Weather Attempt 5

Nice work, I am also trying to weather my rolling stock and would like to pickup some tips.
Cheers,

http://cliffordconceicao3310.fotopic.net/c328807.html
The engines look great but the rolling stock I would recommend to painting the trucks brown to rid of that plstic truck look. Try fading the lettering some before streaking it. Alot of guys use magic eraser , but simple paint thinner on a rag will work too. Also if a car has been around long enough to get that grimey it should also have a build up of dust from the tracks on its lower region. Give it a mist of white mixed with grey on the lower half of the container. I think youll be pleased with the results. Kudos on your works, they look superb, keep it up! I hope my input helps.

20085181369_box%204.jpg

200851813710_box%205.jpg

20085181385_box%206.jpg

THIS ONE was an experiment. Layout lighting did not do it justice!
20085181392_box%207.jpg

I actually like this one alot. The repaint over the cn looks very prototypical. good exemply of a little is more than enough.

Thanks guys. Greatly appreciate your comments, opinions and all feedback.
I've been busy lately (travel: Europe, and work as usual) but should post some more soon

Thanks MLW for explaining your technique on page 5 ( the "Rag Technique" ) . You mention that you use diluted Polly Scale paints.
Could you please list the name ( or the Polly Scale number ) of the colors you were using for the CN boxcars. I'm modelling the CN too.

A big Thank You for that tutorial.

Jacques

Jacques, I will try to remember to list the paint(s) I use when I go in the basement again

n1vets333 wrote:

Why the light wash of rubbing alcohol? What does t do?

I use, or more correctly, I prefer rubbing alcohol because it mixes well with various type of paint, it is a very good thinner, eveaporate quickly and help in creating a "wash". Also if I am unhappy about the result it is easier to remove too.

MLW, I saw you posted how you do your washes, but did you mention your technique for rust? I love how you're able to get it so patchy.

I described it on my website and also in Canadian Railway Modeller Magazine which did an article on my Layout. Basically I used water-based paint, oil-paint, paint brush and cosmetic sponges for rust effect. The sponges are dabbed in paint and slightly in weathering powder and applied to the car. It take some practice. I also dilute paint with rubbing alchool to create a "rust color" wash and apply it with a wide paintbrush.

Hope this helps.

It usually increases the "value" of the car. The better looking (read: realistic) the weathering, the better. Mind you, I never sold any of my stuff and I don't think I would anyways. They are "good enough" for me, but may be "cheap" of "ugly" to someone else.

The biggest thing is to experiment on your weathering. Start out with some cars you won't mind trowing out if it doesn't work. Go slow, be patient and don't overdo it (like I do!!) You never know. You may have a talent for this.
Its not that complicated and there's only one secret: Patience.

I love the pitted rust - did you use the salt weathering technique for that? VERY realistic, kudos.

No, no salt technic.

I only use a brush (very fine), cosmetic sponges and that's it. Thanks for the comment.

All with a paintbrush, water-based paint and that's it.

Two weather boxcar I've been working on

SL&C 555300

box-weather-1-85dc3e.jpg

SL&C 555640
box-weather-2-85dc86.jpg

box-weather-3-85dc9d.jpg

box-weather-4-85dcb9.jpg

MILW, you Da'MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow outstanding super great,now if you would plz tell me how you did the grain hopper as I want to try it again outstanding !!!

MLW,went to wally world and got some make-spronge thingies and some odd looks, have a four day week-end going to give it a go :D

Thanks guys

The "how to" are on my website, as far as I could explain it anyways. :eek:

OK alot going on about weathering and I think its GREAT!! yeah I'm an "N" scaler and some look down on it:p well I love to weather!! I even weather my Micro-Trains I mean come on I can't eat them.:D

DSCN7232.png

DSCN7233.png

I'll burn in MT's hell for this one :D

DSCN7234.png

DSCN7235.png

DSCN7236.png

DSCN7238.png

Good before and after pics of going to the "weathering shop"
DSCN7240.png

DSCN7241.png

DSCN7242.png

DSCN7243.png

That CN switcher really came out good. The freight cars are a little heavy in spots but otherwise look good too.

Back