Very disappointed with MB Klein

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Well guys here we are early am on Monday the 22nd of June, 6 days after placing an online order with M.B. Klein and I still haven't had a thing from them other than "junk mail" wanting me to buy stuff.

When I first started using Klein's, I'd order something and within no more than half an hour I'd have a confirmation of that order. Within 48 hours I'd have the shipping details email. 48 hours from go to whoa. Now, 6 days later, albeit one of them was a Sunday, and still nothing, not a peep from them other than an auto generated email informing me that my inquiry had been received.

I'm very much a once bitten twice shied sorta guy, but this is the second or third order in a row that I have placed with M.B. Kleins that has taken forever and that I have had to chase up on. Granted, the first time was last November (thereabouts) and the christmas rush was the given reason. This time, and considering what they used to do, I can see no reason for such a delay.

It might be time to look for another supplier I think :(

Here lately Ive been placing an order with them every weekend. I use cheap ground shipping and usually have my order in my hands by Wednesday. Not to bad considering I live near Chicago. You must have some bad karma or something.

Tony, this last weekend was the show in Timonium, and I am sure most of the staff was busy prepping for that, instead of filling orders. I know there was some delay in getting an order I placed a week ago Saturday out to me. They have a large notice about it on nearly every page of their website.
Patience, Grasshopper.

Train Show at Maryland State Fairgrounds June 20th & 21st Learn More ►
You are here: Home > Announcements

Coming to the train show at the Maryland State Fairgrounds in Timonium, MD on June 20th & 21st? If so, stop by our store for the lowest prices, largest selection and the friendliest, knowledgeable service. Just 3 miles door to door! Open Saturday, June 20th, 9AM to 5PM. Closed Sunday, June 21st

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at Timonium Saturday, so I decided to stop by the store after. It was definitely mobbed. I'm not saying that's an excuse though, just letting you know what I saw.

-Larry

Tony,
I placed a huge order on the 20th of June at 10:15
Got confirmation later in the early afternoon
Shipment pick up at 1:59 on 20th
Now I need to wait 12-14 days for delivery which is normal time. I live in Canada, and customs usually takes 7 days.
My last order was on the 12th and I should be getting it today or tomorrow

Maybe you should send them an email or give them a call

The only problem with having amazing service is that people notice when it's not. If you had mediocre service to offer, nobody would notice when it's business as usual.

Hopefully you'll get your item soon.

Tony,
I placed a huge order on the 20th of June at 10:15
Got confirmation later in the early afternoon
Shipment pick up at 1:59 on 20th
Now I need to wait 12-14 days for delivery which is normal time. I live in Canada, and customs usually takes 7 days.
My last order was on the 12th and I should be getting it today or tomorrow

Maybe you should send them an email or give them a call

Here lately Ive been placing an order with them every weekend. I use cheap ground shipping and usually have my order in my hands by Wednesday. Not to bad considering I live near Chicago. You must have some bad karma or something.

This is what I have become accustomed too as well, and why I knew something was wrong and why I did email them about the delay.

"...The only problem with having amazing service is that people notice when it's not. If you had mediocre service to offer, nobody would notice when it's business as usual.

Hopefully you'll get your item soon.

Your absolutely right on that.

Okay, so an update on this. I received an email back from them which stated the following:

"Tony, your order never came through. We did however receive the PayPal amount of $137.69. We do not know why the order did not come through. We generated an order for you based on your email: MRC 1310 Throttlepack 9900 DC High Power Train Controller will be shipped out today. Your order number is:528009. Sorry for the confusion and we have forwarded this issue to our IT department for investigation.

Considering the service they normal provide and are re-known for, I tend to believe what they have said. No excuses just a straight forward this is what happened. The fact that once they were aware of the problem, they fixed it immediately (it would seem) shows me integrity. I also tend to believe what they have said as now I have received the order confirmation from them as well.

Looks as though I will be getting the controller in the next day or two and all is well with the world once again :)

This is what I have become accustomed too as well, and why I knew something was wrong and why I did email them about the delay.

[/COLOR]

Your absolutely right on that.

Okay, so an update on this. I received an email back from them which stated the following:

Considering the service they normal provide and are re-known for, I tend to believe what they have said. No excuses just a straight forward this is what happened. The fact that once they were aware of the problem, they fixed it immediately (it would seem) shows me integrity. I also tend to believe what they have said as now I have received the order confirmation from them as well.

Looks as though I will be getting the controller in the next day or two and all is well with the world once again :)
Now I wonder if that is the same reason mine was delayed (also using PayPal). I got no confirmation, or anything, until last Wednesday. The fact the Post Office then sent it on a whirlwind tour of the Midwest, instead of to my house, simply added to the excitement.

Sorry about your delay, but I've always had great service from them. I placed an order with them Friday 6/19 and it was on my porch today when I got home. Now thats probably the fastest an order has arrived from them. Normally I'll order something from them every week, always prompt shipping.

Now I wonder if that is the same reason mine was delayed (also using PayPal). I got no confirmation, or anything, until last Wednesday. The fact the Post Office then sent it on a whirlwind tour of the Midwest, instead of to my house, simply added to the excitement.

You could be right about it being a PayPal thing. Honestly, I have no reason NOT to believe Kleins as they have always been great. The only interesting thing in what they told me was that they didn't get the order but the payment from pay pal came through. I don't know, but I think they need to take a look at Pay Pal and see what is happening there as it does seem to be a Pay Pal screw up rather than M.B. Kleins.

"I was going to say, maybe they just don't like ya Tony, but then you posted their note to you"

Considering how much I have bought from them over the past few years, I'd be pretty peeved if they were screwing me around because they didn't like me. On the other hand, if they simply didn't like me, well - I'll just add them to the list. ;)

Delays are continuing at Klein. Last month I got a call saying an article was sold out, but they had the same road name with a different number. I said fine, go ahead and substitute. They said they'd ship it right out. NOT. Several days later I sent an e-mail to customer service, they replied saying they'd had a power failure. Well, maybe. About a week delay.

Tony's posts here and my experience led me to start looking at other options. Trainworld ships same day, as does Walthers. Because Trainworld had one thing I needed last week and Klein had another, I sent orders to each at the same time. Traiworld sent a shipping notice within hours, but by last Friday, I still hadn't heard from Klein. I sent them an e-mail. Their reply was "We apologize for the delay in shipping your order. We received an unexpected large amount of orders over the Labor Day weekend. We normally can process an order in 1-2 days; however, despite bringing in additional help we are still about one day behind. In addition, we are working an additional shift on Sunday to get back where we should be."

My order still hasn't shipped, so they're well over "one day behind".

I can only assume they have a problem they don't want to fix. That's fine, there's Trainworld.

Folks, every company has bad days from time to time. Believe it or not there are actually PEOPLE working at those companies and PEOPLE are not PERFECT.

I've had Walthers fill dozens and dozens of orders over the years and, yes, a couple have gone astray.

It's called LIFE.

So far, knock on wood, no problems with M.B. Klein.

My point is that Klein's problems aren't "bad days" now and then. And people can be lazy and incompetent.

I probably do the majority of my ordering from MB Klein and so far I have had excellent service. Never have I had an order not deliver within a week from the time an order was put in, but one thing to consider is the volume of orders that they get. They aren't a huge company. LOUIS (BRUETTE) apparently lives close by and goes there in person and I'm sure he can attest to that. I have ordered from trainworld a few times and have had fairly good luck, but have also had orders held up there as well as with Internet trains. You can only do so much with so many people.

My point is that Klein's problems aren't "bad days" now and then. And people can be lazy and incompetent.

Then how do you explain my dozen or so orders with them with no issues whatsoever.

And yes people can be less then ideal but do you have any evidence that that is the case with M.B. Klein?

I would note that a google search on "mb klein shipping delay" brings up posts on several forums, such as this one http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,3600436 Tony has reported an equivalent delay here in the past. All I can say is that my past two Klein orders have been delayed. I haven't had that frequency, especially back to back, with Walthers or Trainworld.

Model train shops are a service business. If people don't understand that -- and I've seen it in brick and mortar, or course -- there's a personnel problem. If management doesn't want to put resources into service, it's a management problem.

I can only go by the evidence I have, two delayed orders back to back. In the past, I quit dealing with Caboose Hobbies after a bunch of screw-ups, culminating in charging my credit card for another customer's order. I exercised my right to shop elsewhere. Same decision here.

Delays are continuing at Klein. Last month I got a call saying an article was sold out, but they had the same road name with a different number. I said fine, go ahead and substitute. They said they'd ship it right out. NOT. Several days later I sent an e-mail to customer service, they replied saying they'd had a power failure. Well, maybe. About a week delay.

Tony's posts here and my experience led me to start looking at other options. Trainworld ships same day, as does Walthers. Because Trainworld had one thing I needed last week and Klein had another, I sent orders to each at the same time. Traiworld sent a shipping notice within hours, but by last Friday, I still hadn't heard from Klein. I sent them an e-mail. Their reply was "We apologize for the delay in shipping your order. We received an unexpected large amount of orders over the Labor Day weekend. We normally can process an order in 1-2 days; however, despite bringing in additional help we are still about one day behind. In addition, we are working an additional shift on Sunday to get back where we should be."

My order still hasn't shipped, so they're well over "one day behind".

I can only assume they have a problem they don't want to fix. That's fine, there's Trainworld.

I had all kinds of 'issues' with amazon and MB with paypal type things, and I won't go near e bay, so, I been getting my stuff from Factory Direct Trains, good stuff, good prices, GREAT customer service, Joe is the Brother (I think) of the guy running Broadway Imports, real prompt delivery, got my shark pre-order WAY ahead of time from him! Have had NO worries dealing with him. Like I think Tony or "E" was talking about, he is not above throwing a little something, something in the packages! I spent ALOT of $$$ there and have been more than pleased! I know I have not been doing this long but from what I've seen guys talk about on here, I think I struck lucky! It's basically the only place where I go anymore to buy stuff.

Folks, every company has bad days from time to time. Believe it or nor there are actually PEOPLE working at those companies and PEOPLE are not PERFECT...
Well said fcwit,

I have not been there in a few weeks but it could be that someone has gotten sick, that can spread to other employees. It could be any number of other personnel problems. Combine a rush of new business with a personnel problem and it's easy to fall behind.
... people can be lazy and incompetent.

Rest assured jwb MB Klein is neither lazy or incompetent.

I can't comment on what happened with your order(s), but having been a customer of MB Klein since I was 11 years old and I know many of the people who work there, including Ted Klein, the owner I can tell you they are defiantly not lazy or incompetent, Ted would never tolerate that, neither would the managers.

Ted no longer goes into the store very often, but he has installed cameras throughout the store to monitor what goes on. I always wave to the camera to say hello to him when I go into the store.

Even with out my own personal experience, considering their growth in times when many other model railroad shops are going out of business I seriously doubt lazy and or incompetent is likely or even possible.

The retail store employees do tend to spend as much time with each customer as the customer requires. Sometimes more then required because customers like to ramble on with them. I don't see that as a problem, but it can slow things down. I would expect they would do the same helping people over the phone as well. I don't mind waiting a bit because I know I will get the same treatment when its my turn and I know they will stand behind every purchase I make.

Back