Weekend Photo Fun Feb 1st, 2nd, 3rd and on.

Scratch built copy of the Stoney Creek Designs "Acme Dynamite" (which was itself a copy of a building in MR from the 70's) Built in O scalle using board buy board construction, addition and warehouse roofing are sheathed in K&S corragated siding cut into panels.

mdcustom, WOW! Beautiful work. In Fact great work from everyone this week who has posted a photo.

I have been using what little time I had to add the beginnings of a scratch built silo to the barn. This is about 30% done and have to put a roof on it finish the staves, paint it, and attach it to the barn (would be much closer to being finished but I ran out of the size wood I was using and am waiting for a package from Kappler to arrive). Ultimately the silo will be painted white as was the old Wood Stave Silo on the dairy farm I grew up on. My Father made farming history with that old silo. Got it written up in several farming magazines and in the local paper. Almost 200 people showed to see him fail the day he had it moved intact from one side of the barn to the other to be next to the Grange concrete stave silo. BTW it was a success and we got about 10 more years out the old girl before Dad didn't think it was going to hold up any more. She fell down of her own accord about 30 years ago. I figured it would be a good addition to the barn in 1925.

CowBarn4w.png

CowBarn5w.png

From the other side of the mountain (What the bear saw):

CowBarn6w.png

I will have to scratch build the silo chopper/loader as well and an old style canvas belt to run from it to a belt tractor. Then the corn can be brought in to fill the silo. (Hmmmm, of course then it won't be correct for august around here.... We didn't start harvesting corn for silage until late September........) Oh well, I'm gonna do it anyway! :D

BTW, since this is supposed to be Plainville Turkey farm as it might have been in 1925 (both a dairy and Turkey farm), does anyone know where domestic 1/87 turkeys can be had?????

Last edited by a moderator:
MD, that is some beautiful custom work. I'd almost be afraid to touch it in case something came out of place. I can break anything. :)

Ray, nice looking work on that barn and silo. I'm kind of surprised to see a wood stave silo since all the ones I remember are concrete. I suppose wood stave was more common early in the century. I guess it's like building a really big water tank. I had a quick look at Walthers and they have just about every kind of animal but a turkey. Several different kinds of chickens, though, so I suppose a little paint and who would know the difference?

Jerome, you're faster than any guy I know. It would take me about a month to finish one of those. Nice work on top of it.

Hillside is coming up in the world. Micro Structures Advertising Company decided to mount an animated billboard for H&C Coffee on top of one of the taller buildings in town. Very eyecatching although I can't show the animation too well in a still picture. This what it looks like completely lit:

MainstwithBilboardMedium.jpg

P&N 638 had her blown piston fixed and is shown pulling a cut of cars from the yard. Spike is looking a little concerned about the state of the yard trackage:

638pullingcarsintheyardMedium.jpg

Great work everyone! I haven't had time to work on the layout for a few weeks now, to much work! Oh well could be much worse, could have nothing to do.

Carl,

I was actually following a prototype of that Conrail engine. Tell me what ya think, did I catch it right??

100_1474.jpg

Mar8CR3391275jpg25231.jpg

Sorry to those who also view the Trains.com MR forum because I'm posting these photos over there too.

This weekend between watching the European Tour that Tiger just won, FBR Open, a local layout tour yesterday, and church and the Super bowl, I've been working on this Athearn Blue Box BNSF H1 Dash 9. The other H2 is a Kato AC4400 that I've finished but need to paint the grab bars on the top of the nose. I've added working ditch lights to this Athearn and re-did the railings by purchasing new plastic ones from Athearn themselves. They are much better than the metal ones. Everything else is from Details West except the A-Line windshield wipers. I've even took the old window piece out and cut out each piece and fit them into each opening. I didn't use the right kind of glue to fix them in but hey it looks like they are getting fogged up, which is fine for me since I model cold Montana.

The engine still isn't finish and I don't really like posting something that isn't finished on here but oh well.
IMG_3160.png

IMG_3161.png

Hi friends!!!

I can see that you're very busy having fun this weekend, excellent pics from all!!!

Well, outside there are around 94ºF so I prefer to work on my caboose, still trying to finish... probably I'll make it today. Then I have to make a diorama for it.

I add some effects like a broken window...How it looks???

See ya!!!

Zak,,, stunning all the same, nice work
Mike, the broken window looks great, thats attention to detail i'd be proud of

I think I'm starting to figure out my digital camera. Here's a few close-up shots of the SW1200rs delivering some empty flats to the sawmill.

switchersawmill2.png

switchersawmill1.png

Jerome, don't want sound like a nitpicker like the guys at the modelsweathered site but I think you've got it just about right. The only real change I'd make is to rust up the fuel tanks a little more so it matches the trucks and darken up the cab roof a little more. A very credible job any standards, however.

Vite, nice double stacker you've got. How does she run?

Jeffrey, I'm blind! :)

Zack, nice job on both engines although the Athearn one really caught my eye. Those flush windshields really improve the prototype look of the locomotive.

Mike, the caboose is coming along great, even down to the cracked door window. Are those Adlake markers?

Glen, much nicer pictures. Do you have any photo editing software? If you do, you could crop out the blurred foreground and zoom in on the loco to make the pictures even better.

Ive been following a forum thread "Sound is it worth it" and was intrigued by the comment that sound has a long way to go as a DCC Sound loco only adds the loco noise and no ambient noise. So I decided to trawl the net for some noises. After a bit of digging I found a site that has free sounds (Its called the freesound project)
After a bit of playing with a mp3 mixer program I knocked together a 8 min background sound. The plan is to either try it played on an mp3 player under the layout or CD player.

In the meantime I tried overdubbing it on an existing video, which meant I lost the original sound of the class 20.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UTAkhISYpWQ

What do you think, I think it has potential. Once I get my new Elite that is replacing the faulty Dynamis I will try a video with the sounds played in the background. and a DCC Sound loco aswell

John
RJR

This weekend I worked on a new roof rusting technique that Matt showed me.

img1482wo3.jpg

I also applied a little more rust to the sides, to add to the earlier weathering with pastels.
img1478ij2.jpg

img1479dc7.jpg

img1480kp5.jpg

img1481am2.jpg

John, I think that has a lot of potential. You could mix different MP3 files and then output them to speakers located in strategic places. That station announcement is a good example. It would be nice to hear traffic in the background when the train is by a road and the pastoral sounds when the train is out in the country. Even some sounds of aircraft flying overhead or school kids playing would be cool. I guess the issue would be some kind fo detection system that would trigger each MP3 file to play. Keep at it, John, non-locomotive sound may become the next DCC. :)

Zephyr, that one of the Rock 40 footer with the roof walk removed is particularly good. It doesn't look like a rustbucket but it definitely looks like it's in the last days. Hard look to capture but you did a fine job.

Mike, the caboose is coming along great, even down to the cracked door window. Are those Adlake markers?

I've buy this caboose on ebay with another six from an old man collection, the only information that I have is the caboose was buy on 1969, and during the first month he add some details.
How I know? See the card pic.

And the last details I made today...

Regards

Back