Weekly Photo Fun 9-04/9-10

The year is 1998, and one of the first UP painted tunnel motors is powering a freight through east Texas:

DSC05671.jpg

Trooper Wagner just happened to catch the train, and zipped down a back road to catch it, while Ramapo RR Supply gets a delivery.

DSC05674.jpg

DSC05675.jpg

Weathering on the units was done by Jerome, Units are on the local club layout...

Had a few minutes to set up a quick shoot before I had to run to a wedding.

Southern Pacific F7A 6444 heads a local out of tunnel #13.
DSCF2723-1-1.jpg

The Black Widow paint scheme is a nice change of pace from the normal grey.
DSCF2727-1.jpg

Took the old Athern BB F7s out for a run a the club tonight.. Recently painted them into modern P&W railway colors. these units are still in use today but they seam to have troublesome maintance issue. Still cool to see an old loco earning its keep.

Smiley, those passenger cars are...diiferent. :) How many of your friends have busses? I assume they must all run on batteries or hydrogen fuel cells since my small motorhome only get 10 mpg and I'm sure no environmentalist would drive something like that. And your slogan on the hopper is wrong...when we die, we'll all compost. :D

V&AL, nice job on the tunnel motor but sad to see the SP disappear. Now, time to get busy and add about 10 antennas to that Texas DPS car. You can't be a cop in Texas without at least 10 antennas on your car. :rolleyes:

Adam, nice paint job on that Black Widow but where's the Mars light, or actually, head light, since the SP Black Widow F-7's had the headlight as the lower unit and upper unit was the Mars. There may have been one done up with the headlight blanked off and the Mars converted to the headlight but I don't recall seeing any in the Black Widow scheme.

Trent, how do you get that hazy look to your pictures?

Jim I guess its just my art of bad photography LOL

Alot of the pics I take at the club are with the camera at or near its max zoom. It might just be all the reflections of light bouncing off objects and causing the pics to look hazy?

Some progress shots:

First up is "mini me" a HO 14x20 company house in front of some O scale 14x20's. The HO version still has the individual shingles of the O scale and I even had some missing on the porch roof so you can see the nailers and rafters under them. Only real difference is in HO the windows are closed so no blowing curtains.

Next up is the brick building that is being done for the convention. The Coke sign is a decal that I made which fits the time frame for the building 1900.

Lastly is another brick building being finished up for a client, if you look close you will see the same Coke sign above the windows in very faded condition with a newer sign below. Took some work to get the sign faded just right with but I am very happy with it.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

Smiley, those passenger cars are...diiferent. :) How many of your friends have busses? I assume they must all run on batteries or hydrogen fuel cells since my small motorhome only get 10 mpg and I'm sure no environmentalist would drive something like that. And your slogan on the hopper is wrong...when we die, we'll all compost. :D

Just a couple. Most of 'em run on plain ol' diesel because they're more used for living out of than as a means of getting around, so it wasn't worth the trouble to do the conversion. There is one guy that converted his to run off of waste cooking oil from restaurants. The stuff gets used in place of diesel, with the aid of some minor changes to the engine. I've heard of some railroads in Europe using biofuel blends for their diesels but don't know of any large scale implementation here in the USA.

----------

Matt - those little houses look quite amazing, what did you use for the shingles?

I wonder if those using bio fuels know that Diesel, Gasoline and every other Petroleum product is bio fuel. It's 100% natural

Jim, that's an Athearn BB, straight out of the box, and as fresh as when I shot the real deal one damp Texas morning in '98, or '99. (I dont know where my big box 'o photos went, or I'd have the proof) I'll go drag up some dog hairs for that DPS cruiser... good point! (I've got 3 antenna's on my POV..)

I wonder if those using bio fuels know that Diesel, Gasoline and every other Petroleum product is bio fuel. It's 100% natural
Bio fuels are those that don't release CO2 into the environment or release very little CO2. Diesel, supposedly the cleanest of the fossil fuels (you can't convince me of that when I see the layers of particulate on roadside structures and the fact that it contains lots of sulfur) is said not be so polluting. Bio-diesel (cooking oil) is made from grain, corn and other non-fossil sources and releases almost zero carbon. Ethanol (made from corn) can be mixed with gasoline but no more than 10% to 15%. By itself it is not a viable automotive fuel as it doesn't supply as much explosive force as gasoline and in it's pure form quickly corrodes fuel systems that are not made of stainless steel. At this time the system showing the most promise is the hydrogen fuel cell.

Last edited by a moderator:
The shingles are cut from scale 1x8's. I like to cut them a scale 18" long and set the shingles with a 9" revel. Laying the HO scale roof took just over an hour.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

Wrong forum I know. But Bio Fuel puts out just as much CO2 as any other fuel. CO2 is a product of combustion and isn't a pollutant. It happens to be what we exhale and what trees and plants need to breathe. There's nothing wrong with researching and making Bio fuels. I just wish the eco types wouldn't try to push them off as clean energy. Actually if the materials that are used to make bio fuels was simply left alone in a landfill they would convert into an even cleaner burning fuel, Methane.
Anyhow back to photo fun :D

Here are a couple photos from this weekend at the first operational meet of North Texas Free-mo:

large.jpg

macjet's Rock Island GP38-2

large.jpg

Tye Jackson's BNSF GP50 & GP38

large.jpg

Jeff Ritter's Santa Fe GP38s

As you can see, most of the modules are under construction and only a few have some scenery. In fact, the only completed module is Oklahoma Free-mo member Adam Eastman's Brush Creek. Our group was started last December and most of the modules are less than 6 months old. We hope to have quite a bit more scenery completed by the first of the year (and possibly more modules) in time for our next setup.

More photos can be seen at:
http://www.pbase.com/mecrharris/ntxf_ldsetup&page=all

Matt, nice job on those commercial buildings. Your wood structures are also nice but I like the look of your brick buildings even more.

Trent, I like that hazy look for a railroad in an industial area or running though light fog. Now I just have to figure out how to do it. :)

V&AL, I know some F's got converted in the later years of the bloody nose era but Athearn is pretty good about detail accuracy so I'm assuming they must be right. I finally got the radio shop to reduce all the antennas on my Explorer to five, including a hood mount, so I could get the darn thing in the garage. All the others were broad band and short so it would fit. I got tired of taking the shotgun and all my medical gear out of it everynight when it was parked in the driveway.

All I can say about the CO2 debate is go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide and read and learn. All burning of any kind of fuel, and a lot of other things, produce
CO2. The only question is how much.

great work so far everyone..

Jim I was shoting my stopped train from about 10'-15' away on a mini tripod. I used the "portrait" option on the digi cannon camera, I used the button delay (delays taking the pic to insure the camera is steady) and a 1.5 sec exposure. this was taken under florecent lights. hope that helps

A few things going on this weekend.

I have been converting an IHC 4-6-4 into ICRR # 1. Known as the only hudson built for freight service. It was built at the IC shops in the 1940s out of a 1923 Lima Mountain. It proved to be to slippery and top heavy but once moving it was all good. it was returned to passenger service in late 40s and renumbered 2499. It was scrapped when it was retired:eek:
So far I have replaced all the tender and front truck wheels with ones with a smaller flange. (if you have had an IHC you know they dont like code 50 or some 80 rails) I also remade the external bearing front truck frames added the front air pumps and railings. installed a tsu1000 decoder, Led Front and tender light, re decaled the numbers. new head light, Added the firebox flicker, crew,new coal load,front coupler, cow catcher. still needs square domes rear truck wheels, drive wheels machined down. and a few other little things

I Also bought some FA and FB P2k units last week on Evil bay.. I have a question for you abbout these FA units..
the gold box units are longer than the blue box. was this just a mistake or was it because some had steam genarators for passenger service? look at side louvers and you will see diffrent placement from the old units (far from camera) vs the new units.

trent

Some progress shots of the brick store front, decided to have the store front windows more period so I added in some stain glass upper panes. These are reverse painted using Tamiyia clear colors.

Also a close up shot of the shingles on the HO scale "mini me" house.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

Next up is a shot of a O scale D&RGW Jacks Cabin tank which was finished up this afternoon. Made the "mistake" of sending a photo of the earlier one to one of my clients and he bought it so I had to build another to display at the convention.

Ans some detail shots of the Como depot which is going into the model contest at Colorado Springs this month.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

Back