Tonight on the History Channel!

It was a pretty good show! Seeing that shop, horse shoe curve, coal dumper etc...it was all good!

And all shot in HD quality. That was a great show, I am looking forward to the next one.

The repeated show on Bullet trains was pretty good too, but I wish it was more up to date. Some predictions of things to happen by 2003 were mentioned.

Oh man, it was great! A tour of Juniata shop, a run around Horseshoe Curve, the rotary dumper!!! Excellent video of everything!
If I can find it online in video format, I'll definitely dnload it and cut it to dvd.

They were chasing the 844 with a chopper earler this year. It will be making an apperance on this show. I wonder if they are going to offer it in blueray.
About a month ago I got me a 42 inch LCD TV. Glad that I did.

To be honest I was not that excited after the show. I think part of it is that I knew what they were explaining. I think they are aiming this show to people that have little info how trains operate. For someone like me that knows about a trains basic functions, I think I need to see some action that is not often seen or talked about to get my intrest.
I did like to se how they loaded and empty the cars. the engine shop was also intresting. but with a short 1 hr time frame they did not have time to truely focus on all the things they were showing us. I will watch the next one for sure. but Im thinking I might know the outcome again? Regardless Im glad that they are showing this as there are lots of people that find just the basics of Railroading intesting and a learning experince.

Trent

I'll post what I posted on another forum (to general agreement, it seems):

My comments:
1. Decaffinate the host. He was trying way too hard to channel Ty Pennington (Extreme Home Makeover). The train crews were having to fight not to laugh at him.
2. Before screwing up an explanation on how dynamic brakes work (nearly totally wrong) they might want to explain how the locomotive power gets from the motor to the wheels - it ain't the tranny off a '57 Buick. Hopefully "Conductor" Mark Bown from some shortline in Maine will learn how this really works before getting his engineer's ticket.
3. Please don't try and make the engineers sound like Medal of Honor heroes. They're skilled professionals doing a job - they aren't storming machine gun bunkers every day.
4. Try and stay a little consistent in what trains you are trying to represent as the train you are following. Having the helpers vary between 2 and 4 and the lead power not only vary from 2 to 5 - but change manufacturers - is a bit distracting.

Well I to laughed at the host as he is way to hyper. I guess when you work for Guilford, Pan Am, BM, MEC, ST, whatever flavor of the month is RR, then moving from a 10mph train leading with GP9's and SD26's to a REAL train moving at speed with new power is exciting. I am sure that guy will get ripped on at work by his buddies that see the show. If anyone was like that on the RR I work for then boy would they get it from everyone, LOL. I am sure the crews that he was with wanted to slap him though. I liked when they were changing the axle on the hopper car and each time the angle changed it was a different axle. First it was the outside axle then the inside axle and back and forth, LOL. Ah well, for people that have no clue about the RR they will never notice. I loved how they would speed up the video and show the trains taking off from a standstill to, they would get a knuckle for sure. Either way I will watch it just for the humor alone, the sad part is that most people will watch the show and think they know everything of how the RR works and they will be wrong.

I use to love going to lunch at the restaurant by the yard office and listen to railfans talk how the RR I work for does things and why. They really have no clue. Same thing when I read articles in Railpace magazine, Boy were those wrong to, a lot of false info all over, that really made me think twice about the other articles I read.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the show was awesome. cought the replay at 2am. 3 of my co-workers were laughing at me when i put it on. 2 of them were like wow, didn't know that. or wow that was pretty cool. They seemed to get into after a few minutes.

Back