Weekend Photo Fun 1_27_06

I dug out a thingie I made a few years ago to copy slides with a digital camera this weekend. I had a point and shoot 3.1MP camera at the time, and while it worked, the small size of the resulting files didn't make it worthwhile to use.

I modified it so I could use in with my Canon Digital Rebel XT (8MP), and this is what it looks like:

SlideCopying.png

I'm using my Canon 50mm lens here, and to get in close enough to almost fill the frame with the slides, I had to add close up lenses: a +4, +2, +1 and a +3 diopter ones. I have two series of close up lenses, in 52 and 55mm diameters, so had to use adapters between the last ones. The plastic tube is a thinwall pipe leftover from the installation of our central vacuum system.

I've glued an empty plastic slide mount to the end of the tube, and added some styrene strips to act as guides to hold the slides in place. Little lugs on the sides are used to hold the assembly onto the lenses with rubber bands. The inside of the tube and mount are painted flat black. Funny looking, cheap and it works!

To use, I just point the camera to the circular fluorescent bulb in my desk lamp/magnifyer. I shoot at f/11, and the shutter speeds are relatively slow, but I hand hold it as the subject in the slide isn't moving during the exposure. No color correction was needed in the slides, and the camera is set to auto white balance.

Here's a much reduced image from one of my slides:

HeloFlatcar.png

Very nice Bob, but wouldn't it be easier to buy a flatbed scanner, and then use either the negitive setting, or switch the scanned image afterwards on a comp? Oh well, nice though, like the slide's image!!!

Bob! Which guy is you in that slide taking the pictures? ;)

Nice idea. In reference to Josh's question, is the resolution better with the camera method, or is it the same using camera vs flat bed scanner?

I do have a flatbed scanner with slide copying capabilities, a Canon Canoscan D660U. I bought it a few years ago mainly for this capability, but was disappointed. It will only scan slides (and negatives) at 120DPI, which is good enough for e-mails or web pages, but not for much else.

There are better ones out these days with much higher resolution. I was just checking out the specs on one recently, think it will go up to 3000DPI. But when I saw one in an area camera shop for $600.00, I lost interest. I don't really have a great need for a lot of slide scans, but it will be nice to be able to use my camera to do what I do want.

Also my limited experience with using my flatbed is the process is fairly long, it takes about 5 minutes to do one slide. I have to preview the slide first, then select the area to be scanned, and wait until the unit runs a check on the lamp (there is no choice, it's the way it works). So it can take quite some time to do a bunch of slides or negatives.

With the camera set up, it's just a matter of sticking the slide in the holder and shooting.

300-500dpi isn't that high, my HP one thats like 3 years old was $150 for 250dpi. Oh well, what works, works! P.S. if you scan a negitive and use a program like IRfanView you cen "flip" it. Oh well. Off to watch Boondock Saints!

My son Shane's layout.

I still have to paint the lines on the streets, glue down the buildings, and staple in some plastic trees. But this is what I've been doing for the last 3 weeks.

Layout overciew 36 x 85"

shanelayout01.gif

North Western 2000 drops cars to be loaded with cattle and heads into the engine house.

shanelayout02.gif

The lumber yard and hardware store is a busy place.

shanelayout03.gif

There is always time for boating.

shanelayout04.gif

Thomas picks up passengers and LCL freight.

shanelayout05.gif

Very cool Chip! To be honest, I wold probably get hours of fun out of that myself, not putting it together, but actually operating it :)

NZRMac said:
Great work guys, Rex is there a runaround track at sawmill ridge, how did the logs and box cars get in front for spotting:confused: or am I not surposed to ask!?:D :eek:

Ken.

:D It's a Military Secret! Shhhhhhh!:D

Actually, there will be a run-around before the tunnel/trestle that will accomplish this in the near future. I have to finish some rock work in that area first.;)

Space: I'll bet it is hard to pry Shane away from his layout. It looks like a lot of fun for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Chip those pics of Shane's layout really take me back to the days when my boy was into Brio. I helped him setup some pretty elaborate track arrangements, I'll bet I had just as much fun doing that with him as I ever had with "real" modeling:D . It's great when you don't have to worry about weathering or handrails breaking off...

Morning Rex. I was wondering,what are using for your logs? Small twigs,small wooden dowels,or whatever you have in your backyard?William.

OK, here's something from me:

An overall view of the East end of the BOF shop...
13_broad_view_east.jpg

...and a view of the West end, including the ingot teeming area:
14_broad_view_west.jpg

A closeup view of the "charging" area:
15_hot_metal_charge.jpg

An even closer-upper view of a hot iron charge:
16_hot_metal_charge_closeup.png

yabadaybadaybadayabadayabadayabada thats all folks!:p

CSX_road_slug said:
OK, here's something from me:

An even closer-upper view of a hot iron charge:
16_hot_metal_charge_closeup.png

Darn it Ken that photo melted the monitor!!:D Looks fantastic Sir, looking forward to more shots.

Ken.

Well, gosh-dang...thank you one and ALL for the kind feedback!:eek:

NZKen, my apologies about the monitor, I'll get you a replacement next time I am in your town...

Back