The High Cost of Model Railroading

Its the way we have to do things nowadays. As for my health I am at a point where every time I start feeling better something else goes wrong so its one of those 1 step forward 2 steps back for the past 6 years. I just hope I will be around next year and the year after that, lol. Cant really do much strenuous activities so I either go railfanning and take pics (Cameras are another expensive hobby) or do something with the trains even though lately I haven't felt like doing anything for that past 3 months.

There was a movie not long ago about a bloke who grew younger instead of older, have often thought that life starts at the wrong end. How much better if we could start with all our knowledge and experience and THEN get the benefit from all that when we have the health and energy. Something wrong in the design somewhere.

There was a movie not long ago about a bloke who grew younger instead of older, have often thought that life starts at the wrong end. How much better if we could start with all our knowledge and experience and THEN get the benefit from all that when we have the health and energy. Something wrong in the design somewhere.

That would be nice, BTW I was 28 when my health issues started in 2006. LOL

I've thought that for years toot. It's an unfortunate reality. Mix in the varying states of maturity levels, cultural differances of countries, emotions from people of differant backgrounds, etc. etc. etc. and it gets complicated quick. I will leave the design of all this to a higher authority and hope for the best and try and have a good attitude. It can be laughable sometimes though.

I guess it depends on your perspective. I'm coming from the model airplane world where it is easy to end up with a plane worth $10,000. So the cost of trains looks like a bargain to me right now!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it depends on your perspective. I'm coming from the model airplane world where it is easy to end up with a plane worth $10,000. So the cost of trains looks like a bargain to me right now!!

I've seen those types of planes at Top Gun. It's great for guys like Frank Tiano who own huge companies but for guys like me, the most expensive I had was a 33% Extra 300 with a Brison 2.4 and Mejzlik CF prop and all the fixins. Even then, it was only $1K or so. That's why I got out of it. Hugely expensive. This is a piece of cake in comparison.

As long as people PAY OTHERS to assemble their models the hobby is dead. How do you EVER get better skills unless you build it yourself? Sure, your first few models will suck, but later you have skills and can build whatever you want. I refuse to buy already put together rolling stock. I hate that I can no longer get Bowser stuff engine kits detail parts siderods rivets, and drivers. The plastic steam engines ARE ALL CRAP. EVERYONE. if you think otherwise , you have the bar set too low.

My bar height is just fine...

913023.jpg

LOL! My bar height isn't at rivet counting level. It couldn't be at 8' up. I couldn't see them to count them. I can appreciate those who do and produce fine scale. But I wont knock anyone either way...it's unsporting.

The plastic steam engines ARE ALL CRAP. EVERYONE. if you think otherwise , you have the bar set too low.

LOL, that's one of the funniest posts on here.

I can only assume that you're posting that from a hand built computer running CPM, because otherwise, you're a poseur with delusions of grandeur.

Really, you should be posting with a telegraph key and translating from morse code, if you set your bar at an acceptable level.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

Stoker, great reply. Right on the money. What we need least of on any forum is attitude and elitism.

Hi Y3a

The hobby is not dead, it has evolved. For better or worse, it is what it is.

Have you had the opportunity to examine these top of the line locomotives? Keep an open mind and take a look, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I can guarantee you that they will run better because of the advancements in the electric motors.

I have arthritis in my hands and building models is not an option for me. Other people are so busy in today's demanding world that they just don't have time to build models.

Even when I was young I did not like building models, it is just not my thing, to each his own.

I feel bad for you because everyone has their niche in this hobby that they enjoy and unfortunately yours is becoming extinct.

Check on eBay and the train shows, I would think you will find what you are looking for.

Good luck to you

Louis

As long as people PAY OTHERS to assemble their models the hobby is dead. How do you EVER get better skills unless you build it yourself? Sure, your first few models will suck, but later you have skills and can build whatever you want. I refuse to buy already put together rolling stock. I hate that I can no longer get Bowser stuff engine kits detail parts siderods rivets, and drivers. The plastic steam engines ARE ALL CRAP. EVERYONE. if you think otherwise , you have the bar set too low.

There was a movie not long ago about a bloke who grew younger instead of older, .

That movie started a lot of discussion in our home. I am 55 and my wife 58, and we would never want to turn back the clock. Not that we are all that healthy. We just went through so much tough stuff that this is way better.

Anyway, since discovering ebay, patience in bidding, and the forum; I am having tons of fun with my railroad. I "won" 4 vintage in the box complete roundhouse kits, delivered to my home, for like $17.00. I got that "lot" of 7 railcars which included the two novel antique reefer (see antique rolling stock thread) cars and an excellent caboose for the same price. That is $34 for 11 nice pieces of rolling stock.

Anyway, I place my highest bid, and then hold my breath.

Lets all have fun on here! Each in his own way! logandsawman

The movie was The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Brad Pitt and one of his memorable roles.

The wife was a audio/video production major in college and is like a vault full of trivia like that lol.

Well done logandsawman!

Now that is how you run a railroad!

I looked at the pictures of you old wood cars, very cool!

RCShadow I don't know that movie, did anything blow up in that movie? I am more of a James Bond, Star Trek or Indiana Jones kind of guy. If nothing is blowing up I can almost guarantee you I will be asleep in the chair.

Speaking of Indiana Jones my youngest grandson runs around the house humming the theme wearing his Indiana Jones hat, cracking his toy whip and shooting his toy 45. He watches those movies with me, over and over again and again.

Thinking of the premise of that Benjamin Button movie, if I knew what I know now when I was young I probably would have been a criminal, that would have been too much power for me as a teenager. God knows what he/she is doing.

Yes I have looked at the 'new plastic' steam engines.
They have a useable track life of 3 years of moderate running.
I won't touch a MTH engine, as its more of a toy than a scale model. (Why couldn't they manage to paint the front engine truck wheels on that J?)
BLI botched the paint on the second run of Y6's. So much for actual accuracy from the manufacturers (that Bar thing again I guess).
an EM1 or a C&O H8 would be nice but incorrectly articulated means it looks wrong going around curves.

I model the N&W in the 1936-1941 era.

I have several brass engines I've re-quartered, remotored and painted. I have some Sunset 4-8-0's, a 2-6-6-2, and a NWSL 2-8-0. They pull fine, run smooth at slow speeds and hold up. I have the Horrid sunset(?) K3 4-8-2 that needed a LOT of work to make it run smoothly. That big boiler is full of lead sheet, the frame springs were swapped for the heavy duty ones and it got a new NWSL gearbox.
I also have 8 Powerhouse Y3's that ARE correctly articulated and I have added weight, changed the springs, remotored them and they pull just fine.

I have some Bowser PRR 2-10-0's and their USRA 4-8-2, and a Challenger which also is articulated correctly.
I built all of them and after you know how to get the mechanics to behave you have a nice heavy locomotive you could get parts and repair yourself.

I do have some plastic steam.
Bachmann J has developed quartering issues because of cheap too thin axles.
I have 2 BLI Y6b's and they are lousy pullers. The motors make lots of noise after a while.
The "A", like the Y's are incorrectly articulated, so they look stupid on curves. Its motor is very loud when going backwards.
I have a USRA 4-8-2 heavy that runs fine, and THAT is the exception.
I have to old Y6b's from Rivorossi that I backdated to be Y5's and with their traction tires they pull "OK" but are lacking due to the cab and some details.
I have 2 of the Lifelike USRA/Y3 2-8-8-2's and they are also incorrectly articulated and don't pull well.
The plastic engines are too light, and rigid to ever pull well.
The plastic engines get oiled and lubed every 2-3 months, and wheels cleaned about every 4-6 weeks. They don't usually run on weekdays, usually Sat and Sunday mornings.

I used to paint Brass Steam for a full time business for 3 years until I got burned out doing it all the time.
I also used to do mechanical repairs on Brass too like re-quartering, new motors gear boxes, fabricating small valve gear parts etc.
I do kinda know what I'm talking about.

Back