The Uffington and Davis Railroad (The Uff Da Line)

Greetings all!

It has been a while. Laying track - one sees lots of progress, but from that stage, pictures don't help much.

1. I finished soldering all feeders to the yard track.

2. Been testing (and playing!):

2.a. I did not do a great job soldering feeder and have a fair number of bumpy ones that are causing some problems.
2.b. The four axle diesels run great!
2.c. The 0-6-0s (Bachmann Porter and BLI Plymouth) do not like the dead frogs and if approaching at slow speed will stall, needing help from the master yardmaster.
2.d. The BLI light Pacific 4-6-2 runs HORRID. Start-stop-restart-stall-derail. Yuck.

3. Been working on rough spots and getting the yard diesel switchers running and having fun making/breaking up trains.

4. Tonight (01 Oct 2021) I finished wiring the 16 VDC for the electromagnets and the 12 VDC buss and feed to the electronic timer controllers for the electromagnet uncouplers. I followed very closely Larry Puckett's concept

4.a. I bought the timer boards and wired up pushbuttons and the 12 VDC supply to them.

5. The EM uncouplers work nice! Success!!

Next? Probably continue to work on problem feeders and other track issues.

Greetings all!

It has been awhile, and got in many golf rounds, but the snow and ice are here and it's indoor sports until next spreing.

So here is my latest rendition of the plan:

211118_final.jpg

I did look at two options. IH suggested a run-around on the inside easter loop. I don't like it because it ends up being only about 29 inches long. Is that a useful runaround for meets or overtakes?

I also looked at connecting the western loops for a passing track, but again, I'm not sure it would be useful as it's only about 35 inches. But submitted for your review:

211118_passings.jpg

Bottom line, is either of those two passings worth the extra cost for the TOs (using Peco #5 so about $110 per four).

I am getting ready to start work, so please give me your opinions, thanks!

This looks very promising - do you have access to the left side of the layout or is it up against the wall?
The left or west edge is free standing, as is the southern or lower edge. Most of the Easter or right edge is free, except where it goes into the alcove represented by the heavy maroon 'walls.' The northern or upper is entirely against a wall.

So, Kleiner, do you think those crossover on the west loops are worth the $110+ for turnouts? I'm torn. I like the free run of the loops on that side without the crossovers, but I can also see that it adds more operational interest, maybe.

The left or west edge is free standing, as is the southern or lower edge. Most of the Easter or right edge is free, except where it goes into the alcove represented by the heavy maroon 'walls.' The northern or upper is entirely against a wall.

So, Kleiner, do you think those crossover on the west loops are worth the $110+ for turnouts? I'm torn. I like the free run of the loops on that side without the crossovers, but I can also see that it adds more operational interest, maybe.

This is just my personal view but I think you absolutely do not need the two crossovers on the left side that I have marked in red. Not only does it not add much to operations but I think it makes the layout look too cluttered. I would definitely save the money for something else more useful :)

211118_passings.jpg

Just wanted to add - I am generally in favor of reducing the amount of track in general as it looks a bit more realistic that way. With fewer turnouts, you get more constraints on operations - which is actually a good thing.

Also, the real railroads have lots of beancounters who's job it is to come up with reasons to rip up any track that's not used much :)

Greetings again to all! And many thanks for your review and suggestions. Still working. With Advent season upon us - - main ROW construction is put off until the new year. And with a wedding in the late winter - - maybe even further than that.

Still - submitted for your review is the latest rendition. Someone pointed out to me the HUGE error of the lack of ability to service the southern spurs as the tail off the turnout was not big enough for a loco and even one 40' car. Major Boo-Boo!! So that forced a major rework of the interior spurs and crosses.

211206_UffDa_04_trial.jpg

To review:

1. The yard is complete and merely awaiting automation of the turnouts - - if ever due to cost! There's only one that is a bear to reach. Yard is C70 and works great. Been having fun making/breaking trains - - but getting ready to have somewhere for them to go.

2. Main table track will be C83. Looking at ME Flex and PECO TOs.

3. Yes, I know the two southern loops extend off the table. Planning this for the prime railfan vista. I'm thinking either just plain hardboard subroad with some type of guardrail, or possibly a double/triple track bridge cut at angles.

4. Industries as yet undecided. I have an inexplicable passion for reefer cars, so thinking some type of Cold Storage and food related. Open to suggestions.

5. Era will be 40s-50s, freight only. Possibly steamer main locos with diesel or small steam switchers. Maybe an early diesel road-switcher. My two on-hand 4 axle diesels really work nice. The 2-6-4 BLI steamer is very rough running.

6. Please review with an eye for ops. The design is an out-and-back and should offer a hybrid opportunity for continuous and switching ops. Do I have any pinch or choke points?

Thanks all, all constructive comments and suggestions welcome!

Steve J

Have a thought - you pull your train into the a/d track, uncouple the road power. Power can move to the 2nd ladder track from the top., but can not get to the TT IF the train is longer than the 1st yard ladder switch. That could mean you can only have a 3ish ft train to get road power to the TT and be able to get the yard dog to the rear of the train to classify cars. Switch 5c could be a double slip connected to another double slip immediately to the west; which would allow road power to escape and yard dog to get to the waiting cars. Doing it this way you would also continue a track connected to the west double slip for a 'yard lead'.
Got a doc appt today in Spokane which is 300 miles round trip. Will try and work something up when I get back and post.

Steve - This by no means is perfect. On your latest drawing those tracks that look to be green are less than 18in radii - right? If that is the case, parts of your current return loop would be under 18in radii. Industry probably does not matter although I don't think that you want to go under 15in radii.

I do not use AnyRail, I use XtrackCad. The pix below could give you a general idea of sorts. Note that I found that I could not squeeze a double slip in on your second yard track for an engine escape. Smallest DS I could find was a #6 and the geometry mating with the ME ladders just does not happen without hoop jumping. With the exception of the 180 degree loops at the bottom and the ME ladders, you have 2.5in track spacing with a minimum radii of 18in.

Take a look at getting your train into the yard. The arrival track is now set up to be the 5th yard ladder. You can pull your train in, uncouple road power and move it to the TT. The Yard Dog can sit on the inside track upper left then move to the rear of the waiting cars to classify. Note that removing the engine escape cross-over could work. If you pull your train up to the turnout just above and to the left of the TT ( diverging route ), you have room enough for almost 6ft of train not including power, and you won't have reach-in problems for the escape XO.

Your longest yard track is about 75in ( top one ). Note that the yard lead; 1st track on the West side needs to be at least the length of your longest yard track. You now can pull out your 6ft train, go and couple to the cars in the 2nd yard lead and run about a 12ft train if you so desire while not interfering with train(s) circulating.

Considerations: If you have room on the West side to move the whole layout a couple of feet - put wheels on it and git rid of the reach in when trouble happens problem. You then can move the TT and RH to the right about a foot. This would give you a little extra room for eye candy and possibly a caboose track.

YMMV

UffDa.JPG

hey CTC, is this a free program by chance ?
If so, would you be able to send me that file you just sent ?
Yes, free. Somewhat of a learning curve although good tutorials. Click: xtrkcad.org This will get ya there. Note that it will send you off to sourceforge.net to get the executable. Click 'Download and Install' then choose the install link for your system. I have been using this for years and still find new ways of doing things that I did not know about.
Click here: UffDa File, then right click on UffDa.xtc and save somewhere. Open the executable by clicking on the UffDa.xtc file

Thank you,
Darn, cant download the executables onto my computer.....grrrrr, wife needs the computer for work

Last edited:
Okay - I have done a lot of design work inside the loops.

Iron Horseman - - yes, I believe that lower right curve might be a tad close. Not sure how to fix it and keep the 22 inch outer and 18 inch inner radii.

220113_UD.jpg

- The curves showing yellow are 18 inch R; Those showing Orange are 15 inch R.
- The southern structure is the Walthers Ice Bunker, upper west is the Golden Valley Canning company.
- The structure off board is the Walthers RJ Frost frozen storage - - doesn't look like it will fit anywhere.
- that is a double slip coming off the southeastern inside loop. (Probably don't really need it, but I already have the TO).
- The little spur pointing SW may become a little engine house for the industrial switcher working those inner lines.
- the pink rectangles are electromagnet uncouplers.
- The Yard is already built and uses the ME code 70 ladder system.
- All other TOs will be Peco insul/unifrog or the new Walthers.
- The curved TOs are a mix of old Walthers/Shinohara and the new Walthers.
- Rolling stock will be primarily 40 foot or less. I have one 50 footer box car.
- No passenger service.

Please review with an eye for operations. I think I have it such that all the inside tracks can be worked with a switcher and at least a few cars.

Thanks all!! I'm getting excited to get cracking on this!!

Back