Weather Attempt 5

Steve B your gondola looks great. I'll try your technic on one of mine

roundhouse, I used a comsetic sponge, a few paint brush, acryllic paint, some weathering powder and lots of patience (I'm still working on that one)

CSX_road_slug, thanks for the kind words, but I'm far from being an expert!

I change the lighting, so here goes again

20061126132426_CH2.jpg

MLW, Hands down, Hats off, your work is Awesome! Now, can you do me one thing? Just for S&G, can you add a "Before" photo of the model, and then after you Weather it? I just want to see what kind of fade and difference in the weather job, but I am very much impressed in your work. I need to try and get some photos of my work on here. :p

Thanks guys

Sprinkles, I do not have a "before" shot of the above, but I'll try with my
next project:

Walthers 50' Airslide Covered Hopper

2006121215510_airslide.jpg

I'll post progress pics

Steve B I just "discovered" your well done weathered bb gondola. It is a - fine scale - job you did!

Jos

MLW It is always fun to look at your super weathered freightcars( and still like the ballasted tracks!)

Jos

I took more shot with better light, so here we go again:

Ready to go..

200712115236_CV1.JPG

Front truck and overall weather detail (rust, streaks, fading etc..)

2007121152419_CV2.JPG

Sitting at “La Chine” Yard

2007121152433_cv3.JPG

2007121152453_CV4.JPG

Thanks guys. I'll be working on another car soon. I'll post my progress as I go along.

In the meantime, here's some old pictures from a covered hopper I did last summer.
You can see the difference in look and texture. It turned out ok, but the roof is too dark
and the trucks are not that great. Now that I "know" a little bit more, I would do it differently.
However, it was a good project.

originaly posted 12 July 2006:

I dropped it. Yes! The fine details are broken. I found that weathering a pale color car is waaaay easier then a dark one.

2006711204832_CYL1.jpg

2006711204934_CYL2.jpg

2006711205137_CYL3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here goes another attempt. Not much merit on this one.
I used a fine mist of rubbing alcohol before applying some light weathering and a wash of acrylic paint diluted in same.

Very Nice weathering. Can you give more details on your method of weathering? I had a look at your website and see you are using weathering powders along with water and alcohol and you mention Polly S paint as well... do you mix this all together? Who's weathering powders are you using? If you could give us some insight into your technique it would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Nice work MLW. You seem to have mastered several different weathering techniques. You've inspired me give weathering a try.

Back