Weekly Photo Fun 4-03/4-09

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
DSCN0758.jpg

You guys are probably thinking that I'm showing the same progress shots each week. I'm starting to feel the same way! I've started to add the other embankment to the river. Getting the river bottom, bridge piers, trestle, deck girder, and track to line up has been interesting. It's one thing to make it line up, it's another to make it do all of that while looking 'right' to me. This is what my wife doesn't understand.

Oh well, here are few progress shots. I've started to actually get the correct height and alignment for the piers. The foam needs a little more shaping before I go at it with plaster cloth and paint. I still have to finish the left side of the trestle. I have the bents, I just have to figure out how steep I want the hillside.

newlayout015.jpg

newlayout016.png

newlayout018.png

Jeffrey, that engine house is coming along, nicely.
Corey, anyone who has done a bridge scene like that knows how much time and fitting it takes to get it "right". Nice progress!

West bound F7s and a Geep along Roaring Creek.

P1030353.jpg

Jeff, if there is one layout that seems to show something new most often, and with a good eye, it is yours.

Corey, I am following this project with interest. It will be a real beaut once you have it all set to go. Even She should be impressed! :p

DJ, wonderful image. I really like how this one shows your sub-roadbed with the different rock material...nice touch.

Here is my image with a close-up (sort of) of the caboose I weathered a couple of months back.

The title of the photo is, "Chattin' waitin' for the hogger to fix somethin' up in the engine.

IMG_4538csharpr.png

Thanks Jeffrey and Crandell.
Crandell, the detail in that scene is outstanding. Your photos tell a compelling story, no words needed.

Gramps, another beautiful shot. Makes me long for those days when we thought that railroads like the Pennsy would last forever.

Jeffrey, that's going to be a fine engine house when you're done.

Corey, the slope of the hillsides for the big bridge look pretty good to me. That's going to be a striking scene from the highway bridge when it's complete.

Crandell, nice insulators on that telegraph pole. The caboose looks OK too. :)

The little people at Cooleys Blue Ice no longer need to use a cat hole in the woods behind the Ice Pond...... Sometimes the Health Dept. is helpful. Old Man Cooley has installed a one holer out back by the Horse Corral.

PrivyCooleys01w.png

PrivyCooleys02w.png

PrivyCooleys03w.png

Thanks, Jim. Yeah, only on our model RR layouts.
Nice, Ray. We had a two holer until we moved to a house with indoor plumbing when I was a sophmore in H.S.
Will, nice looking layout.

Thanks Grampy.

It has to be neat as you can see the room from the front door of our apartment. It is in the spare bedroom, 3m x 3m space.

I have finished the track and wiring (DCC) and am starting the scenery from the back forward. That way I don't knock things over or break things off while reaching for the rear.

Testing some more fading methods. The top container is faded with Floquil antique white and about 80% air brush thinner...

Jeffry nice shots thanks for keeping these threads going!

Crandel.. tell that guy on the caboose to get back to my layout. He left mine a few weeks ago? hope you dident hire him?

Gramps, another part of the layout I dont think we have seen(at that angel... LOL)

Will, looking good! if I could offer a thought..place a country side/hill side back drop and blend your trees into it. It will help give the layout depth

Corey.. nice bridge work, thats going to look great

Josh, love the fading work! looks like most of the containers I see on the road. Rarely do I see freshly painted containers. we must all be nuts becasue we buy new stuff to make them look old

Adding rocks for the tunnel and waterfall.
2670_507451791545_116400015_30305211_1436218_n.jpg

Tucked back some of the pond liner, and installed a drain pipe.
2670_507451796535_116400015_30305212_3598567_n.jpg

2670_507451801525_116400015_30305213_3363060_n.jpg

2670_507451806515_116400015_30305214_5737216_n.jpg

Ok, the CEO,COO,and CFO decided that the Grande Valley Railway (N scale division) needed a business train to show off our system to both established and prospective new customers.

First pic is of the first car started but not finished yet one of several coaches to be used in the train.

coach-2.jpg

Still needs besides paint,MTL 4 wheel passenger trucks installed,new interiour built and installed and steps at both ends.

Next up is the tail car or Observation car.This car has had the most reworking with complete new sides and a totally new back wall.This car too is in need of a new interiour which will include theater style seat in the observation section.

tailcar1.jpg

It will be recieving MTL 4 wheel passenger trucks but it will recieve steps at only one end.

Still to come one more coach (or more), sleepers ,baggage and a power car so any GVR loco can put the train.These cars and posibly all of the cars in the train are or will be Model Power heavyweights with scratchbuilt sides.

Josh, what did you use to weather that container?

I used chameleon paint stripper for the first time today. Stuff is amazing. I only had the really small bottle of it. But it stripped 8 athearn AMD103 shells. I'll definitely get it again when I have multiple shells to strip. Im curious to know what it's made of. It smelled just like rubbing alcohol.

Will, looking good! if I could offer a thought..place a country side/hill side back drop and blend your trees into it. It will help give the layout depth

The 3d backdrop is complete and fixed to the wall already, I tried working with a photo type backdrop, but did not like the effect. From the natural looking lichen and moss trees to a shiny photo just did not cut it for me, so I went with the natural backdrop.

Back