What did you get for christmas?

a new Canon Powershot SX110 (woo!!), some much needed pieces of railroad track to finish a small part of the layout, a maglite flashlight, under armour gloves, and a safe... everyone needs a safe, right?

I received:

Athearn SD40-2 Norfolk Southern in HO. It runs well, and was surprised it had coupler bars and MU hoses on it.

1 book on the Southern Railway. Another book on the Illinois Central.

I bought for myself (after Christmas):

2 CAGY boxcars
1 MSE boxcar
1 NS boxcar
1 SOU boxcar
2 SOU bulkhead flats
1 M&B boxcar
1 SOU SD45
1 CAGY CF7
Some decoders

I've pretty much completed my fleet of locomotives (just 2 more is what I'm looking to get). I'll be starting on benchwork shortly.

It is. Still have to add some of the smaller parts but out of the box I think it looks better then any engine I own. I have a few Kato, Bachman Spectrum and Proto 2000's not to mention alot of Athearn BB locos. Need to get my Athearn BB tunnel motors up to this level of detail or they just wont look right on the same layout.

Chad, I thought that was a brass model at first. Nice job by Athearn. How many of the lights in the SP cluster actually work?

Chad, I thought that was a brass model at first. Nice job by Athearn. How many of the lights in the SP cluster actually work?

The 2 in the nose (white) and the 2 on top. The red is a fake light. I have yet to instal a decoder in the loco and think with some work could make the mars light work. That is a mars light isnt it?

That looks like the shelly foss,I had one and I over powered it ,but man was it nice,I had counter rotating screws on it,and the fire hose worked. NICE
JIM

Chad, the red light is a Mars (Pyle-National Gyralite, to get technical) but you rarely saw it on. It was called the "big hole light" and only came one when the train went into emergency stop. I'm sure it would be possible to make the light work with DCC and an LED but it was not in common use so I don't know if it's really worth the effort. The white Gyralite mounted above the cab was always used by SP locomotives day or night so that's the one you want to modify using DCC.

Thats good to know about the lights. Didnt really know why they were there. I have been working on the plow cutting the openings for the air hoses. What a pain! You think they could have put plows on with the holes there. But if it keeps the cost down I am ok with it.

Well my Christmas was the bomb, I got my first Lionel set :D the best day in every boy/man's life.

my Pennsy flier freight set pulled by the 0-8-0 in the engine bay ive made.
my.php

my oldest engine i have, which i believe to be 1950's

my second oldest and most cherished " was my grandfather"

and all three together.

Back