Weekend Photo Fun 1_27_06

Hot Dang! We have iron being poured. Wow, Ken it looks great! I believe that I need a cold glass of water. Sure has got warm all of a sudden.:D

William: I just cut up some Oak limbs to size. Nothing special.

Sheeh Ken, more impressive every time you post! *SLOW DOWN!* kidding, keep right on going, I look forward to this every weekend...

KEN "THE MAN" LARSON the BOF look's fantastic.

Here's my contribution, no modelling just the real thing this weekend. We went to the East Lancs Railway winter steam event lots of train riding over the sixteen miles or so they own, the ruling grade from Bury to Rawtenstall
1' in 100'ft and from Bury east is 1' in 35' and then to Heywood is 1' in 75' so you get some fantastic stack music.
as a guide UK steam loco's have a power rating from class 1 to 9 (9 most powerfull) and P or F (passenger & Freight)
here is class 8P pacific 6201 at Irwell vale in a very low winter sun
127576270.gif

and here is class 8P pacific 6201 again
127576165.gif

here is standard class 4 (P&F) 76079 at Rawtenstall leaving south for Bury
127576034.gif

here is class 9F 2-10-0 92214 at Bury
127575782.gif

and a side shot of 92214 with the blowdown equipment and injector pipes etc
127575858.gif

*Headache...* So today, I was surfing for pictures and stuff to buy on eBay, and I decided I'd do some work on my Copper Range Baldwin S12, #200.
Prototype on the copperrange.org site:
copr200.jpg

And... MY S12:
View attachment 2796 View attachment 2797
As you can see she's "half primed". In a discussion on copperrange.org it was pointed that Floquil signal red is a good match for the CRRR Diesels, and Floquil primer grey for the grey. I'm using Testors primer, just because I have it handy, and it coats better. After the red is done and the decals are applied I'll faid it slightly, and add some road grime.

You know its quite had to model a tiny RR like CRRR, and getting these colors down is iffy. They matched the paint on CRRR #200 which is in Superior at the musuem there.

Next up two DS-4-4-1000's and the numerous BNSF units...

EDIT http://rr.blockchoice.com/crrr.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx again guys for the positive strokes ;)

Josh, it looks like you're off to a good start on that Baldwin!

Steve, great shots of that steam power - you're lucky to live so close to a place where they still use it regularly!

Chip, keep up the good work on indoctrinating that Future Model Railroader!

RexHea said:
I didn't see the WPF started anywhere so here we go. I finally finished enough of my Sawmill Ridge to post some photos. There are many more things to add, but they will be done in good time.

Rex, that is seriously nice! Your 'dirt' looks like real dirt and it probably is?
And those trees are beautiful! How'd you do them?
Jarrell

Ha! Ha! You're right! It is dirt dirt. Home grown Alabama red clay dirt, baked at 450deg for 1 hour (kill the little critters) and appied with white glue/water mix. Man, it's like concrete:D

Jarrell, here is a link to the wild bush blooms that I use for my trees. I am sure that you will be able to find some in your area. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/131/

I usually drive down country roads that are lined with forest growth and try to spot Oakleaf Hydrangea bushes. This time of the year would make it hard to recognize them, but even with the little flowers gone the bloom stem should still be good to use. In the late Spring, Summer, and fall you will be able to spot them easily by the white bloom clusters that will be all over them.

Procedure is simple: I first take scissors and clip the little white blooms off the bloom cluster and leave the little seed pods on. After shaping the 'tree' a bit, I dip it in a paint bucket of 5:1 white glue/water mix. Then sprinkle ground foam first on the underside and then on the topside. The color will be your choice, but I use a med green/mix followed by a lite sprinkling of a lighter color.

EASY and CHEAP!

Back