Very disappointed with MB Klein

Every supplier has pros and cons. It's possible that Klein is "overexposed" at this point and has too much business -- it looks like some new issues simply sell out there within a day. A few extra orders may cause problems. That's fine. The point of a multi-line highway is that you can change lanes if one is moving slowly.

Other options include Trainworld, Factory Direct Trains, Walthers (keep in mind that they put things on sale, it's worth checking) and for Bachmann, The Favorite Spot, which at the moment has more Bachmann in stock than Klein, at better prices.

If the main authority at Klein isn't in all that often and the others can't take initiative, though, it's a bad sign. In my experience, shops have good periods and bad, and they all eventually go downhill.

Well I'm sad to report that my last order with M.B. Klein just arrived, on time without issue. Drat.:rolleyes:

On Friday night, I found my advance notification e-mail, for some Bowser stuff, and sent my order in. Yesterday, I received the shipping notification, and today, the Post Office picked up the parcel from Kleins. Depending on the Postal Service I may have it by tomorrow, or Thursday at the latest. This is the normal timeline using USPS. UPS, would save a day, but it's not really worth the extra Five Bucks. My last Trainworld order, was received on day 1, filled on Day 2. and delivered on day 3,[no weekend involved], but their store in Brooklyn is only about 47 miles from home, where Kleins is over 200 miles away. I really don't have a problem with either Trainworld or Kleins.

It's all relative to what you bought, how it shipped and who the carrier was. There are times when things go out of kilter. Kleins does a lot of business, including international business, and Trainworld does a lot of Large scale stuff in addition to what I buy. With the high volume of business, delays and screw ups can happen at any time. Fact is, most of the time things go right.

I placed 2 separate orders with Kleins about 7hrs apart Sunday. I will have one tomorrow and one Thursday according to the tracking. Not to bad considering I'm right near Chicago.

Every business will have ebbs and heavy flows of activity. Sometimes, they can only struggle to keep up. For those who are complaining about their order being delayed, they might want to consider applying for a job at MB Klien and showing them how to do it. I'm sure they would be open to learning new business solutions.

Not long after I started buying from MTS, I had cause to call them about a product that I was interested in and wanted a quick answer. Spoke to a lady in their customer support dept and after asking one of the other staff members, got my answer for me. I asked how busy they were, she said she was run off her feet. I offered to come over and help. "Sure" she replied "but they'd probably grab me and put me in the warehouse" Gee, I wish I'd had a green card. ;)

Every business will have ebbs and heavy flows of activity. Sometimes, they can only struggle to keep up. For those who are complaining about their order being delayed, they might want to consider applying for a job at MB Klien and showing them how to do it. I'm sure they would be open to learning new business solutions.

My point has been that some folks are satisfied, some aren't. Those who aren't have other options. On the other hand, over our lifetimes, there have been companies from Penn Central to Eastern Airlines to Compaq computer where saying "just apply for a job there and show them how it's done" didn't work.

I don't know enough about their business to tell them how to do things. I haven't been trying. I don't know how to fly a plane, and I wouldn't presume to tell Eastern Airlines how to fly one. However, lots of people, whether they knew how to fly a plane or not, chose other airlines, like Delta, that are still around. All I know is that if I order from Trainworld, I get stuff sooner with no excuses. That's been my point. I'm not at all sure what the problem is here.

Seriously, this is no reason for anyone to get their feathers ruffled.

Everyone has their preferences and expectations. When their expectations are not met, everyone has a tendency to get peeved. If it happens once, that's one thing, when it happens more than once........

Not every order from MB Klein arrives within 5 days, neither does every order from Trainworld arrive within three days. But MBK and Trainworld get the bulk of my Model RR business. Over all, these two suppliers are my go to place, based on overall satisfaction over a long period of time, dating back to when I used to stop at Klein's store, when they were located Downtown.

One thing I have noticed, is that lately, the Postal Service takes longer to get things out of Baltimore, than they did a year ago. Used to be that on a weekday, they would pick up at MBK and it would be sorted and shipped the same nght, resorted enroute, and delivered to the destination PO overnight. We are talking 200 miles, more or less.
Now it gets picked up and moves to the outlying PO until the next day, when it finally moves to Jersey. That's not MBK's fault, that's the Post Office. My alternative, is to specify UPS.

Online mass marketers will fill thousands of orders. No mass marketer can have a 100% customer satisfaction rate, It is impossible. Even if they have a 99% customer satisfaction rate there is always the chance that 1 customer will have the odd occurrence of having more then 1 problem.

How bout this for a completely unscientific test ;) and an example of why I prefer MB Klein. I just placed an order with MB Klein and it is being shipped via USPS for $5.95. Total value of $108.27, including $6.13 sales tax because I am a resident of the great state of Maryland. I had this order shipped because It would have cost me at least 2.5 gallons of gas to go pick it up, so its a break even deal to have the mailman bring it to my door. I'll let everyone know when I get it.

I am a fan of Train World as well because they have a great Lionel inventory and great customer service, but this same order would have cost me over $130 including shipping. I did in fact order part of this order from Train World, but because they were out of stock they removed one of the items from my order. They don't have a real time inventory like MB Klein does. Had I known I would have added something else to off set the minimum shipping cost ($9.95).

As an added bonus for paying MB Klein with PayPal credit I get 6 months to pay with no interest. I have asked Train World twice in the last 12 months; "when will they accept PayPal?" Both times I got the same answer "soon". I did not get upset with them because it is human nature to tell people what they think they want to hear.

I prefer to buy everything from MB Klein, but like jwb so eloquently put it "The point of a multi-line highway is that you can change lanes if one is moving slowly" or in my case MB Klein is out of stock or someone can beat their prices by 10% or more.

An "Update" on things ... MB Klein is my shop of preference and always will be. I was disappointed with what happened with respect to the particular items in question. I was disappointed because it wasn't Klein's "usual" standard. It wasn't that they didn't process my order quickly enough, it was because they got the order BUT didn't process it for some reason which is why I didn't get any confirmation emails from them. That is what annoyed me.

That order, as well as others, did arrive once the problem was sorted out and arrived with Klein's apologize, something I doubt any other place would do.

As has been said, business' can (and do) have ups and downs, peak periods where orders aren't processed as quick as they normally would be.

As has also been said, USPS takes longer to deliver things (area dependent) than UPS for example. I have always used the USPS Priority Mail option, and always will due to cost and "rarely" being in an urgent rush to get an order.

As for applying for a job with them to tell them how to run their business ... well only someone so arrogant and/or conceited would do that I would think and I am neither. Mind you, after visiting the store, I would love to work there amidst all that knowledge and experience ;)

My issue with Klein is that they're basically the Wal-Mart of model railroading. Cheap prices and high volume, move it in and out quick with no deviation. I once got a defective Atlas GP40, and by the time I needed to return it just a few days later they'd of course all ready sold out of that particular unit. Thing is, most places would have been willing to simply swap the body out to another chassis. Not Klein. Can't be bothered to take the whole 60 seconds that would have needed, and I'm not even asking them to pull a fast one on Atlas. The chassis, trucks and fuel tank between models (providing they are the same color) are not only indistinguishable from each other, they are quite literally exactly the same part. If you put the two in front of an Atlas rep they wouldn't have any way to tell you which came from where, because they are exactly the same thing. Swap the bodies out, send the other body back on the defective chassis, and everyone's happy. Instead I went through a lot of hassle to get exactly nothing. Not that I won't buy from Klein if they've got a LOT better deal on something, but I've switched to doing business other places if the difference is only a few dollars.

Mike,

I can understand your concern, but I returned (in person mind you) the three Walthers Amtrak Cars I had and Klein's replaced them without any argument what so ever. I gave them the cars, they gave me an in store credit for the purpose of paying for the Concor cars in return.

What you have said does surprise me a lot and I would also be a little "peeved" if they weren't prepared to exchange the faulty engine for you.

PS: I'd hardly compare Klein's to Wally-world though - the people who work at Klein's ACTUALLY know what they are talking about, know their products and are (more often than not) helpful :)

G'day all.....As I'm on the other side of the world , the Australian dollar is currently only 72 cents U.S. , and freight is horrendous...me buying from MB Klien is not very likely but I have a very great friend here on the forum who has dealt with MB Klien for a long time and their recommendation is good enough for me...I'm not too sure what the current issue is at the moment but I'm pretty confident it'll be rectified soon...Don't give up on them just yet...I'm certain my friend won't..He likes their overall care and attention and that's good enough for me...Cheers Rod...

Last edited by a moderator:
...How bout this for a completely unscientific test ;) and an example of why I prefer MB Klein. I just placed an order with MB Klein and it is being shipped via USPS for $5.95. Total value of $108.27, including $6.13 sales tax because I am a resident of the great state of Maryland. I had this order shipped because It would have cost me at least 2.5 gallons of gas to go pick it up, so its a break even deal to have the mailman bring it to my door. I'll let everyone know when I get it....

I was going to let this topic fade to the background but since it popped up again I will let everyone know my package arrived

Not bad for $5.95 shipping, I am more then happy!
Order#: 548760Order Placed: 09/16/2015 at 12:57PM PST
Order Status: Shipped
Order Comments: Thank You!
Your items shipped on 09/18/2015 via USPS : Priority Mail[SUP]®[/SUP]

September 21, 2015 , 3:56 pm
Delivered, In/At Mailbox
DUNDALK, MD 21222
Your item was delivered in or at the mailbox at 3:56 pm on September 21, 2015 in DUNDALK, MD 21222.

September 21, 2015 , 9:43 am
Out for Delivery
DUNDALK, MD 21222
September 21, 2015 , 8:29 am
Sorting Complete
DUNDALK, MD 21222
September 20, 2015 , 10:36 am
Arrived at Hub
DUNDALK, MD 21222
September 20, 2015 , 3:56 am
Departed USPS Facility
BALTIMORE, MD 21233
September 19, 2015 , 8:55 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
BALTIMORE, MD 21233
September 19, 2015 , 7:40 pm
Accepted at USPS Origin Sort Facility
COCKEYSVILLE, MD 21030
September 19, 2015 , 9:24 am
Shipment Picked Up
COCKEYSVILLE, MD 21030
September 18, 2015
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS
September 18, 2015 , 2:27 pm
Shipping Label Created
COCKEYSVILLE, MD 21030

My issue with Klein is that they're basically the Wal-Mart of model railroading. Cheap prices and high volume, move it in and out quick with no deviation. I once got a defective Atlas GP40, and by the time I needed to return it just a few days later they'd of course all ready sold out of that particular unit. Thing is, most places would have been willing to simply swap the body out to another chassis. Not Klein. Can't be bothered to take the whole 60 seconds that would have needed, and I'm not even asking them to pull a fast one on Atlas. The chassis, trucks and fuel tank between models (providing they are the same color) are not only indistinguishable from each other, they are quite literally exactly the same part. If you put the two in front of an Atlas rep they wouldn't have any way to tell you which came from where, because they are exactly the same thing. Swap the bodies out, send the other body back on the defective chassis, and everyone's happy. Instead I went through a lot of hassle to get exactly nothing. Not that I won't buy from Klein if they've got a LOT better deal on something, but I've switched to doing business other places if the difference is only a few dollars.

Mike, not for nothing, but wouldn't that be Atlas responsibility, under their product warranty and not the retailer? Seriously, no one I ever dealt with would do that.

On a similar note (as above) I just received an order from M.B.Klein in a very timely fashion I might add; however, the Bachmann 2-6-0 I purchased was damaged - essential one of the wheel linkage was flopping around in the wind, it had become unattached from where it should have been making the engine a "non goer".

I have emailed Klein's with the issue and asking how I can return it for another engine. We will see how they respond and what they propose.

As for Mikes problem being an Atlas one, yes I do agree it is an Atlas problem; HOWEVER, Mike did not buy the engine from Atlas he bought it from Klein's and therefore, that does make it Klein's responsibility to remedy the problem. The simple solution would have been to simply return the engine and wait until Klein's had the same engine back in stock OR, accept a different Cab Number or Road Name if having that particular engine was that urgent.

To be honest though, and after re reading Mike's post, I can't think of any company/business who would take another engine apart so as to "fix" the faulty one. Klein's responsibility is to replace the engine, not repair it - repairing it is Atlas' problem.

On a similar note (as above) I just received an order from M.B.Klein in a very timely fashion I might add; however, the Bachmann 2-6-0 I purchased was damaged - essential one of the wheel linkage was flopping around in the wind, it had become unattached from where it should have been making the engine a "non goer".

I have emailed Klein's with the issue and asking how I can return it for another engine. We will see how they respond and what they propose.

As for Mikes problem being an Atlas one, yes I do agree it is an Atlas problem; HOWEVER, Mike did not buy the engine from Atlas he bought it from Klein's and therefore, that does make it Klein's responsibility to remedy the problem. The simple solution would have been to simply return the engine and wait until Klein's had the same engine back in stock OR, accept a different Cab Number or Road Name if having that particular engine was that urgent.

To be honest though, and after re reading Mike's post, I can't think of any company/business who would take another engine apart so as to "fix" the faulty one. Klein's responsibility is to replace the engine, not repair it - repairing it is Atlas' problem.

They were completely out of that road name. Not even another road number was available. If you're buying NS, replacing it with a BN doesn't quite work. I'm sure for some people the road name might not matter, but I think for a majority of model railroaders it's not like you can just take whatever paint job happens to still be in stock as a replacement. BTW, if you read, I wasn't asking anyone to do an actual repair job, I was asking to swap a body out. On those N-scale Atlas it's as simple as pulling if off. No screws, no tools, nothing. Just grab and pull and done. It's not like HO, where I understand it might be a bit more difficult. I can swap bodies on an Atlas loco in less than 30 seconds, and that includes having to take it in and out of the box. And yes, I've had a retailer do that in the past. Like I said, the chassis itself is absolutely and completely and exactly the same indistinguishable part. It's not in any way ripping off Atlas or putting the "wrong" pieces together. Another one who couldn't do that offered to pay my return postage, get a replacement from the mfr., and mail the new one back no charge. Klein's only solution was: Send it back and end up with nothing. That's the difference between being willing to help a customer out instead of doing an assembly-line business. Other large retailers, I'm sure, might also refuse to be helpful, but they also tend to have items in stock for more time than it takes to find a fault and initiate a return. With many items, Klein sells out within just a few days, or even the same day they're made available. I'm not completely knocking them, and it's not like I'm refusing to ever do business with them again, but I've discovered that doing business with them carries more risk than other established retailers.

And yes, I do think that because of the volume they do, they do have somewhat of a Wal-Mart mentality. Sure, they're always courteous, but they do have an assembly-line business. In and out, no deviation allowed. I'd just prefer to do business with people who might be a bit more flexible or helpful, and willing to go to a little more trouble than just the default "return it" response to everything. Strangely enough, considering how often they get bashed on here, I've had a better buying experience with established sellers on eBay than with most anyone I've dealt with. Note that I did include the word "established" ;)

As for returning it to the manufacturer, I know from bitter experience that it can easily take a couple of months to ever see your loco again, not to mention having to eat the postage costs. I shouldn't have to go through a turtle-esque warranty repair process on something I just bought. If that were supposed to be the way it worked, these places wouldn't accept returns at all. And some of them don't. I got a defective Kato unit from Fifer Hobby, and their response was basically that it wasn't their problem and good luck with Kato. So at least Klein is much better than that. I'd pretty much figured I was done with Fifer after that, but was at least going to honor the pre-orders I'd placed with them until they also tried to rip me off and overcharge me on those. I may be whining a bit about Klein, but I would seriously stay far away from Fifer.

Last edited by a moderator:
This morning I received an email from Adam, at Klein's, with a Return Number and Pre Paid UPS label. There was no argument or questioning of the damage to the engine at all. Personally, I don't think you can ask for better service.

Back