The wife's HO Atlas layout...

Thanks gents - I also think it is much more simple to run but is still fun, not just a couple of loops. Bottom line is it for fills my abilities at the moment as running any more than two trains would be a nightmare for me. I am having enough trouble watching two of them :)

Tonight has been a darn busy one for me. The more I watched my trains running the tracks the more annoyed I became with the rear section of track. You guessed it - "up it all came"!

So, now all of the front section of the layout has been replaced, the last portion of the inner loop leading onto the main at the rear has been replaced, almost 4' of the main track at the rear has been replaced, all of the Insulated Joiners have been removed and two of the turnouts are now gone. Not bad for two or three days work especially when at the end of the day - it ALL WORKS, not withstanding some dirty track in places :)

Oh, I also added some feeders to the track work at the rear. At the moment all of that is up in the air (literally) and not connected to the main bus, same as the two sets of feeders at the front of the layout at the moment.

Next job is to replace the Main Bus with 14 Gauge wire (wound together) and to connect all of the feeders. 90% of that job will be a breeze, the other 10% is going to be a nightmare due to the wiring having to run in between the bottom of the bench work for the layout and the top of my desk on which the bench work was placed. Seemed like a good idea at the time - aint hind sight a great thing :)

So in conclusion (for the moment) - all of the track work that needed replacing has been done and it is all running nicely with only 4 feeders providing the power to the track and three of them being down one end.

Once I have the wiring redone and have cleaned up the layout of debris and miscellaneous who knows what, I'll put up a "good video" of everything working and with two trains running so you guys know I'm not joking ;)

Remember how I said the last plan was the final one? Well ... it is! :D

However, I have extended the physical size of the layout by adding another 3" to the front of it. I now have an area of 8" (at the widest points) to 5" at the narrowest point along the extended river.

Img_0802_zpsylpci2td.jpg

Img_0801_zpsvrguxzdq.jpg

I am going to add a "fill section" to the left side of this extension by the way.

Now what to do with that extra area??? I was thinking about having a road run around the leading edge of it to start with - what do you guys think about that idea?

I am up for any suggestions at this point but am thinking along the lines of track side structures, small industry of some type. I only have about 30" of total usable width to play with too. If I put in the road, that will lessen the width by about 2 1/2" so that is something that I am also taking into account.

This extension takes me to the absolute maximum width as well, so what ever I do HAS TO FIT in this space.

Thanks KB02, now what to do with it :) The one thing that I "forgot" to take into account was the distance from the edge of the extension to the back corner of the layout. Prior to the extension I could reach it without too many problems, now - well ... not so easy :(

Thanks KB02, now what to do with it :) The one thing that I "forgot" to take into account was the distance from the edge of the extension to the back corner of the layout. Prior to the extension I could reach it without too many problems, now - well ... not so easy :(
I was going to say, "Isn't this getting a little thick in the middle?". Who would have ever thought that a long standing old-age joke would apply to a model railroad. :rolleyes:

Ahh, well, kinda I guess. The middle began as a 19" wide "alley" if you like, now it has expanded (like most of us) to 29". Unlike most, some or maybe a few of us though, this is as far as it goes :)

Where the problem of expansion creeps in is on the front left side of the layout. All I did was add an extra 8" and damrn, that amount was/is enough to make reaching the top left corner virtually impossible. All I can say is I am glad all of the scenery is complete over there, that, of course doesn't help if a train happens to go bum up in the tunnel ... :confused: :mad:

So I got a little carried away so lets forget that and what about some ideas for the newly developed real estate then ... come on guys, I know you have the ideas.

You got caught by a common situation Tony....never make any section of the layout farther than you can comfortably reach..say about 24 inches.
Live and learn :cool:

You got caught by a common situation Tony....never make any section of the layout farther than you can comfortably reach..say about 24 inches.
Live and learn :cool:

What is annoying is that I know to keep the distance reachable, it wasn't as if I didn't. Simply put, I got caught up in the expansion and focused on that and that alone without thinking about the potential consequences.

Truth be told, I don't think it is going to be as bad as what it seems (at the moment). I could reach out to 3' without effecting anything on the layout due to my height and the height of the layout now I have to stretch and lean more into the layout. What I am going to have to think about now is what will be between the front of the layout and the furthest point. One thing I do know is what ever that will be WONT be high or probably trees.

Hey Guys,

Now that I have all of the track work completed I am starting on the layout "clean up, repairs and refurbishment". The will begin wit the right side of the layout, the Lake Area.

Right now, this is how it looks:

Img_0807_zpspqy1xelv.jpg

It WILL look different by this evening!

The clean up stage is always the funnest to me. It reveals the fruit of all the efforts.

As far as the reach goes, I have a couple areas 3' in from the outside. I did that on purpose, the area is intended to be background scenery that was built once and left alone. I don't regret it since it adds detail to the scenery. When working on it, I stand on a sturdy wooden chair to extend my reach.

I noticed one month in the micromark catalog they even made a step ladder contraption to reach the back of a layout. I guess that is for "older" guys.

I am looking forward to starting the clean up and seeing exactly what lies beneath it - that could be scary though. I know on the Lake Side that I am going to have to redo the lake itself, water wise. Seeing as I added another 8" to the front, that included the river running from the lake and I'll be damned if I can color match the "water". The easiest thing for me to do is to put a thin layer of plaster over the surface and start it over, and that I am looking forward to, especially as I think my water coloring skills have improved significantly.

The reach was an idiot error on my part but, as you said, nothing that can't be gotten around - even if I have to buy one of those "old guy" ladder things :D

WHAT????
You had another part to your layout?

Looks really good and will look even better after the clean up

As for the "Old Guy" ladder, I found it to expensive, so I decided in redoing my entire layout............lol

Hey Hawke,

I get the impression that you have not seen all of the layout :) There is essentially three parts to it;

1. The Town
2. Rural
3. The Lake

Once I get things cleaned off and tidied up I'll post up a couple of pictures (or video) of the entire layout.

Don't think I will need the ladder thing but it doesn't surprise me that it is expensive. I'm sure if I need one I can find something much cheaper at Lowes, Home Depot or some where.

An "old guy" ladder thing is one "tool" I've not been able to justify yet. Definitely on my wish list. Too bad Harbor Freight tools doesn't make one. They are just to specialized for the price to be anything like the consumer mass markets items.

I will put one of them on the "would like to have at some point" list I think. Wish they were available from someone other than Micro Mark though.

Back