Weekly Photo Fun 7/24-7/30

Great stuff last week!

Howard's Super Service. As a tribute to the short "Violent Is the Word for Curly" http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7023400490821896224 , we have Howard's Super Service.

stooges.jpg

gas_03.jpg

gas_04.jpg

gas_07.jpg

gas_01.jpg

Lots of good answers as to what was used for the cone at the bottom of this piece (the tank for a sand tower). Would you believe it is a cork fishing float from Walmart. They come in several sizes and fit nicely into a short section of PVC to form tanks. By the way the rivets on the tank are Grant Line castings, though I also make them with Arleen's Tacky Glue and a syringe.

I haven't had a lot of time this week to get a much done. I have started to take photos of each area of the layout to help me critique each section for what I need to adjust and finish before getting this part of the layout judged for Merit Points for the NMRA Scenery Certificate.

This is the area at Cooley's Blue Ice:

CooleysBlueIce02w.png

CooleysBlueIce03w.png

Moving counter clockwise you see the farm behind Hopewell junction just to the left of the Ice House property:

FarmBehindHopewell1w.png

Then the Farmhouse and a field of grapes behind Hopewell Junction:

FarmBehindHopewell2w.png

A pair of shots showing first wet (just applied) drops of Arlene's Tacky Glue rivets and then a shot of them dried and painted. For round head rivets this method works very well, inexpensive and fast.

Dan, great structure and great theme. Where did you come up with the idea and the Three Stooges figures? Great modeling work, especially the interior.

DJ, that's an angle I haven't seen before. Nice shot as always. Was the Paragon SW-7 worth the money? It sure looks good.

Jeffrey, nice weathering job but you forgot to rust up the wheels too. :)

Ray, I like your overview scenes. Kind of ties things together. I always forget your backdrops are so close to the tracks until I see a close up. Sure wish I had the talent to be able to paint like you.

Matt, do you just apply dot of the Arlene's sticky glue as rivets? Do you have some kind of jig or just eyball it? Either way, they come out as nice rivet work. That oil dealer should be a knockout when you've got it done. Never would have guessed that cone thng was a fishing float. That may be the only time a fishing float hss been used for kit bashing in model railroad history. D:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I've made quite an impression in the town, by making a start on the park:

3754754621_7e71b9f464.jpg

And my newest addition today, the Devon Belle Observation Car:
3754754609_76a8812ac8.jpg

The detail is superb:
3754754635_5927308bfc.jpg

3754754641_6595636a0d.jpg

Dan, great structure and great theme. Where did you come up with the idea and the Three Stooges figures?

They were the 2000 The Three Stooges Hallmark Ornament set. I photographed each figure and then used Photoshop to place them in the picture. The figures are 4 1/2 inches tall which is why the Photoshop magic.

Chris: Nice looking trestle, one of the classic ways to handle a turn back curve on a model railroad.

Dan: That is a very nicely done gas station. Most of the details are Berkshire Valley it looked like. Do you prefer to keep the pieces off a base, I like to build on a base to keep the structures solid and the details together.

Jim: Glue dots are freehand. The first photo shows the method of applying them. Nice thing about glue dots is if you don't like them a finger will remove them while they are wet (about 15min).

Then some progress shots on the coaling tower that I am scratch building in O scale.

Last edited by a moderator:
mdcustom; said:
Dan: That is a very nicely done gas station. Most of the details are Berkshire Valley it looked like. Do you prefer to keep the pieces off a base, I like to build on a base to keep the structures solid and the details together.

First, beautiful tower! Most parts are the old Chooch line which I think Mike did sell to Berkshire Valley. (I have been collecting detail parts for years before finally starting to build a layout) Since I am still building I am not sure where the buildings will end up. Now they sit on a small piece of Homasote. Once I get that far I'll model some type of footings for them.

Back