, but I would have to say that if it were possible to get steam era New Zealand (My native country)and it was affordable (there is some I believe but last time I looked, way out of my reach, would love to have a "K" as a display though)

Most of the modern Australian diesels are pretty non-descript looking (square flat faced cabs and no features like dynamic brake or radiator "bulges" to break the monotony on their hoods. The only steam I would go for would be the Garratts.

Queensland still has some older spartan cab diesels in use with curved Alco style cab roofs and small equipment boxes at the front (some offset, some more central) which makes for interest and the Brisbane suburban MU's have now got about 4 varieties. Also the "Tilt" train passenger combos, both electric and diesel that run between Brisbane and Cairns up north are very modelable (but no-one is as far as I know).

My layout? 5 lengths of HO code 100 along what was a saw bench.

An NZ "K" class
reduced_APG-0286-12-G1.png
you can buy that in a white metal/brass kitset for about $470 US dollars (a very good reason for sticking with North American HO)
http://www.jgmodels.co.nz/
its Sn3.5 which is 1/64 on Ho track. This is correct for a 3'6" guage.
I dont think anyone else makes them.
Even though its S scale it is about the same size as a HO scale N+W J class and will fit through standard HO clearances but it will struggle with 36" radius curves.

QUOTE: "For me modeling is all about the nostagia of depicting a bygone era..."

Scroggin, That sure works for me. Case in point would be the SP "San Ramon Local" running back in 1955. I only saw this local behind diesel power but the scenry in Contra Costa County sure looked like this when I was a kid.

Attachments

• SP-1815-N-CAL.jpg
    SP-1815-N-CAL.jpg
    521.9 KB · Views: 256

Back