Weekly Photo Fun 4-24/4-29

It is a bit too big. Rather than trash it, try spreading a think layer of medium ballast over it. The medium should fill in the gaps and cover the larger ballast some. Then continue to finish with the smaller medium. Some recommend the small ballast but IMO that is more N scale sized rocks.

It is a bit too big. Rather than trash it, try spreading a think layer of medium ballast over it. The medium should fill in the gaps and cover the larger ballast some. Then continue to finish with the smaller medium. Some recommend the small ballast but IMO that is more N scale sized rocks.

Good Idea thanks!

Motley how does it run?? I got one of the early production SW1's by Walthers when they first came out years ago and it still runs well...even after bouncing it off the floor once.
Rich

It runs great! It has the QSI decoder in it, and I have no idea how they even fit a speaker in that thing, but it sounds great too.

Thanks,

Michael

Ran into this on my way home. The track that he was on runs parallel to the road that heads out toward my house. First time in six years I've ever seen a train on this set of tracks. I ran with him at exactly 8mph down the road holding traffic behind me. Im sure the folks in the cars behind me were none too thrilled, I was like a kid in a candy store though

Tracks look pretty good for not being used much at all.

Jerome, any chance we can get some good up close photos of the slug??
Rich

Rich, here ya go. It started life as an Athearn BB SW1000. I cut the body off even with the sill. The new hood is made from Cannon & Co. roof and ends with styrene used as the side walls. The headlight fixture on the one end I just made of styrene and a Details Associates headlight casting. It has numerous detail parts from DA, DW, Plano, Cannon, and even Atlas pilot ends. I custom cut the walkway thread from Cannon stock. And it has the Plano see-through steps installed.

100_5161.jpg

100_5162.jpg

100_5163.jpg

This is what it looked like before painting.

100_4908.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich, here ya go. It started life as an Athearn BB SW1000. I cut the body off even with the sill. The new hood is made from Cannon & Co. roof and ends with styrene used as the side walls. The headlight fixture on the one end I just made of styrene and a Details Associates headlight casting. It has numerous detail parts from DA, DW, Plano, Cannon, and even Atlas pilot ends. I custom cut the walkway thread from Cannon stock. And it has the Plano see-through steps installed.

100_5161.jpg

100_5162.jpg

100_5163.jpg

This is what it looked like before painting.

100_4908.jpg

Jerome nice work as always? Quick question tho. Did you airbrush the paint on with or without the grab irons on? I have some F40's that plan to repaint when I get my airbrush kit.

Jeff,

The hopper looks nice! Looks like she has been used hard.

Wheeler,

Nice job paintin', I really like that deep blue.

Jerome nice work as always? Quick question tho. Did you airbrush the paint on with or without the grab irons on? I have some F40's that plan to repaint when I get my airbrush kit.

I usually have the grab irons already glued in place before I paint. Unless I know there will be a decal or stripe going over the holes. Then I'll paint the grab irons stuck to a piece of masking tape to install later.

Aaron
I agree with hamltnblue with the solution. I also would like to suggest doing ballast last. If you spill / drop or accidentally get grass dirt or what ever in your ballast it is there to stay and how often do you see that in the real world. But if you do the ballast last. You might get a little ballast in the grass or dirt but that could happen.

Here's my first contribution to the weekly photo fun. This was my first real weathering project. The guys over at Protoweathering really helped me out and gave me some great tips. If anyone is learning how to weather, that site is a great resource.

Here's the car before I started:
IMG_0338.JPG

Finished side A and prototype
IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

Picture%201652.jpg

Finished side B and prototype
IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

ATSF%20152279.JPG

Jeffrey,

I just got that exact loco from Bachmann and the first thing I did was strip all the paint off so I can paint and weather it. I got the cheap Bachmann loco originally on e-Bay as a different loco when I started out in the hobby a few years ago. My plan was to learn how to weather on the cheaper locos and end up with a model I could sell if it turned out ok. The problem was when I got it the loco didn’t run (was DC). So, I was off to the LHS and had them take a look at it and they said the gears where shot and could be replaced if I sent it back to Bachmann. They would fix it or replace it if they didn’t have it any longer. That made me think if I waited for a time then there was a better chance to get it replaced and not fixed. So here we are years later I sent it in and they called to replace it since they no longer had the model I had. So I asked if we can upgrade to DCC and for a small extra cost I ended up with a DCC loco. This worked out for me as I run DCC and didn’t have a need for DC. Since I don’t model GN and have no intention to I figured I would paint it and weather it differently. It’s going to end up a Chessie loco when I’m done.

Dave

I usually have the grab irons already glued in place before I paint. Unless I know there will be a decal or stripe going over the holes. Then I'll paint the grab irons stuck to a piece of masking tape to install later.

Thanks Jerome I really appricate it

Not much model railroad work from me recently, but check out this car I caught in San Diego today!

Not much model railroad work from me recently, but check out this car I caught in San Diego today!

I'm surprised to see a car that old still in service Josh! Who is/was National Regional? I can't believe the car still has the supports for the roofwalk and the high ladders.

Back