Weekend Photo Fun 12/21/07 to .........

Jim, This is what I'm trying to make it look like, but I can't get the colour of the dark wood any close to the real one :( even though I'm using the right colurs

gueterwagen-137969.jpg

weathering_car_6_sm.jpg

Maxi, maybe some red mixed with white until it's just barely red would be better. Painted wood tends to fade back to bare woood, which is almost never black. It just tends to get lighter and lighter with some the original paint still showing. Sometimes roughing up the original paint with fine sandpaper is an easy way to get this effect. OTOH, if that's a real car in the first picture, I don't know what happened to it but you've got it just right except the roof wasn't rusted on that one.

The first picture is indeed a real one, and about the roof I know its not rusted, but I wanted to rust mine :p.

The wood colour I cannot replicate is the blackened wood, which has stripped off the paint and got the weathering effect on ( black ). The last two panels of my car has not yet been weathered, only the first 4 from the left side has been, and still trying to fix the colours of the black wood, I only need to figure out what I am missing. I also need to get that bronzy dirt colour that's on the door right too. Well with some colour experimenting, I should get there, but the wood is really tricky.

Been getting down to some track dirtying thanks to Ken's mixture of gloop he showed us last year or was it this year, can't remember???. anyhow got about half way through the three modules, just got to add more feeder wires and i can finnish it off and ballast it up then do the rusty rails last along with a final wash of thinned down black gunk, it's an engine facility so loads of spilled diesel and oil, these are some shots i took in 1984 to which the model will relate to,,, hopefully
84collection.jpg

Maxi, I can't quite tell what they were trying to do with that prototype car but it looks like someone was removing the red paint by hand since I can see the sanding marks. It looks like the white streaks are the white primer under the red paint or they are what's left of the primer and the base wood really is black. Or, the car caught on fire. :) Whatever it is, it really looks to me like you've got it down pretty good. If you look at your rusted roof and then look at the door of that car, it looks to me like a pretty even layer of a lighter color rust than what you have on the roof. Try thinning that roof rust mixture down even more and using it on the door.

Steve, I don't know how it is in the UK now but those gloppy engine yards here are now almost clean enough to eat off of. :) The Environmental Protection Agency has really cracked down on railroads for contaminating ground water so all the engine tracks have catch basins and the area around the track is paved. The fluids flow to a central basin where they are trucked out and treated as hazardous waste. Quite a different world that the grease and crud that used to cover the ground around every facility. I'm sure it's better for the environment but engine service facilities just don't look right now.

Jeffrey, that big white nose needs something. I'm not sure what, but something. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Try thinning that roof rust mixture down even more and using it on the door.

I will try take your advice and thin some of that mixture for the door.

As for the wood, sometimes I saw wood that with extreme rain and sun, it built up a kinda fungus which when dry it turns black or white, so in that case the wood will not neccesarily have been burnt or primed. Look at the following photo, with lumber left outside in the sun

displayimage.php

Well checking the families schedule for the next couple of days, Im guessing today will be my last chance to post Pre Christmas.

Id just like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very Merry Christmas, Ive really enoyed being involved in WPF over the last few months and have been inspired by so many of you.

Ive just finished a video of the layout todate which can be found here. (I cant believe that the videos I have put on Youtube have collected 20,000 views !!)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2z43kfnvHeM

John
RJR

Very nice modeling and production work on that video, John. I love the "Star Wars" effects on the titles. :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

My contribution to the thread is, unfortunately, a rerun from last year when a snowball fight broke out as Santa's "new hires" were helping hand out gifts...:D
212338652.jpg

Eric, that still a good picture. Kind of looks like a few of the new waitresses at Flo's got dressed up in Santa suits. :)

Maxi, I suppose that the wood could have weathered that black but it seems unlikely. I'm sure that car was painted for most its life and hasn't been running around in that state for that last 20 years. I'm also pretty certain that the wood was new when the car was built. A thought did come to me that American railroads, back in the days when wood cars were common, would strip peeling paint with a blowtorch, sand it down, and then repaint the car. I wonder if that could be the explanation for that car?

I guess I posted these in the wrong thread earlier. Better late than never.

Nice images in this thread. Sorry it is so late to comment meaningfully.

IMG_1618cadjr.JPG

IMG_1612cadjr.JPG

More work on the warehouse. I had to get the track in before I could place the building, and this is my first attempt with code 55. I put it down by heating it with a soldering iron and then rubbing it on a hot-melt glue stick, then heating it again to install it in place. It seems to have worked quite well, but we'll see if the rail starts to pop up again! I'll get that little grade crossing bedded in better soon. And yes, scenery on the other side of the track is needed.

In the second picture, notice how part of the frame of the personnel door isn't painted? We ought to avoid taking closeup photos: it leads to more work.

Last edited by a moderator:
well no pics for me today. But I was finally able to figure out how to get the kadee 505's to fit into my very old rivarossi CNJ 6 axle coach. Lots of cutting, trimming and sanding. And a screw where I dont think it was supposed to go but now i have kadee's on it. Just need to get 1 more pack for my observation car and diaphrams.

So many great contributions, so little time (for me to comment meaningfully on every single one of them).

Jerome, I've got to say that your first weathering job looks much better than my first! Takes lotsa practice and experimentation, but eventually even I hope to do as good as Aggro with mine.

Steve - Your yard area is coming together quite nicely! Was it my progress shots of the IronBelt receiving yard that you're referring to? One of the things I learned later was, that latex paint is like glue once it dries. So I hope your trackwork is positioned the way you want it, otherwise loosening it will be a royal pain...!

John T - how do you manage to squeeze so many into that shed of yours? It always looks alot larger than it is, coulda' fooled me! :D

Josh, that BNSF unit is a masterpiece! Did you print any of those decals yourself?

Smoke, nice weathering on that Dark Future unit!

Jim - ditto on your reefer!

Max, I think your boxcar is quite convincing!

Brad, the Katy's green/yellow livery was always my favorite! Do you by any chance have a model of their F7 A-unit-turned-B with the painted-over windshield?

Ray - you've given a whole new meaning to the phrase "Give a man enough rope..." That scene sure looks like a moonlit night, it's gonna take me a lot of time to get my own layout primed for nighttime scenes.

GrandeMan - glad to see you finally taking some model pix with your XTi for a change <LOL>!

Jeffrey - how you planning to finish up that PA1 snout? Don't keep us in suspense...

Crandel - always enjoy viewing your Western PA countryside scenes!

John P - that warehouse looks great! Is it a 'wall unit'? I'm looking at doing something similar.

If I missed anybody I apologize - it's just getting so durn late (11:45pm EST) and I haven't been getting enough sleep lately. Besides, I've got some of my own pix to share this week...

First, a brief history: When I finished building my model blast furnace 5 years ago, I duplicated the Walthers kit components exactly - simply increased their dimensions by 50% to achieve true HO scale. What I didn't realize at the time, was that Walthers made a major mistake in how they connected the piping to their gas washer. First, a shot from the "archives" (the gas washer is the cylinder in the middle, with two circular catwalks near the top):

slide038.jpg

Walthers had the intake positioned at the top, with the outflow pipe immediately below it. But on prototype gas washers, the intake is always toward the bottom (after all, hot gas rises - it needs to flow from the bottom to the top to get the particulate matter sprayed out of it!) Fixing this blunder seemed like a daunting task, then recently it dawned on me that I didn't need to hand-cut the curved piping segments like I originally did - I could use Plastruct (well, duh...)! So a quick visit to the Plastruct website, and 5 days later I had everything I needed to correct the Walthers Error.

Here's a shot of the unpainted parts in their destined locations:

AfterError_UnPainted01.jpg

Just like doing bodywork on an automobile, it's tough to get the repaint colors to match exactly with the original. Oh well, at least prototype blast furnace mills are being continually repainted so their colors don't always match either.

Here's an overall view. Sorry about the dark shadows, I just didn't have enough time to setup extra floodlights to keep any unwanted silhouettes off the 'sky':

AfterError_FullView01.jpg

Here's a closeup. The new pipes are mostly hidden form view. Nada problem, it's preferable to having the incorrect ones stick out like sore thumbs!

AfterError_CloseUp01.jpg

...and that's it for me, for tonite. Merry Christmas y'all!

Nice job Ken!

Well I have a series of pics to share with ya'll. If ya remember, I mentioned I got me a new SD7 last month. I acquired for my RR a SD7 UP#776 BLI Blueline series with all the bells and whistles. I really am pleased with it! So I took her for a spin on my local club layout. Sorry I did not do a story line but will next time. As you will see I put it through some good runs. Plenty of grades. The o'l girl performed well. I did turn the volume down a tad. I also ran my own rolling stock that I detailed, weathered and retrofitted to meet NMRA standards. (kadees, proto wheels and weights) I ran 7 cars...3 pipe loads, 1 ballast car and 3 box cars plus one caboose. I didnt want to make to much work for her on her first outing. Just a little break in period ya know? I ran her long hood first but forgot to take pics of that then ran her short hood forward. Enjoy this series of pics!

View attachment 8072

View attachment 8073

View attachment 8074

View attachment 8075

Back