Weathered cars are still selling for rediculous prices.

It's nice... but not $300 worth of nice. That guy's making crazy money.

Its ebay same as a real auction people get caught up in getting some of this stuff just to beat the other guy. At least this guy unlike Mellow mike actually weathered the car and didn't just put a decal over it that comes off the car in a few years.

Impressive work and it appears that he could make a decent income from his weathering but I wouldn't pay that for a diesel let alone a freight car.

People are flippin nutz.

I can buy a whole lotta freight cars AND the tools and materials to weather them for that kind of money.

But, to each their own.

MPB

Not bad for a couple of minutes worth of work. Going on that price, a goodly number of my cars are worth 20-30 times what I paid for them. Now all I gotta do is put'em on E-bay, and I'll be rich!;):rolleyes:

I give the person who did this credit. I showed my dad, who has zero interest in trains, and he said it looked real. That impressed me. I give props to the person who created this, shows alot of talent.

As for the high bidder, well they might be in the shallow end of the gene pool or simply have too fat of a wallet.

I remember seeing another freight car here awhile back that was like $600. A Mellowmike I believe.

Did anyone else see the Blue Box Utah Belt SD40-2 on ebay? Last i checked it was headed for $200. However, as a fan of Mr. Brooman's layout, i would be willing to pay an excessive amount for something like that..... some day :D.

Just a thought, maybe the high bidder is a fan of this persons work, and is willing to pay such a high amount for it.

I've noticed the "Rich Cowboy on a Mountain" effect on Ebay before. I'll pay a slight premium for a weathered car, but not that much of a premium.

There is no way I would pay this kind of money for a weathered car. Even if the modeler is famous or popular in the weathering community. This is insane.
You must be a modeler then, and not a collector! Think of it this way. Go to a museum and check out some art. Some of those peices can sell into the 1000's. Oddly, thats what SOME of these weathered freight car buyers are doing, collecting art.

Now us modelers, we see it as a cheap freight car with some prototypical weathering.

Josh has a point about the collector thing.
I met one once who has a small shelf layout and only runs a dozen or so cars and two locos, no idea what his scenery looked like.
I have to say tho, the WPF threads here often show work of this caliber!
Having said that, wow! Good point about the cast on details, it's also listed as an Athearn but described as an Accurail. (okay , I'm nitpicking)
He states it has 33" wheels, I believe they should be 36?
(again, nitpicking?)
Well now I don't feel so bad for paying $80 for a Kato passenger car, somepeople look at me like I'm nuts for that!

Well in my humble opinion If that's what someone want, so be it.
Nothing wrong with that. If it goes for top dollars there must be
a market. How many people do you know can do something like that or
better?

Keep in mind that some weathered rolling stock and locomotive (with
details etc..) are a real work of art that required many, many, many hours.
It is a skill set by itself. Example? Just check this site:

http://www.modeltrainsweathered.com/

Sometimes I see "stuff" that makes me cringe, but hey! If it makes someone happy. Why not? If I ever developed that kind of skills (very doubtful) I would not give it [rolling stock or loco] away either.

Ok, off the soap box now

Cheers

Remember too, some of those guys don't even have layouts. They're strictly into "modeling" the weathering on a piece of equipment. The techniques the guys over at MTW use are quite extensive and they're not just throwing paint on a model.

I'd buy one if I could afford it, I'm not sure if I'd run it on the layout though. It might be more suited to a display case.

Nothing wrong with paying big bucks for a one of a kind, correct model of a prototype car but it is beyond me why anyone would spend that kind of money on a poorly detailed car and for that matter why anyone would spend all that time weathering a run of the mill car. I would be looking at weathering an upgraded car or a car that has fine detail to begin with, like an Intermountain, Railyard or similar car, not an Athearn Blue Box or an Accurail. All in all though, the weathering is pretty decent on this car, even if the car itself is lacking.

saw that one going past $200. Must be nice to have that kind of money to burn.

Must be nice. Up to 44 bids and they are all insane for paying that kind of money. It looks nice, but no way would I shell out over 300 bucks for it.

It's an Accurail 5600 series Exterior Post Boxcar. 33" wheelsets would be correct, as it is representative of a 70 ton boxcar.

Maybe one day, when I've gotten some experience, I'll be able to make some money on e-bay like that. Getting paid for art (not commissioned, just what I feel like doing), and making back the amount of time, effort, and materials (along with creativity), would be awesome.

Back