Weekly Photo Fun 7/24-7/30

Pucker factor of: 10! :eek:

Still needs more work but the tough stuff is over. Not my best work but at 3' looks good.:rolleyes:

Test shot

A few test shot on the newer section of the layout.

Did a relatively small amount of scenery (backdrop and grass). Looks like I'll have to adjust the lighting.
Not much time for the layout during the summer, so will re-visit in the fall.

Hope you are all having a great summer. :)

MLW

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

We went Ashley Mi on Saturday and caught 765 leading the excursion to Alma. Everyone else struggled to keep people out of the shot. I staged a mother and her daughter in my shots. I like how it turned out.

IMG_1360BW1.jpg

WOW, Chris, Nice looking Trestle. That sure is time consuming. I built one in 1984 that was 5ft long for a custom layout for a friend. It took me all year working about 2 to 4 hrs. a week. Built mine from a Miami Valley kit out of wood & it was HO scale. I had some pretty frustrating days when the sections I spent hours working on stuck to the wax paper over the blueprints & came apart & I had to start all over.

Needed a set of 45 degree stairs this afternoon and was out, so I put together a couple of runs of them. Thought everyone would like to see how these are made from scratch. The middle photo shows the jig that is used to cut the stringers using a chisel blade in a #2 handle. The first photo shows the jig that is used to hold the stringers vertical while the stair treads are glued to them. And the last photo is of the two runs which took about 20 minutes to make total. What I do is as I need stairs I just cut off the portion of the run that I need with a sharp #11 blade, I have found that seldom do the treads come loose as long as the blade is new.

Then a couple of progress shots of the the oil distributor. First one is of some of the smaller storage tanks which will be scattered about the complex. Second shot shows the pair of horizontal storage tanks both in their saddles.

verry nice...

No pics right now... but I got the 2 Bachmann car shops kits today... now I'm figgurin out how to put everything together so it all looks good...

Fred's Locomotive shop is gonna be BIG!

Chris, that is one heck of a lot of lumber, even for N scale. Looks like the test train made it across with no problems. should be quite a sight when it's done.

MLW, nice models and really nice backdrop. did you print it yourself or buy it? I like all the shadows.

DJ, I've got two Paragons now and have decided they are the way to go if you want a BLI engine. The last thing I need is another switcher but yours sure looks good.

Matt, great way to make a stair jig. I also really like the syringe and Alene's glue method for rivets. I wish we could start a stick for hints like these so they don't get lost.

Jeffrey, nice looking tank car but it would look even better with some rust on the those handrails.

LOS, very nice job weathering. I think the FURX unit is a particularly good example of general fading and grime from running off the miles. Those Atlas O scale SD-40's are sure some fine looking locomotives.

Jim: Been using that set of jigs for several years, cannot imagine what it would have cost if I had to buy commercial stairs in that time frame. If I had shot the photo a bit farther out you would have been able to see that the alignment jig has slots for 3',4',5',6' wide stairs, though most of what I use are 3'.

Here are some shots of the finished paired horizontal bulk tanks for the fuel distributor (what I needed the stairs for). Built a old truck loading platform in front of each tank that are capped off, been replaced by a new taller loading area to handle those larger 30's era trucks. The valves on the pipes are HO scale SS Limited castings which always looked huge in HO but just fine in O. The wheels on the valves are O scale brake wheels for comparison.

Next up is the Superintendents house at Como in O scale. First shot shows the photo that is being used to make this model. Second shot is of the progress this evening (started after supper). Last shot is the progress on the O scale Sierra Railroad Warnerville water tank. This is the one which had the roof raised up 3' off the top of the tank.

Back