turnout wiring problems

guyt

I'm new to model railroading and I'm trying to wire up a small layout I have put together. I have a shinohara 126-E and 127-E right and left turnouts. When I wire everything and try to run an engine to test it the power only works when the turnout is engaged. When I switch it the other way the power no longer works. Can anybody help?

I believe that's the way the shinohara turnouts are designed. I think it's called power routing.

The problem with that is the track goes cold when the switch is turned. It doesn't route the power it just stops providing power. Am I missing something?

EDIT sorry I missed the part number: I'm not sure about the older code100 Shino's. Maybe someone on this forum that has them can help or you can quickly call Walthers. Another option would be for you to run jumpers around/under to the track.;) Send Cjcrescent a PM. he has a lot of experience with them.

Just a Note:The Code 83 Walthers Shino's (DCC Friendly) are not power routing and should have power to all rails regardless of positioning. They have metal jumpers underneath that are spot welded to the rails. Sometimes, these spots break loose and interrupt the power. A meter checking continuity will quickly varify.
The only two things you can do with them is to flip them over; trim the plastic near the spot; carefully resolder OR you can run a jumper wire and solder to the rails. Nope, it will not look perfect, but you will be able to use it and a little weathering and covering up willhelp its looks. If they are brand new, call Walthers and explain; they will send you new ones free of charge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shinohara turnouts

Shinohara turnouts are great for STUB sidings when you need to store a locomotive . In the normal position the main is powered and the reverse is NOT. That keeps a DCC locomotive from accidently getting power . The frog is powered \ live and it will short out or damage the trucks of your locomotive if left on the frog. I think they are better suited for DC but they have their advantages in certain situations with DCC .

Yeah, I had some of those in your link that I ordered by mistake. They were Walthers Shino code 83 that I had: some had one tie bar at the points and others had that one plus another at the pivot. I tried to follow the method at the site Anton posted, but fellows, that is a capital "B" to do. I finally isolated the frog, both sides, with a dremel and ran jumpers for powering the rails. Best thing is to get the Walthers (or equiv) DCC friendly type in the future.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
agreed 100%.
while walthers/shinoharas are excellent turnouts mechanically, converting them can be PITA, especially if you have many to do

I'm new to model railroading and I'm trying to wire up a small layout I have put together. I have a shinohara 126-E and 127-E right and left turnouts. When I wire everything and try to run an engine to test it the power only works when the turnout is engaged. When I switch it the other way the power no longer works. Can anybody help?

Just tack solder some jumper wires from end-to-end.

Easy to do.

If you are using it to reverse directions then you need to do something special.

73 Tom

Back