Weekend Photo Fun 2-20/2-22

Hi: I'll start WPF this week. An SD45 no.6174 with a through freight approaching the yard.

P1030243.jpg

Nothing new from me this week as I was holding down a hospital bed for a few days. Here are some cars I received in the mail from some friends for use in future projects.

Too shiny. Needs weathering.
DSCN0621.jpg

Same for this one.
DSCN0628.jpg

This car is giving me some ideas for a MoW project.
DSCN0631.jpg

Hi: Jeffrey, I hope you're feeling better and on the mend. My wife tells me that what you had could be very serious. Anyway, I'm glad to see you back.

Grampy~ I really like the elevation change that is shown in your layout, looks good.

Jeffrey~ Nice additions to your collection there. Glad to see you back here.

Went to the train show in Asheville, NC today and got some bargains for the pike. Got all the track pieces for $20, the tank for $5, these two car kits and the four cars in the next post for $25. I think i did pretty good, especially on the track, over $113 at current retail.

Nice photo Gramps, I hope that train was stopped while you took that shot!

Here are a couple shots from the past week or so...

My freelance road, the SouthWestern Ontario just finished work on a pair of ex CSX nee CR SD60I's. This is one of their first revenue trips, they have gotten a little more dirty over the past few days ;)
swo3802-fbj-021709a.png

I also just finished some Athearn Genesis 60' PS boxcars letter for my club's railroad, the Windsor & Midwestern. These cars were a great deal from Micro-Mark, but the bodies are a little twisted, no wonder they were on sale!
wmrc602117-fbj-021709.jpg

The last few shots are of some well cars I weathered using rubber cement to mask some of the reporting marks. Just paint the area with rubber cement, let it dry, then airbrush the dirt. After the dirt is dry, use your finger to gently rub the rubber-cement off. I am very happy with the result, though I got a little too heavy with the airbrushed dirt I think.
Atlas well car
DTTX456200-fbj-013109.png

Kato 3 unit articulated well car
DTTX732750-fbj-013109.png

Walthers well car
CP527988-fbj-013109.png

And one more... An Athearn SD40-2 that I detailed several years ago. I had this out to see if it still ran, and it did! So I'll be able to bring it to the Essex (Ontario) Train Show next weekend.
cp5742-fbj-013109a.png

For anyone in the Hamilton / Toronto area, the Copetown train show is this Sunday. It is a great time to meet some of the Canadian vendors like Rapido and RailFlyer Model Prototypes.

These came from a group I wish I could have gotten all of, but money is not unlimited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice images of good modelling above, Gentlemen. Nicely done! I really like the ballasting and multiple tracks in the images by CP9302.

Here is my weekly image. It is late 1944 and the Pennsy has been taking delivery of powerful new Texas type J1 2-10-4 super power for about 15 months by now. The newest delivery in the lastest purchase is #6170 about to take on water and coal on her way through Seneca Falls to her final destination at Sentinel. The yard master in the foreground is pausing a few moments getting a solid look at this new monster.

IMG_4359csharpres.png

Fred: nice container ship as a background flat.

Here is something a bit different for my usual narrow gauge builds, this is part of a large city in O scale set in the transition era C&O/N&W layout in Virginia. Where the road juts out in front of the building is where it will be carried over the yard trackage on a steel viaduct. The Hotel Gwendolyn that I built last month goes in the space in front of the "Tiger/Green Spot" buildings.

Excellent pics so far everyone! This weekend is the big train show here in Denver, so I won't be able to get any modeling done or pictures uploaded.

Shaun, great job on that new video. The sound really brings it to a new level of realism, doesn't it?

Nice work folks!
I've been busy cutting up the "old" layout and pasting together the new one.
A smaller less complicated version that frees up a lot of space and opens up the windows.
Here's the new and improved Fuerst Matthes Papermill getting a test fit of track and switches.

Some fantastic modeling going on out there as always!

I have been continuing with the creation of line poles this week. I have also been working on a total rewiring of the 120V power under the layout (for wall warts, etc) but that just isn't that photogenic...... Hope you like these!

LinePoles06w.png

LinePoles05w.png

Excellent work as usual. One of these days I'm going to actually get down to the layout and take some more pictures.

Gramps, nice train but I espeically like the miltiple track levels you have.

Jeffrey, good to hear you at least back home and have some rolling stock to torture again. :)

Fred, some railroad should hire you to design their paint scheme. That's one of the most attractive I've seen. I like the results from the rubber cement too. Thanks for a good idea.

jtudor, some nice old Athearn BB cars you picked up. Great deal on that track. I don't know why I'm never at a place that has any deals going on. :(

MD, very nice cityscape buildings. I have the H&C Coffee animated billboard and love it. The size really looks more realistic in O scale.

Shaun, nice work on the models, the video, and special effects. Amazing what can be done whenyou know what you're doing. :D

NYW&B, your fall scenery is outstanding.

Rico, nice progress on the new layout. I'm great believer in less track and more room for the rest of the world.

Ray, those new poles along with track weathering and detailing really make that scene. I like the crossarms hanging from the trestle.

I didn't like the old scenery in this corner of the layout. So I decided to make it more photogenic and interesting.

Cardboard strips.
2206_499934257709202235_1162_n.jpg

Plaster cloth went up last night.
n116400015_30293692_176.jpg

I also added contact joints to my lift out bridge. I did a pretty bad soldering job, Iron needs cleaned or a new tip.

2206_499934257709202249_5175_n.jpg

2206_499934257709202247_4587_n.jpg

2206_499934257709202244_3704_n.jpg

I also got my new piece of trackwork installed on the other lift out bridge.

n116400015_30293699_2437.jpg

And lastly, I received my new SF F7B Unit. I just need to paint the trucks yet.

n116400015_30293701_3099.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back