Utility poles!

Scordicus

Despite there being a few good websites out there on what services utility poles carry, I can't seem to find the answer to a specific question..

In an industrial area, how many drops to how many buildings does a typical transformer have? I'm guessing, knowing a little about electricity and having seen pictures of multiple transformers on a pole that there's a limit per transformer.. Does any one know roughly what it is??

Hi Scordicus, It depends on the wattage of the transformer. itself. There's a whopper on the pole back of my place and I'm the only one on it. For the power I use it's an overkill but when I switched to "Time of Use" with the installation of a centeral heating unit the Power Corp. own rules determined the transformer size. (the hell of it is, I use less power now)

Cheers
Willis

Hi Willis,
I don't know what size the transformers are, but I have the Walthers utility poles set if that helps- I guess I can probably find or make some other sizes & change the transformers if needs be..

Unfortunately I'm at the mercy of the web as I only have the information that I can find on-line because we don't have anything like them on this side of the pond..

Say Scordicus: There was a fairly informative post some time back about one of the fellows showing multiple TP's and transformers with attached wiring. I'm not sure if that may be a help to you or not? Oh, he included several good pictures showing what he was doing too.

Despite an extensive search, I can't find the post you are referring too Trussrod, I don't suppose you have a link to the particular post do you??

Scordicus - do a google for< pole pigs > (no brackets) and look at images - I think you'll find what you want

Jack (aka Shortliner) away up here in the highlands of Scotland

Another power line question!

On my layout I have a highway overpass in which my power lines must cross..

How do the power companies go about crossing structures like these? Do they go over the top or do they hook up the cables underneath the overpass?

To give you some idea, the height of the bottom of the overpass is the same as the height of the metal NMRA clearance gauge, so it's not overly high, but that said, it's not that much lower than the Walthers power poles either, so which way do I go?? Up 'n' over with poles on the overpass or under??

Any real world photographs or links to real world photographs would be helpful too if anyone has any...

Up and over.

Thanks for that Trey, nice and descriptive just as we like it lol..

I haven't got room on the overpass for power poles to be installed, so how does this work? Are there extra long poles either side of an overpass for the wires to span the gap or some other setup??

Any more info???

Has anyone got any more info on the overpass question I have? As I'd like this to be as prototypical as possible but I'm not sure which way to proceed with this project...

What era? 1930's had a lot more crap on the poles. railroads sometimes utilize their own poles for signaling, morse code etc.

Back