Trackplan w/ Question

SpitFireV12RR

Hey guys,

I was just messing around with my trackplan, when I thought of something. If I were to move my switch from one side of the layout(Uncovered) to another side of the layout(A mountain), that I would have alot more space!
Now, the only problem with that is that the turnout would be under a mountain. Here is the trackplan I'm toying with...

Layout1.jpg

Replies about the plan/question are appreciated!

Hidden turnouts are bad news on several levels. I would only consider this if it was 100% accessable from the back side of the mountain. I would not recommend it at all.

I was actually thinking of making the mountain section over the turnout removable. If not, than I would make the tunnel wall in that section very high and cut large access panels in the foam. It would be 100% accessable!

Turnouts inside of mountains/tunnels just seem to be bad news to me. I'm not really sure if it's prototypical, though I seem to recall that there is one example where the switch is just inside the portal. The biggest problem is that if a train derails inside on the switch, the Big Hook won't be able to get to it.

Having said that, if you really, really want to have a switch inside a mountain, make sure the switch is in the best possible shape (meets gauge standards, the frog is in perfect shape, etc.) and the trackwork is impeccable. Because if it isn't, you'll have to keep getting in there to fix things. After removing and replacing that mountain section 50 times, it's going to show wear around the edges. And that won't be aesthetically pleasing....

Kennedy

NOw, if you've been following your post on the other site, you'll already know my position on hidden turnouts.

Here is the completely redesigned track plan. I ditched the tunnel and the logging service, and went into a more industrial feeling type place. The flex track curve radiuses are unknown(Atlas Flex track on RTS 7), but the outside curve on the left is 22" radius. All turnouts are #6. I did want to know if it looks a little too spaghetti bowl though...

Layout4Enlarged.jpg

In terms of switching, it is not as good as your plan previously. You put in a reverse loop, not a runaround. At least in the previous plan you could have used the passing track as a runaround. Take either of your double-ended industries as an example. IF you back a train into the first siding, you can leave a car, but you can't switch a car in the facing siding, because your engine will be in front of it and can't get out. You need a runaround track where you can leave the car or train, run around it, and get on the other side of it so you can leave it on the second siding.

I can't see your plan, but railroads don't typically put reverse loops to switch industries. For a good explanation of a runaround, see Track Planning for Realistic Operations.

Thanks...I've actually decided to go back to my old one. However it may be unprototypical, I think that I will have the most fun with it, and there will be much more interesting scenery with that one. I'm currently making a finishing copy and adding the atlas buildings I want. It's color-coded and everything will be told tomarrow. It's a little late now and I want to go watch some South Park!

Thanks,
Todd

SpitFireV12RR said:
Thanks...I've actually decided to go back to my old one. However it may be unprototypical, I think that I will have the most fun with it, and there will be much more interesting scenery with that one. I'm currently making a finishing copy and adding the atlas buildings I want. It's color-coded and everything will be told tomarrow. It's a little late now and I want to go watch some South Park!

Thanks,
Todd

Invasion of the AARP. One of my favorites.

No no...right now the Family Guy one is on...well here anyways. The AARP one is my favorite too!
You know, I've never met another model-railroader into Southpark! I think I'm the "Unsteriotypical" Modelrailroader!

AARP was the rerun right before Family Guy.

Loved the chase scene at the end. Kyle was lucky to get out alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
SpaceMouse said:
AARP was the rerun right before Family Guy.

Loved the chase scene at the end. Kyle was lucky to get out alive.

Oh...ya, that's great. I think that the part where kyle's bigwheel went off the clift, broke, and then the blow up was great. Now there's this Dog Bites Man. It's pretty stupid!

Something that I would consider is if your layout is going to be in the middle of a room then how about a divider that runs down the middle of the layout or even at an angle. That way you can make two scenes on one layout. Also the backdrop divider can have hills and buildings back up to it.

Back around 1990 Model Railroader did a month by month 4x8 layout that was excellent. Kalmbach then put it into a book that should be most helpful to anyone who is planning a 4x8 layout. Here is the link:

http://kalmbachcatalog.stores.yahoo.net/12121.html

Back