The wife's HO Atlas layout...

Great looking scene. What are you using as a power source for all the liting? Even though you say the buildings are there as a prop they do look like they belong there.

Very nice Tony, seems like everyone in town is asleep
If you thought that the lights were to bright, is there a way to lower the brightness? (don't know, maybe with a resistor or something)
I'm asking because I might have that problem

Lighting makes all the difference to a scene. Something I only did once, about 59 years ago! I put lights into a six stall roundhouse as I had fitted interior detail. Since then I have seen pictures like yours Tony and each time think "I must do that". :-|

Thank you guys for your comments and for looking and sorry I haven't answered each individually.

Great looking scene. What are you using as a power source for all the liting? Even though you say the buildings are there as a prop they do look like they belong there.

Lynn,

I'm using an old Protech AC/DC Power Supply to provide power to a 24 port Terminal Board. From there, the lights are connected to a Main Ground Wire and individual Power Wires that are connected to a simple On/Off Toggle Switch.

Very nice Tony, seems like everyone in town is asleep
If you thought that the lights were to bright, is there a way to lower the brightness? (don't know, maybe with a resistor or something)
I'm asking because I might have that problem

The lights I have used come pre wired with resistors; however, if you want to "dim them" (or any light) you can add another or higher resistor. For example, all LED's require a resistor either a 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt one. I use 1/2 watt resistors. Lets say you add a 1/2 watt 470 ohm resistor to an LED and feel that the light is still too bright you can do one of two things:

1. Add another resistor, say a 120 ohm or,
2. Replace the resistor with a higher rated one, say a 680 ohm for example.

The higher the resistor number, the greater the resistance and; therefore, the duller the light will be. I don't know if using a resistor on a conventional bulb has any effect; however, I would think it would.

Lighting makes all the difference to a scene. Something I only did once, about 59 years ago! I put lights into a six stall roundhouse as I had fitted interior detail. Since then I have seen pictures like yours Tony and each time think "I must do that". :-|

Lighting my buildings etc is a must for me. As someone said (Yannis I think) it creates an atmosphere and does help illuminate the layout. I think for the work it involves, the end result is well worth it.

Once again thanks everyone and hopefully I'll get a little more done over the next few days.

Lakeside Improvements

Hey Guys,

Just a quick update on the Lakeside of the Layout with water improvements such as the inclusion of rapids etc as well as a small jetty.

IMG_1540_zps657e5080.jpg

3Bridges2_zps458fd576.jpg

IMG_1544_zps35e413a1.jpg

Looking good Tony!
The lights give a nice feel to things.
I had street lights on the previous layout that were bright so I wired them two to a wire (from parallel to series) to dim them.

Thanks guys.

I will be back on here more often next week I think. Things have been a little chaotic around here of late, hence my "absence" and very limited time in the forums.

As we've discussed here before, Tony, just a few people can make a world of difference. I was starting to notice. Glad you'll be back.

Thanks guys, appreciate your comments.

This coming week I have to go to Cleveland for 2 or 3 days so I will be back on (as usual) once I get back from there.

Thanks for your support and for continuing to follow this build.

Growing Tree's

Morning All,

Even though I haven't been here all that much lately, for various reasons, I have been working on the layout planting tree's. I have used all of my JTT Tree's and am now awaiting another batch to arrive, sometime next week hopefully.

I have been focusing on the left side of the layout in an attempt to get (at least) that much completed. This is how it looks at the moment:

IMG_0651_zpsf05b3602.jpg

IMG_0650_zps7c4a0acc.jpg

IMG_0648_zps656caf20.jpg

I was hoping the tree's would go a little further than they did; however, they didn't so more to be bought. At the moment I can't decide whether to maintain the tree density all the way down the mountain or gradually thin them out toward the bottom. Maybe I am just being a tight ass - not sure.

Lookin' great Tony. The fire tower fits perfect up there.

I say maintain the tree density down towards the houses on the left, but keep the area to right open - like an tended field slowly turning back to woods.

Well done Tony,

I would add just a few more on the left end side and keep it full on the right
I would also add a few dead trees or less foliage trees with some bare branches (especially in a dense area)
But your layout sure looks nice

Keep posting

Back