Weekly Photo Fun 3-27/4-02

HO Scale. Scratchbuilt Short Line or Narrow Gauge Open Top Water Tank with a pair of female swimmers taking a dip. Tank is modeled after the C&S style tanks which have a unique leg system where the front/back legs are not attached to the middle pair. Tank features board by board construction through out. All lumber is prestained to get a very realistic look to the tank. Grant Line NBW castings are liberally used on the legs and spout assembly. Grant Line spout. Water surface is Envirotex Light and features an interior ladder desending into it along with the fill pipe and release rod for the spout. The 16 tank bands feature scratchbuilt tightners each of which have 8 parts. Heavy weathering on the tank body and legs. Both girls are in 40's-50's style bathing suits. This piece is a real eye catcher and reminds me of the opening of "Petticoat Junction".

HB, nice set of locos having that conversation. :)

Adam, I can see an empire already beginning to take shape.

Chad, nice start. I like how you used masking tape to plan your yard. One thing you might want to look at is the straight section on the ladder just past the yard track holding the two UP engines. It looks like it's got a pretty bad misalignment just where you don't want one.

Matt, outstanding work as usual. I wonder if anyone ever really swam in a water tank?

DSCN0741.jpg

Jim, like everything else I am sure it happened sometime, though I would suspect it was teenage boys not young ladies. At nearly every show I get asked why I don't have women swimming in a tank, this is actually the first time I have depicted it.

Jeffrey, that's a cool kitbash.

Matt, the few water tanks I've seen from the inside would not encourage me to want to swim in them. Yuck! :eek:

Jeffrey, that's a cool kitbash.
Thanks. I've seen building similar to that but never could find one as a kit. The flat roof of the service stations garage was just screaming for something so I tried a couple of structures on it. That particular house just looked at home there.

Jeffery, Whys the cops there???? And parked on the lawn??? And it looks like he's peeking out the window!

Jeffery, Whys the cops there???? And parked on the lawn??? And it looks like he's peeking out the window!
It so happens that the cops father lives there. The police car is the only one in town (operational that is) and it's a rebuilt wreck bought from the state police.

mdcustom, how much water effects do you use? i mean how deep is it and what do you do to get that dirty/mossy colored effect?

I know I'm late for the weekend edition but here are three Geeps that I finished weathering last night.

P2K units that were modified with:

Correct horn in the correct location

Firecracker antenna

Cab vent

Exhaust stacks shaved down to the correct height

Details West train lines

LaserKit windows

4354 is a renumbered 4310

A comparison photo to the factory unit is included.

Steve that is a single pour of 1/16" thick clear Envirotex Light. The moss effect is achieved by painting the core black and while that is still wet swirling in some greens.
Matt

Matt: beautiful work.

macjet: those are some beautiful engines. Makes me want to run The Rock on my layout. I should go out and get some pictures of one of the bridges they owned in town.

Mac, nice job of detailing and fading the paint on the RI unit. I don't think I ever actually saw a clean Rock unit so yours looks a lot more real to me than the factory painted model.

Jeffrey, did you really add that photo to the billboard or is it done digitally?

Looks pretty nifty, Jeffrey. I'm not sure what it's supposed to be advertising but it's an attractive picture.

supurb pics everyone.
I haven't posted anything in a while. Been real busy moving and starting a new job so I haven't had any time to work on the layout. But now I'm settled in and finally have my layout up and moved. I moved it from the basement from our old house to the garage in our new place and since I built it to be transported and to fit threw the door nothing was ruined.
3403145950_0d5670f781.jpg

Some weathered cars I did a while ago.
3403144556_b1871172a8.jpg

3403141886_e1a440e9eb.jpg

Good job moving the layout, Mike. It usually requires about a month to finish repairs after a move. :) Looks like that garage will be a good space.

Mike, I like the idea of being able to open your garage. It lets the trains get natural light, and makes a great photo op. The paint might start fading over time...

Does your garage door drip water when it is open?

Back