Weekly Photo Fun 6-11 / 6-17

Matt, maybe it was Alexander but, for some reason, Scale Structures sticks in my mind. I know the one I built had the same round window, mansard roof and ornate porch and roof details. It's been so long ago that it could have been almost anyone but I remember it was expensive and I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how one part was supposed to ever fit into the other. :)

Jim the SS Limited kit was Dorothy's House. Here is a photo of it.
Next is a photo of the haunted house. Neither of them is a match for the house on the module, guess we are both remembering "the old days" when kits were kits. Now I have a funny feeling that is some plastic kit instead of a craftsman. By the way Tomar has acquired the old Alexander line and has all there detail parts available along with some of the kits.

Matt

P1010759.jpg

Next is a photo of the haunted house. Neither of them is a match for the house on the module, guess we are both remembering "the old days" when kits were kits. Now I have a funny feeling that is some plastic kit instead of a craftsman. By the way Tomar has acquired the old Alexander line and has all there detail parts available along with some of the kits.

Matt

HA! I fooled both of ya! :D
The center house on the module is a kit from a company called Polar Lights. (now part of Ertl) It's the Bates mansion from the movie Psycho. It even comes complete with "Mother Bates" to place in the upstairs window! No longer sold new, but can still be had on ebay. Search under "Psycho house or Bates Mansion" to find them. I went a little further and blocked off the interior so that the only light showing was in her room. Then wallpapered the walls, colored the floor and placed a brass bed behind her in the room. Yeah, nobody will see it but me, so what?

Thanks for the comments, and BTW, I still have a similar Alexander kit to assemble......someday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt

The detail parts will do pretty good sales wise, I'd imagine---:D

Matt, that church model came out outstanding as usual. I built both the SSL Dorothy's House adn the Alexander haunted house, now that I see pictures of both. I guess I blended them both together in my mind when I saw the house that Karl built. That's what happens when you get old and have built too many kits. :)

Karl, is the Bates Mansion kit wood or plastic? It's a really nice looking model.

Karl, is the Bates Mansion kit wood or plastic? It's a really nice looking model.

Jim. It's plastic. And I must say that the wall sections fit together so well that most needed no trimming at all to fit perfectly. Also several have slots that line up with the adjoining tabs making assembly a breeze.

So easy, even a caveman could do it. (Even an old one!) :D

Sorry Chris, but when I saw the 3rd and 4th pictures, and knowing your perchant for DMSFs, the first thing I thought of was a large blue toilet!:eek:

Only a sick mind would find it funny like I do.:rolleyes:

Chris, how old is that Santa Fe tank engine? It looks like really early N scale and it's clearly based on a European prototype. Is it an old Lilliput? Your kitbashed motorcars look great!

Chris, how old is that Santa Fe tank engine? It looks like really early N scale and it's clearly based on a European prototype. Is it an old Lilliput? Your kitbashed motorcars look great!

Lil Tank is an old Lifelike model I got at a train show some 15 years ago for $10 . It runs good to boot, people get a kick out of seeing it run! I love my Box cabs:) I still got some more work to do but over all still cool!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris, it's clear by the cylinders that Lifelike didn't make it but slapped their name on some European model. It sure has the weirdest valve gear I've ever seen. :)

Chris, it's clear by the cylinders that Lifelike didn't make it but slapped their name on some European model. It sure has the weirdest valve gear I've ever seen. :)

I know LL didn't make it, but LL was on the box and I'm sticking with that story!:p But it has backend wheels with small flanges and runs pretty good for what it is!:) I just wish I bought two or three of them at $10 each!

Back