The slow build of the un-named railroad

Pom in Oz

Hey all, i have started to build my first ever layout and would appreciate any feedback or ideas as i go along.
I have included a continuous run so me and my 3 year old can just watch trains pass by but i would like to include a switching area based around a wharf / small port for when the little one isn't about.

I am modelling in HO and have 3.6m x 2.4m layout space with access on three sides and in the centre.

These are a few photos of how far i have got so far, i had a rough plan drawn up on Rail modeller for the Mac and i will upload it when i get home from work tonight.
DSCN0905.jpg

DSCN0904.jpg

DSCN0902.jpg

DSCN0898.jpg

DSCN0897.jpg

Cheers Darren

Hi Darren,

The construction phase of building is exciting to say the least as you start seeing things materialize. The only thing I'd suggest is to try and ensure your reach over is basically only 30" except for the loops and there you should have at least access on two sides which it seems you do but the inner portion of the U seems rather deep but it could be camera perspective too?

If changes are required now is the time to make them.

Anyway glad to see you making progress.

Pom, You made some good progress. You asked for information and you might want to click this: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25919

Give it a go. Plenty to learn from there. I'm by no means an expert but my ways of doing things seem to please some folks.

David, is correct about reach. However, in the above thread you will find out how and why 30 inches is sort of old school. Building from back to front and a one or two stepstool renders 30 inches invalid for most modelers.
Welcome and cheers, Jim:)

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, i can lift the garage door for access on the far side and have left room for service hatches towards the back of the 1200 x 2400 sections.
David, the inner section of the U is 1200 x 1200 and will be closed up a little once i get the docksides built and a cargo ship in there.
It might not be too clear in the photos but the track will continue over the front of the U incorporating a walthers swing bridge, i'll be getting some more timber at the weekend so will hopefully fill this part in .
Hey Jim, all i can say is wow! it took me a while to read your thread but it was worth every minute, if i can get my layout half as good as yours i'll be a very happy man.

Cheers Darren

Evening all, this is the basic layout design without the switching part, thats still giving me a headache so i may have to get some help with that.

If any one has any ideas i'm open to any suggestions and don't mind rebuilding the benchwork if it helps.

Where the track runs diagonally across the centre of the layout it is at its lowest point and this is where i would like to put my port industries, around the top and right hand side of the centre cut out.

The layout is designed to be unbolted at the grey vertical lines making it easier to move when our lease runs out on this house so trying to keep things simple at these points.

Thanks for looking

Darren

Slow build....that is great for your first pictures. Looks really great! Please keep us posed with pictures...lots of pictures.

Looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures when the scenery starts taking shape. Its nice that you can use the garage for the layout and still have room to park the car in there.

Looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures when the scenery starts taking shape. Its nice that you can use the garage for the layout and still have room to park the car in there.

Cheers Jim, it helps having a very small car, the falcon has to live outside much to my girlfriends distaste:) (Her falcon, the little ones my work hack)

Thanks for the comments guys, done some other bits and pieces i'll take some photos tonight and stick them on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Done a little bit more on the railroad but unsure about this bridge, would a swing bridge be this high from water level?? When the scenery is on the water level will be approx 1/2 inch from the base where the sharpie is.

This is around 21 metres from sea level to the bottom of the bridge when scaled up.

Looking at the photo i think its too high but would like a second opinion before i start building a new bridge.

Cheers

Darren

As I'm sure you are aware, swing bridges are typically used over narrow waterways like rivers where a fixed bridge would be too low to allow marine traffic to pass underneath. Realistically, not many vessels travelling up a narrow waterway would require over 21 meters clearance. But who says it needs to be realistic? If you're happy with it, then that's all that matters.

:)

Cheers Mike, Its at the entrance to a small container/cargo port with a fixed bridge either side but i'm undecided if its too high. I could redo the bench work and bring the rails lower but means a lot more work.

Darren

If you are concerned about whether a swing bridge that high would be needed, just refer to the ships that would use it. Would the bridge need to be swung open to allow ships to pass? If not, then it would probably be unneeded as is. But, as is always said, it's your railroad and if you like it, then that is all that matters! I know that statement is going to hold true for me!

If you add another bridge on one side it will make a wider river and look right at home.
It will also place the ships more to the middle of the channel which was usually the case.

Thanks for the input guys, Rico, sorry i should have stated the water will be as wide as the lower section of benchwork, the two pieces of plywood either side of the swing bridge are to make sure i get it at the right height. but i think i will still lower it a couple of inches and see what it looks like then.

Cheers Darren

I hate to say it, but regardless of the height of the bridge, the width of the opening, when it swings open, appears to be too narrow for anything larger than a sailboat or small fishing boat to safely negotiate. The higher the bridge, the narrower the opening appears to be visually.
If it were a marina with tall sailboats, or a fleet of small fishing boats with tall rigging harbored on the other side of the bridge, then the bridge would look right to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there Darren, hadn't spotted this thread before, so I'll come over here now and give "the Pom" heaps.

For the bridge, as has been pointed out, the main channel will be in the centre and unfortunately, right where the pivot foundation is.

How about building it (you can still use the same bridge) London Bridge style (not sure if you're familiar with that one though). If not I'll get my son to to send some pics, he works nearby. :p

Hello toot, thanks for your input, i think that has made my mind up on the swing bridge, gutted to lose it as i was looking forward to having it on the layout. I think i'll finish building it and stick it up for sale and use the money to buy a couple standard truss bridges.

I've been over London bridge a few times having worked as a sparky all over that area, i don't think my scratch building skills are up to the challenge just yet.

Cheers
Darren

Back