Weekend Photo Fun 27, 28, 29

jeffrey-wimberly

Dr Frankendiesel
I've been doing some work on the park scene and also did some ballasting on the back side of the layout.

P1010018-8.jpg

P1010020-8.jpg

New arrival on my Maine layout, F7A(m) #52.
My ficticious Massachusetts Bay & Southern Maine, a subsidiary of Guilford Rail System, was thrust into bankruptcy in late 1998. A group of private investors bought the northern most leg and created the Central Maine Railroad Co, and aquired an F7A so far for motive power. This will mostly see tourist service, hence the HEP addition, but there will be occasional freight needs for a couple of on line customers.
Dullcoat to follow in the morning :)

f7-2.jpg

f7-5.jpg

Hummm, amazing start to the weekend, I'm afraid my photos this weekend might not compare!

It's looking better all the time, Jeff. What a great scene you have going there.

Siggy, that's quite the improved model you have fashioned. Very nice.

DJ, you continue to inspire me with your imagery. I think the accolades coming your way are richly deserved.

For this week, a Norfolk & Western Y Class Mallet hisses and rumbles past an open pasture leaving the horses undisturbed. They know the old gal.

IMG_2254pshopped.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Grampy - I look forward to reading about your layout in one of the magazines. That picture with the three Pennsy's crossing the bridge is a thing of beauty.

It reminds me of my childhood in the Cheat River Valley.

Great photos guys!

Crandell, that steamer rolling thru the countryside is an impressive site.

GrampysTrains, the detail level of your modeling is exceptional! You can certainly count me as a fan of your work. :)

Dave, nice work on that F unit conversion. Is that a drop step on the front of the unit? Never seen that before. :) Nice job with those stripes too.

Grampy, beautiful scene and those Pennsy diesels look like they are real thing crossing that bridge.

Crandell, nice shot of that Y6b but it's too clean. :D I'm used to them looking like the coal they haul.

Spent the morning track side. I started out in Garrett as storm clouds gather.

IMG_0428.jpg

My goal for the day was to catch a Indiana Northeastern move, but ounce I figured out that wasn’t going to happen I went over to Montpelier and found NS power sitting at the yard office.

IMG_0429.jpg

Next I found an ageing SW at the grain elevator.

IMG_0432.jpg

Next I got lucky and caught the roadrailer blasting past the old depot, now in private hands from the overpass.

IMG_0449.jpg

On the way back I shot this trailertrain at track speed.

IMG_0464.jpg

Then one of my favorite spots. State line on the double track NS line that parallels US6.NS has been replacing the signals on this line and I think these are next.:(
IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

I'm taking a break from trains for awhile and doing something a little different. I need to add vehicles to the JTEX fleet, so here are the first ones.

100_2378.jpg

100_2379.jpg

100_2381.jpg

Awesome once again this weekend, simply awesome!

I managed to find a few minutes now and then to work on the hillside below the farm. Finally beginning to come together for me. (Please ignore the bits of foam scenery sitting on the tracks.... At least I picked up the tools before taking the photo......)

Decapod #279 pulls a consist of freight cars out of the tunnel upgrade to do some switching up on Bare Hill.

Hillside04w.png

To the left of that is a waterfall cutting through the Finger Lakes Devonian Shale near the lower tracks:

Hillside03w.png

Ray, that looks great!, You know what would look cool is where the waterfall is cutting through the rock formation, to have the water uncovering some dinosaur bones or maybe a flying saucer.:cool:

GREAT PICTURES EVERYONE!!!

This week, I managed to knock out two new covered hoppers. They are custom painted and decaled for ElastoFlo using decals from Highball Graphics. I've waited some time for the Atlas 5800 centerflow hoppers to be released before starting this project, as I've found the 5800 to be a better match for the prototype car than any other HO scale plastic pellet hopper on the market. That being said, the car is not a perfect match, so they are indeed "foobies"...

IMG_8412.jpg

IMG_8413.jpg

IMG_8416.jpg

IMG_8420.jpg

IMG_8417.jpg

And while we're at it (since they were in the same train), here are the NYCS C&D cars that I completed a few weeks ago:

IMG_8407.jpg

IMG_8408.jpg

IMG_8409.jpg

IMG_8410.jpg

IMG_8411.jpg

IMG_8423.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited by a moderator:
mtrpls, I wish those shelf couplers looked better... Heck, I wish Sergent would DO SOME, both bottom and double shelf, and a Tight lock would be nice (BNSF seems to have them on most Dash 9's and all the ES44's).

The Tri-Rail F40PH project is nearly done. Hope to be able to mail it off to the customer this coming weekend (working around the 4th of course). And yes, I noticed the 8 looks funny. The Microscale decal bled!! I forgot to touch it up, but will do so before I mail it off.
View attachment 10027

View attachment 10028

Here's an LBF RTR TBOX I recently purchased. Very nice, though they left some of the sprue on the doors, so they don't sit correct. I have yet to fix that.
View attachment 10029

mtrpls, I wish those shelf couplers looked better... Heck, I wish Sergent would DO SOME, both bottom and double shelf, and a Tight lock would be nice (BNSF seems to have them on most Dash 9's and all the ES44's).

Josh,

I will never use the Sergent couplers. Although they may look more realistic, my main problem with them is the fact that they are not operational with other brands of knuckle couplers. A major issue for me is being able to have my equipment run in other people's trains, and vice versa. Since I have a system of virtual interchange in place, where I frequently send my rolling stock to distant layouts, you can see why this is important.

Then there's the high price.

I'm a Kadee man, 100% through and through. I don't even use the scale couplers, as I find the small size of the coupler reduces contact face for vertical play... a problem that becomes very apparent on modular layouts. I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of realism for rock-solid performance and interchangeability with everyone else's rolling stock.

Back