what kind of compressor

NYSW F45

Can anyone recommend a compressor for an airbrush? Amount of PSI? Oil/oilless? Im looking at harbour freighits site and they have a 1/8hp oilless airbrush compressor kit. Im wondering if this is a good compressor to start off with?

Here is the link 1/8 HP compressor

It'll do for a start,bit noisy (always running) and may not have a regulator or water trap but give it a whirl ,you can always upgrade to a better compressor later

I agree with Space Mouse. I had occasion to try a really cheap jig saw a couple of years ago...I only wanted it for perhaps 15 minute work. I couldn't use if for more than three or four minutes... it was junk.

I spent three times as much (on "sale") at Sears for a much better product and am confident that the next time I go to use it in the pursuit of either real stuff or hobby fun, it will do what it is meant to do.

That $49 compressor was sold by the distributor to the dealer for about $19....maybe $25?

Would you buy this same compressor feeling you were getting something worth $20- 25? Is $20 in mark-up worth what you will get?

Utility and success cost. :(

Well, it's about as cheap as you'll get--and you'll get what you pay for.
Those Harbor Freight tools , Central Machinery , are made in China and are just that. Not that all Chinese products are junk , but most of the Central Machinery items are.
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and find a Campbell Hausfeld compressor w/ 3 gal tank for 70 - 90 dollars.

Ive Got a Regular size compressor...One thats sold @ lowes or Home Depot

This way I can use it for my air tools, or my airbrush. I just put a regulator inline with it the airbrush so I can lower the PSI ...

Being a Canuck, I got mine from Canadian Tire. I'd recommend getting a compressor with air tank from your local hardware store or big box hardware store. Mine is 1/3hp good to 100psi. It came with a regulator and I added a moisture trap. It is great for airbrushing, filling car tires or using air-tools.

I don't meant to hijack this thread but I'm also looking at buying an entry level compressor and air brush. I have a really old Sears tank compressor. My dad used it for air tools and spray painting. It's really really loud and will pop the breaker on almost every circuit I plug it into. Since I'll be using it in the basement just for airbrushing and dusting, I'm looking for something a whole lot quieter. How much noise do the smaller ones generate?
Thanks,
Doc

Doc, I would go over to Sears and get a small piston air compressor. I got my 1/2 hp on sale for $119 and it was complete with regulator, hose, fittings, etc. All I needed was a moisture trap. Noise...well, any air compressor that I've heard thats worth it weight is a bit loud, but mine recovers fast and the tank is large enough not to drain down to quick.:)

tonight i went to the local harbor freight with the fiancee since she had to get some gift cards. I looked around and they had a cambell hausfeld 3 gal compressor with adjustable pressure upto 100psi for $70. i may end up getting it this weekend. they also had some pretty cheap airbrush kits for like $20. but i'de never pick those up and use them.

tonight i went to the local harbor freight with the fiancee since she had to get some gift cards. I looked around and they had a cambell hausfeld 3 gal compressor with adjustable pressure upto 100psi for $70. i may end up getting it this weekend. they also had some pretty cheap airbrush kits for like $20. but i'de never pick those up and use them.

Thats the one I recommended above ,didn't know Harbor Freight carried them. It's noisy when you run it , but it only runs for a couple minutes and then you can spray for 1/2 hr. in silence. I use it daily.

i'll probably pick it up. i've also thought why not pick up the crappy $15 airbrush kit aswell. i know i know its a crappy kit, but i think to get the basics of learning the airbrush it would be worth it. better then spending $75 or more on a airbrush kit and screwing it up.

You cant screw up an airbrush (unless you just dont clean it, or bend the needle). This is another area you really dont want to cheap out on. Get a good badger or even better Iwata. A cheap airbrush is inconsistent, and usually yields really crummy results. I dunno about you but when i get crappy results that dont seem to improve with practice, i get discouraged. Buy the best you can afford.

http://www.coastairbrush.com
http://www.bearair.com

are a couple of great supply sites. I buy from both on a regular basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use my shop 6hp 60gallon compressor.

I made a manifold that plugs in the air hose from the compressor, with a regulator and water trap, with quick connects for the airbrushes.

MVC-398F.jpg

For airbrushes, Badger, Paasche and Iwatta are great brands. For panel painting, like car or loco bodies, I prefer the cheapie single action external mix Badger Mini Spray Gun. No needles, easy to clean, great for large jobs. For weatering and fine details I use a Paasche VL dual action.

Rotor

What does the water trap do? (I know, it traps water right?)
Where does one get one or the parts to make one?
Thanks,
Doc

What does the water trap do? (I know, it traps water right?)
Where does one get one or the parts to make one?
Thanks,
Doc

Yep...that's exactly what it does. You can get them anywhere that sells air compressors will have them. Home Depot, Lowes, Northern Tool, etc. Even the local Carquest auto parts has them.

A water trap is a definite "must have" for any painting, be it airbrushing model trains, or painting full size cars. Prevents ruining a nice paint job from a drop of water getting through the spray gun.

Rotor

Lowes and HD have em - they are orange in color, round.. usually come 2 or 3 in a package. Use em for awhile and change em out. The Kind rotor has is overkill IMO and more $$ than youd spend for the smaller ones.

We use the big ones @ the shop, and put the smaller ones at the gun to stop any that might have got thru the bigger filter..

Back