Train Shows

I was at the DuPage show in September. I usually go about once a year. You've got your commercial dealers and your hobbyist selling off excess junk. One man's junk is another man's treasure. I find myself spending a little and sometimes getting a lot for it. I enjoy saving and bashing old buildings and it's a good place to find them cheap. Last year I noticed a lot of the older passenger cars going cheap. I guess people are upgrading. All in all a fun way to spend an afternoon. The layouts are mostly the same so not much in the new ideas department.
I did go to a show at Richards HS in Oak Lawn this weekend. Mostly show not much selling. Some very cool modular layouts on display. Again a lot of fun.

I guess the shows in the States are a lot bigger than ours. We don't have too many dealers set up, mostly just guys trying to get rid of things they are no longer using. It's more like a garage sail for train stuff!
Oh, in my opinion those are the best kind. I can get "dealer" stuff at the shops and on-line. In fact that has been my complaint about some of the more recent shows here in Denver. Mostly vendors and very few individual sellers. Yawn.

As for the tax issue, just because a vendor doesn't charge you, doesn't mean they aren't paying it. It is "included" in the sale price in many vendor booths.

One thing I discovered about 10 years ago, is that if you are an exhibitor there is free admission.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to a well attended train show in StLouis last weekend, my first. It left me with mixed feelings.

On the plus side:
Everyone was very nice. Very nice. On garden railroader even voluntered to let my kid work the whistle of his steam engine.
The attendance was great. Good to see the hobby is thriving.

The odd:
Is there price fixing by manufacturers in this industry? I have no clue why on the last day of a show someone would want to pack up all them $4 coupler bags and other items. I know Million Dollar Baby tries for it and suspect Stihl chainsaw and Tempurpedic mattress company do. Oh well, its a businesss plan I guess. It allows for customer service on the retail end and none of them are out of business. But man, i would get tired of lugging around my stuff.

Also some of the used scenery items seemed expensive. Perhaps a sign the salesmen were waiting for the one wealthy sucker to come along and the middle class can not afford the all over the place expensive dusty stuff. And my goodness, the light weight Tyco stuff must be made of gold!

Overall it was fun. More of an experience than a shopping spree which was just fine.

I have found that train shows are more lucarative for purchasing HO items I need than E-bay for sure. Best part about it is you can see what you are buying. Surely you should get there at opening to hunt down things you just have to have. Likewise good deals are usually consumated more than half way thru the show. Best buys I feel are also at TCA or TTOS meets if you are a modeler and not a collector. You can find excellent deals in products they may have picked up along with collector stuff. I prioritize my table stops. First run thru I dont stop at collector dealer tables et all especially at big shows, 100 tables plus. Then on down the list. Lastly dont feel bad about making an offer and then walking away if it's not accepted. You may need to stop back two more times before you score. Have fun.
Thanks
Wayne

I've been to many train shows and found them all to be a big dud - at least for items I've looked for. Not even worth the ticket and gouging parking price.

Most of it was junk that can't sell in any serious MRR shop and there is a reason all that stuff winds up in train shows.

I live in Northern Ohio and can hit a train show from September thru April almost every weekend. The Dalton Train and Toy Show in November has 400 tables and if you cant find something there you must be looking for something rare. Oh well to each his own.
Wayne
Medina, Ohio

I've found the local (within 100 miles) shows to be a pretty good place to get some bargains, especially at the last three or so hours of the show. Some will be willing to make a deal, some won't. Never hurts to try.

I live in Northern Ohio and can hit a train show from September thru April almost every weekend. The Dalton Train and Toy Show in November has 400 tables and if you cant find something there you must be looking for something rare. Oh well to each his own.
Wayne
Medina, Ohio

Do they have that many up that way? I only make the Columbus shows but do go to the TimoniumMD show in the Jan-Feb time period. That is one huge show. Are there any coming up that would be worth driving from south of Zanesville to get to? I am strictly Nscale.

Do they have that many up that way? I only make the Columbus shows but do go to the TimoniumMD show in the Jan-Feb time period. That is one huge show. Are there any coming up that would be worth driving from south of Zanesville to get to? I am strictly Nscale.

I think the Great Scale Model Train Show in October at Timonium is the same size as the Great Scale Model Train Show in February at Timonium. You don't need to wait till February. You can go to the one this month in Timonium.

It is interesting to note that (when the posters location is indicated) most of the highly favorable opinions about trains shows are coming from those situated in the central part of the country.

Speaking as a northeasterner, I find the situation to be quite different. Train shows in and around the NYC area are few and far between. At the same time whereas there once were numerous shows and they were indeed a common source of bargains, these days neither is true any longer. It would seem that the majority of dealers here are asking top dollar for their wares. Likewise, most dealers seem to consider themselves, or in fact actually are, part-time hobby shops and will not bargain on price.

The days when local shows were populated by individuals selling off their layout excesses ended years ago out my way, along with most of the bargains. Yes, you will still find the occasional good buy, but eBay has replaced most of my show purchases long since. Only two regional shows draw me any longer: Springfield, MA and Timonium, MD, but the latter is a 500 mile round trip that I'm unwilling to make more than once a year.

NYW&B

I go to the Amherst Railway Society's show in Springfield, MA every year. It's one of the largest in the world, taking up 5 large buildings (which are used for livestock shows at other times of the year).

Wayne
Medina, Ohio

I always make sure to make it to the Dalton show, I always find what I need there every year.

-Jeff

I'm glad I heard about the Dalton train show in november.....from you.......what is the date? I'll google it anyway. Sounds like a big event. I live in mount vernon.

EDIT: I found this great page with calender of events. Dalton is Sunday Nov.11th.

http://www.cleveshows.com/

Mike

Dalton Train show

CJ Trains presents its Train and Toy Show on November 11th at the Buckeye Event Center in Dalton, Ohio ...

10:00AM to 4:00PM. Easy to get to 400 tables. I have a table myself, in row one.
Thanks
Wayne

Wayne
Medina, Ohio

Maybe. But in So. Cal. the HO-scale items all seemed to be junk and low-end stuff. Oh, and a few vendors showing locos that were always unavailble -- a year late getting to market.

Maybe. But in So. Cal. the HO-scale items all seemed to be junk and low-end stuff. Oh, and a few vendors showing locos that were always unavailble -- a year late getting to market.

Well I am spoiled because Northern Ohio is a great place for model railroading. Lately I have beeen involved in OPS sessions. One is ten minutes from my house once a month and the other is twenty minutes.
Wayne

I go to the Amherst Railway Society's show in Springfield, MA every year. It's one of the largest in the world, taking up 5 large buildings (which are used for livestock shows at other times of the year).

And every so often a few of those buildings smells like it was too although the last few years they haven't. Nothing says rural model railroading like the lingering odor of Fabreze and sheep manure. :eek:

And every so often a few of those buildings smells like it was too although the last few years they haven't. Nothing says rural model railroading like the lingering odor of Fabreze and sheep manure. :eek:

There was nothing like the Timonium show held in the Cow Palce building years ago - a week after the cows left.

I think the Great Scale Model Train Show in October at Timonium is the same size as the Great Scale Model Train Show in February at Timonium. You don't need to wait till February. You can go to the one this month in Timonium.

I have to go when I am off work. I am from Va so I make a week out of it when I go. Normally it hits around super bowl sunday which gives me fun time with my friends. Plus, it is hard to spend that kind of money right before Christmas on yourself when you have 3 kids expecting Santa.:)

Back