Weekly Photo Fun 911-9/9-17

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
DSCN1950.jpg

Well it's about time Jeffrey....:rolleyes:

I haven't really got much that is photogenic this week. I have been sewing and installing a black skirt under the layout to try to give a more finished look to the potion that will be judged for a Merit Award. Here is a before: ( most of these were done with a flash so not the best....)

Skirting01w.png

and a few in progress:

Skirting03w.png

Skirting06w.png

Skirting07w.png

And finally how the layout now looks as you enter the room from the stairway (this one was done without the flash):

Skirting09w.png

Nice closeup, Jeffrey.

Ray, you have more money in toggle switches than I have in my whole layout. :) The skirt looks good. My wife keeps promising to make me one...sometime before the end of the current century. :)

Ray, that skirting really looks sharp! You've given me another great idea. Thanks.

East bound and down, these old Alcos are still haulin freight. DJ.

P1030981.jpg

Thanks Jim, the toggles are on the fascia as during operations the "train Crew" has to throw all the turnouts "by hand" just like many yards on shortlines back in 1925. Many I have had for 25 or more years.

DJ, WOW!! Those are RS somethings I assume..... Great modeling and fantastic photography! I can almost hear the rumbling and smell the diesel fumes...

Nice Ray, how do you hold up your skirt, um I mean how did you attatch the skirting?
I'm putting the same up next week, thinking of just stapling or using velcro.

Grampy, what can I say... great shot as per usual!

Thanks, guys. Yes, Ray, that's an RS1 in the lead, with an RS3 trailing. And I'd be interested to know what material you used for your skirting? DJ.

Nice Ray, how do you hold up your skirt, um I mean how did you attach the skirting?
I'm putting the same up next week, thinking of just stapling or using velcro.

I used a couple different methods depending on the place. Most places I am using heavy duty Velcro. It came in separate rolls (hook and loop) of 75'. Both sides (hoop and loop) have a strong adhesive on it. I just stuck the loop side to the benchwork and then put in a few staples to make sure it stayed stuck. The other side was, again, stuck to the fabric and then sewed on. Not really hard. The Velcro The hook is part # 90916 (the loop is downstairs...) if that is any help. In other places I hung it like a curtain on 1.8" steel rod using eye hooks under the layout.

DJ, the material is just a heavy black cloth I got at Joann Fabrics. I then sewed it with a few pleats to make it look and hang a bit better.

Thanks!

Finally found this engine after a few years. got it today by UPS. Got it on sale. The last one they had. It goes w/my Fla. Tri-Rail bombadier cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally found this engine after a few years. got it today by UPS. Got it on sale. The last one they had. It goes w/my Fla. Tri-Rail bombadier cars.

Very nice Larry. I have been wanting a Tri-Rail set after seeing the trains last month but will have to find a set of 3 cars and a loco first, LOL.

Very nice Larry. I have been wanting a Tri-Rail set after seeing the trains last month but will have to find a set of 3 cars and a loco first, LOL.

There was a set on EBay 2 weeks ago, but the starting price was over $150.00 & that was just for the cars. The Loco had a starting bid of over $75.00. I bought this 1 for $56.00 plus $8.00 shipping & it came from an on line hobby shop.

There was a set on EBay 2 weeks ago, but the starting price was over $150.00 & that was just for the cars. The Loco had a starting bid of over $75.00. I bought this 1 for $56.00 plus $8.00 shipping & it came from an on line hobby shop.

Ya I know they go for a lot when on Ebay. I have sets of the ACE, Caltrain, and Sounder cars and rarely see them on ebay. Same goes for the Walthers commuter cars, every time they hit Ebay the go for $30 - $60 per car. Luckily I have 6 car CDOT, NJT, and MBTA sets as I would never be able to afford them now, LOL. As you can tell I have a thing for commuter trains.

Trainshed

Hi Y'all,

I've had a couple of requests for pics of the trainshed behind my SP mail train in this months photo contest. Here they are. The trainshed is scratcbuilt and was done by several members who hand built trusses and other sub-assemblies. another member lighted the whole thing. There is a combination of wood and plastic parts and it is sure a beautiful piece. Here are some close up and distance shots. Enjoy!

004.jpg

Trainshedlights.jpg

Trainshedatnight-1.jpg

Trainshed2.jpg

Trainshed1-1.jpg

I love the warbonnet scheme. Nice engines.

I title my image, "Trackside thrills courtesy of a Duplex T1".

IMG_5460csharres.png

-Crandell

Dang, I've to shoot some pictures! These are great. I haven't seen this many Alco RS-1's with the old journal boxes in a long time.

DJ, nice picture with all those high cars behing the consist.

Dan, nice atmosphere shot.

Larry, nice engine but I'm sure glad I didn't have to paint it. :eek:

Alan, that trainshed is absolutely amazing. How long did it take to build and how many light bulbs are there? I wonder just how many pieces of luggage alone are there?

Crandell, can you imagine if you were sitting that close to a real T1 going by at 70 mph? I think the spectators would have been down the slope. :)

That station is Amazing! It has given me some ideas for my small humble station.
Thanks for sharing everyone.

Alan, that train station! OMG!!!!! nice

Larry, your switcher and that new locomotive has got me wanting to paint some stuff for my Trinity Railway Company. Man I love the colors, it has Racing stripes!!!!LOL's

Back