Weekend Photo Fun 11-04-05

Ken: Am I missing something or do you not have a way to turn your locos around? No big deal, just curious.

Here's a couple piece I restored for the club.

club01.gif

club02.gif

RexHea said:
Ken: Am I missing something or do you not have a way to turn your locos around? No big deal, just curious.
Rex, the point-to-point operations I plan to do, involve diesel hood units in pairs (one facing each direction) or switchers - no steam :eek: .

[Later edit] I suppose if I really wanted to accommodate steam power, I can stick a short turntable on that new spur hanging off the mine tracks, and another at the end of the staging yard. (None of the tracks shown in [blue]blue[/blue] have been permanently fastened yet.)

My current space limitation doesn't allow a full-sized engine terminal and a slag pit. I have ideas that might eventually offer a workaround solution, but I'd rather make a fool of myself in private before I discuss them here and discover they don't work!:D

[An even later edit:] Here is the diagram showing where I might place my 90' turntables. As to when I'll actually get them, that is anybody's guess - I'd need to scrape up a minimum of $80.00 for 2 kits, and $600 to get them built-up.
layout_sm_20051105_bare_tt_new.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken: Ok! That is explains it. But, what about tomorrow when that good looking "F" or "E" unit comes along. You never know. The turntable placement looks good. Another option would be to add a room or go through the wall and.....and....:D

Chip: Looking good with your restoration. I really like that fuel tank.

KEN, heres the new hill with a road on it, a long way from completion but it's looking good
117998485.gif

this Porsche driver found out to late there are no guardrails or railroad crossing signs, whooops
117998418.gif

Brian, nice work on that Milwaukee SD7/9 - I've always loved those first generation SD's with a missing fuel tank, the B&O had quite a few of those for branch line service.

Steve - I see you're putting that recycled clay to good use, looks like it hasn't fully dried yet. That hapless Porsche driver must have been a kid borrowing his Dad's car - who else would be foolish enough to drive a sports car on a dirt road <LOL>:D Good work, can't wait to see the finished product!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip,
Any idea who makes that fuel tank. It looks like maybe IHC(?). The
reason I ask is that it's along the lines of what I need. I have a coaling
tower and a water tower for my steam locos... but my diesels are in need
of fuel! And it looks to be just about the right size. Thanks, Dave

GatorDave said:
Chip,
Any idea who makes that fuel tank. It looks like maybe IHC(?). The
reason I ask is that it's along the lines of what I need. I have a coaling
tower and a water tower for my steam locos... but my diesels are in need
of fuel! And it looks to be just about the right size. Thanks, Dave

My guess is that it is Revell. It started out as a Gosh-awful orange color, but the detail is pretty good and paint's up well. You might have to find it on eBay. The good news is you shouldn't have to pay much for it.

Ken,
Just an idea...
How about putting the turntable here instead:
View attachment 2070

This would give you room for some loco tracks and possibly a roundhouse.
Unless, of course, this area already has a purpose. Good luck, Dave

Thanks Chip,
I'm going to look around and see what I can find. I don't have a lot
of space for anything huge. Something like what you posted would be perfect.
I'm sure someone makes what I need... time to crack open the Walthers
book. Dave

Awful lot of track in that space - remember to leave room for buildings! They tend to take up a lot more room than you first envisioned...

GatorDave said:
Ken,
Just an idea...
How about putting the turntable here instead:
This would give you room for some loco tracks and possibly a roundhouse.
Unless, of course, this area already has a purpose. Good luck, Dave
Thanx Dave, I was eyeing that area myself, but I decided I just had to keep my slag quarry (where liquid slag is dumped, allowed to cool, then crushed and recycled) - it provides point-to-point operation between there and my blast furnace. [Also I have numerous Kibri models of heavy equipment specifically designed for that scene.] I agree with you though, a roundhouse would be great to have if the space was available...

JeffShultz said:
Awful lot of track in that space - remember to leave room for buildings! They tend to take up a lot more room than you first envisioned...
[Jeff - I'm just guessing you were addressing that to me?]
Yeah it is crowded I admit, I'll have to make use of false-front buildings wherever possible...

CSX_road_slug said:
Thanx Dave, I was eyeing that area myself, but I decided I just had to keep my slag quarry (where liquid slag is dumped, allowed to cool, then crushed and recycled) - it provides point-to-point operation between there and my blast furnace. [Also I have numerous Kibri models of heavy equipment specifically designed for that scene.] I agree with you though, a roundhouse would be great to have if the space was available...

Ken,
I see...
I had a similar problem. I had to go with a wye to turn my locos. I could
have used a turntable, but I would have had to get the 120' TT to turn
my larger equipment and I just didn't have the real estate.

I wish I had the space for the track you have! Looking good. Dave

Ken: All you have to do with the slag is what I told you my little people do each night...they dump it in the floor. See how easy it is to get more space.:D :D

Back