Weekly Photo Fun 6-25/7-1

Made up a small gasolene storage tank for a 1920's era gas station in Gunnison Colorado. Tank is 12' tall and 9' dia. It is depicted as having had some recent maintanence as denoted by the paint patches.

A couple of cars I was working on yesterday:

DSCN0268.jpg

DSCN0269.jpg

Jeffery, I like the rust color you have going. How'd ya to that? Kinda looks like it was sponged on with powders. I like the spotty texture on the dark color. It looks like it was sand blasted and left to rust. Good Job!

Speaking of weathering power, the wife just "donated" a whole set of earthtone makup shades to me to experiment on weathering. I'll report on sucess or failure as I use them.
This could lead to some really wierd looks at dept stores,,,,,,,a bunch of grizzled old men purchasing makeup??? :eek: Might want to get the wife to restock if this succeeds!!:D

One thing that has worked. Ladies makup brushes are great for using powdered chalks!!~ Just be sure to ask before procuring them from her vanity!!!:eek::rolleyes:

Speaking of weathering power, the wife just "donated" a whole set of earthtone makup shades to me to experiment on weathering. I'll report on sucess or failure as I use them.
This could lead to some really wierd looks at dept stores,,,,,,,a bunch of grizzled old men purchasing makeup??? :eek: Might want to get the wife to restock if this succeeds!!:D

One thing that has worked. Ladies makup brushes are great for using powdered chalks!!~ Just be sure to ask before procuring them from her vanity!!!:eek::rolleyes:

LOL I was thinking about that before. I kinda thought Jeffrey's application looked like a make-up brush which would really work in getting the look he has created. I could hear us calling up to the better half, "Honey...Did you see my make-up brush???" LOL...
Another thing you might want to concider ...Some make-up powders contain an oil base and it "may" fish-eye any covering you use. (like dull coat)..I'd experiment on scrap before you have to strip a railcar again.

Weather or Not

Jeffrey is certainly the expert at weathering but I thought there should be some maintenance component shown before we rust away! :)

The LOUSY Photo shows updates to bluebox weights to hide the rust - I did compromise and use flat black rather than gloss!

In the background is a 50 year old scratch built ore car - found in a box of OLD ( pre magnetic) kadee couplers. Closest thing I have and likely will have to weathered.

Guess I better start reading the camera manual as well.

take care ,,,ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Back