What Track Do You Use

I used Atlas code 83 flex and Nos. 4 and 6 turnouts.

When I make my O scale layout, Atlas 3-rail O will be used.

I'm building a new layout and I went with Walthers code 83 flex and #6 turnouts.

I was not impressed with the QC. Most pieces of flex track had a sprue every 4 ties or so. Not a big deal to cut off but still, this is supposed to be higher end.

I have alot of NARC cylindrical hoppers with the small gauge wheels. (This is HO). I love how they look, downside is your track and turnouts have to be very close to within gauge everywhere. This is why I went with Walthers, I was told that the Sinohara turnouts were of very good quality and would accomodate these narrow wheels.

I was dissapointed to find that 7/12 turnouts that I bought were out of gauge by around 2mm, this is enough to cause the cars to derail when they pass over the turnout.

This will be the last time I by Walthers/Sinohara track & turnouts. Peco gets my nod for track & turnouts. I have never used any Micro Engineering.

~My 2 cents.

Just called Atlas

I just called Atlas to find out when Code 83 flex would be back in stock. There answer was "by the end of summer." Aug/Sept was their estimate. FYI

I decided to use atlas code 80 for my N scale layout because I found an online dealer in used N scale equipment. From him I got much track, switches, and numerous track crossing track (crossings) with a variety of all angles, some for as little as a dollar each and in like new condition. Just checked on E-bay and same crossings on there going for more $ than new prices. Also got about 60 old railcars for $3 each, many with larger wheel flanges that need code 80 for proper clearance and might not work with code 55. If I won the lottery might spend more on fancy track but honestly...the small difference is NOT bothering me at this point.....and the switches work great!

railfan
(mike)

I use Atlas code 83, sectional and flex. I also use their turnouts, but have a couple of Walthers curved turnouts as well.

I still like Atlas Code 100 flex, and Atlas, Peco and Shinohara turnouts. It's like the old saying, "thats the way we always done it", and really, I like the look, and the price. At one incarnation of my layout, I was going to use the (500) brown tie track, but I detail and weather everything anyway, so I just get the black tie stuff.

I have recently acquired a few Atlas Code 80 turnouts for free. They actually look like they are constructed very well compared to the 55 turnouts. They don't appear to be too far behind Peco in quality. That being said, I'm still leary of using Atlas turnouts from previous experience. I intend to use them on my secondary tracks where the speed will be low.
Are your code 80 atlas switches like the pecos.....OR......are they the ones with the onboard black box actuators?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back