Unsure of next DCC choice

Boxcar21

I`m building a new layout which I plan to use DCC obviously. All my past layouts were Digitrax. I like some things about the latter but won`t be going Digitrax this time around.

My layout is 4x9 Z-scale. Remember, this is an "Empire" in Z-Scale". I was considering (still on the fence) Lenz or NCE. The dilema I have is, I can`t seem to find an expository review or comparison of the two I just mentioned.

I plan on the full compliment of electronic accesories including block detection and signalling, so I am also unsure of compatibility issues, etc.

I was looking at Lenz and NCE today at the LHS but they are not set up to demo like most LHS. It`s generally inconvenient to try them out so I`m still undecided for lack of knowledge on the mentioned systems. If anyone wants to chime in on their DCC systems pros and cons then feel free. I`m not into flaming any systems since they almost all work and have there pitfalls. I heard NCE can only control 4 locomotives per cab,.....? is this true. Can you run 4 consists of 4 locomotives or is 4 individual locomotives the max period? Also is the booster built into the controller with NCE? I noticed in the retail box that there was a controller, small power supply and a few boards.
I heard mentioned that Lenz is good for Z-Scale since their new gold decoders can carry you through "dirty track" which is advantageous for the smaller wheel contacts.,,,,,hmmmm

Thanks

Boxcar21

Boxcar21: I can't really advise you on any system for Z scale, but the companies you mentioned all have good reputations. Which is best is usually decided by the one that provides the features you need and want. When there are several meeting this, then it is a matter of personal preference. I am a Digitrax die-hard, but that doesn't mean they are best for everyone. Here is a link that may be of some help:
http://tonystrains.com/productcompare/dcccomparison.htm

BTW: I strongly recommend Tony's for your purchases for price and excellent customer servic. ;) :)

To RexHea,

Thanks for the reply, I guess I shouldn`t completely out rule Digitrax. I just couldn`t seem to get comfortable with the interface. However I do like their support, loconet, and accessories, they seem to be everywhere. NCE seems nice for the price, but only 4 locos per cab?, must be why it`s cheap for starters. I was considering Lenz, although accessories seem to be scarce and not always available, that worries me and the dilema is not answered buy " check on line" since I like to buy locally where I have a face and support.

Hmmmm,,,. Painfull decision.

Boxcar21

Well, I only meant for you to look at Tony's comparison chart that has all the systems, not necessarily buy from them. They sell most all of them and have a former Digitrax employee for technical problems and questions on all systems. They could help you decide if you call them and have your questions ready. I don't know how much support you would get from an LHS, but most DCC man'f. companies are only a phone call away.

Why is it so important to run 4 trains at once from one cab? I can barely keep up with the two trains on a Digitrax DT400 throttle.:eek: :D

Don't rule out Tony's just because they aren't local. I'm not lucky enough to have a decent hobby shop within 80 miles so I'm pretty much stuck ordering online. The nice thing about Tony's is that DCC is all they do and one of the guys there will always have an answer to any problem. I've never had to wait more than two minutes to get someone on the phone and they all know what they are talking about.

There's a new player in the US for high end DCC controllers. Bachmann has introduced the Dynamis E-Z Command System. It's nothing like the older E-Z Command. It has been in use in Europe for the past year or so and has gotten rave reviews there. I'm seriously thinking about getting one. The price is in the right ballpark too. More info at http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann_36505_Dynamis_DCC_Controller_p/bac-36505.htm.

Nce

I have the NCE power cab and they do advertise that it will run 4 engines. It's actually 1.7 - 2 amps, so it depends on the draw of your engines. Since they're Z scale you can probably run more. Say for instance your engines draw .3 amps each. Just do the math 1.7 divided by .3 and you get 5 engines. If you find yourself needing to go higher you can expand the power cab to get more power in increments of 3 amps. I recently did just that and am running 3 amps.
Nice system and works well.
Hope this helps

NCE?,,,,hmmmm.

Well I`ll be needing or using 3 engine consists for the coal drags up the big hill. My layout (well underway) is modelled on the CPR Laggan sub of the 80`s so 3 if not 5 SD-40-2`s were common. Add an MOW, switcher and an oppossing train so that makes about ten locies. I could upgrade as I go with NCE right? Does NCE have auto reverse and switch boards as well?

I guess that I misunderstood about the 4 engines. Do you need the current capacity for 4 or the actual direct control for 4? Any 2-3 amp system will easily handle the current for that many and a 5 amp would take care of the 10+. This includes those that are parked on the track.

I don't know of any that has 4 individual speed controls, but several allow you to call up and switch to more locos than would fit on any layout. The Digitrax DT400 throttle has two speed controls on it.

Well I`ll be needing or using 3 engine consists for the coal drags up the big hill. My layout (well underway) is modelled on the CPR Laggan sub of the 80`s so 3 if not 5 SD-40-2`s were common. Add an MOW, switcher and an oppossing train so that makes about ten locies. I could upgrade as I go with NCE right? Does NCE have auto reverse and switch boards as well?

yes you can upgrade as you go. http://www.ncedcc.com/ When ready use the Smart booster. You can keep stacking them up as needed. A single booster will probably handle what you're talking about with no problem.
Reversers should be available but if not you should be able to use just about any other manufacturer

DCC Needs

This is all good info guys. Yes, that is what I like about the DT400, it has two throttles on the cab. I really liked that feature when I ran my N-Scale. Expecially when I ran two train meets at a crossover.

What I meant was with the NCE power cab (starter) can I run 5 (z-scale) locomotives on the supplied power supply. Also I really like the Digitrax accessories like the auto reverse stations and turnout control boards. Are the these compatible with NCE?

Just about any DCC accessory should be compatible with any NMRA compliant DCC controller. I'd check with NCE first to make sure but I'm pretty sure they should work although you may have to change a CV or two.

Back