USWX (Waste Management) MSW Flatcars

mtrpls

Ignorance is Patriotic
Well, in preparation for Atlas' upcoming release of the MSW containers, I have been busy constructing a fleet of flatcars based on prototype cars. A variety of former TOFC cars are used to carry these containers, although the TOFC cars are the least common type of car (the 85' open-deck flatcars are the most common).

I have identified several former TOFC cars that are used in MSW service, particularly a series of silver USWX cars that can sometimes be spotted in Waste Management trash trains. Each flatcar is based off of a prototype photo.

Many of you know that I do things in "batches", and there are 12 cars in this batch. The cars are heavily-modified Athearn 85' general purpose flatcars. Modifications included removing the molded-on pads on the deck of the flat where trailer bogies would sit, removing the cargo tie-downs from the side sill of the car, stripping, painting, creating custom decals, adding semi-scale Kadee shelf couplers (modified into Type E couplers with a bottom shelf only), and adding air hoses. And of course, weathering.

Even with all of the heavy modifications, I elected to ignore some details that are seen on the prototype cars. The prototype flats have small cut-outs and fenders above the trucks on the side sill of the car. I took a "good enough for me" approach and decided not to model this, given time constraints and the challenges inherent in adding these details. I'm not entering these cars to win any modeling contests, so I don't have any reservations about them not being 100% prototypically accurate.

Well, without further ado, please enjoy these photos!

USWX 20016

IMG_1502.jpg

USWX 20053

IMG_1503.jpg

USWX 20073

IMG_1505.jpg

USWX 20183

IMG_1506.jpg

USWX 20102

IMG_1507.jpg

USWX 20000

IMG_1508.jpg

USWX 20180

IMG_1509.jpg

USWX 20006

IMG_1510.jpg

USWX 20139

IMG_1511.jpg

USWX 20199

IMG_1512.jpg

USWX 20044

IMG_1513.jpg

USWX 20186

IMG_1514.jpg

^^^ All patiently waiting for the Atlas MSW containers :)

Some more random photos and close-ups:

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed!

NICE WORK! I always love to see your projects. That WM truck with the updated wheels looks amazing as well. When are you going to weather that bugger?

I have one each of the WM & CRS trucks, and plan to get 3 more WM and at least one mre CRS, and swap some cabs with some Ricks Decals Mack MR cabs.

Good looking work, especially the patch jobs and weathering. I've never seen these in use on a prototype. How are the containers loaded and unloaded and how are they sercured on the flats?

Thanks for the comments! The containers are usually loaded onto the flatcars using a Kalmar crane or something similar. They are secured to the flatcars using either steel pegs - welded onto the deck of the flatcar - that mount into the bottom of the containers (the containers are built to ISO standards) or container pedestals. A variety of flatcar types are used to haul MSW containers, so the mounting apparatus depends on the flatcar type.

Nice work. Now if someone would release a 5 car spine car set for the MSW containers that EPIC uses.

These flats look well done. I really like the weathering you did. Thanks for posting.

Josh - what are the WM & CRS trucks you mentioned?

Dave

Back