The High Cost of Model Railroading

I'd have to agree with you, and I'd go further then to say you know what you are doing, I'd say you are an expert in your field!

I have less then 1 year experience In full time model railroading. I had a train under my Christmas tree for most of my life but that is not model railroading.

I am primarily a Lionel O-gauge guy. I have gotten into HO a little bit restoring my old Christmas trains and I have gotten interested in Lionel HO made in the USA from the 70's I also got interested in DCC and have 3 Bachmann entry level DCC locomotives. I have all diesel HO and only a few ready to run steam sets in O-gauge that my grandsons and I play with on our floor layout.

I don't like MTH either, but not because it is a toy I don't like their business practices. I have nothing against toy trains I love my old Tyco toy trains. If not for Tyco I would probably never had a train in the first place. I have a high dollar Lionel Legacy locomotive, but to me it is still a toy and I enjoy my toy.

Compared to you I am only on the outskirts of model railroading, but that does not mean I enjoy my trains less then you do. Some of these guys seem to be taking what you are saying personal. I don't think your anger was directed at us. I think you are just venting your frustration with the direction the hobby has taken. I see your point.

Now getting back to your last post. That was very interesting and thank you for sharing some of your experience. Even though some of it went completely over my novice head. This may be a stupid question to you, but I'll ask anyway. What is quartering?

Have you seen the Rivarossi Big Boy? If so what did you think?

How about the New Lionel Vision Line Locomotives?

Sounds like the N&W is the perfect railroad for you, were they not the last class 1 railroad to build and run steam?

Let me know what you think

Louis

I do kinda know what I'm talking about.

Yes I have looked at the 'new plastic' steam engines.
They have a useable track life of 3 years of moderate running.
I won't touch a MTH engine, as its more of a toy than a scale model. (Why couldn't they manage to paint the front engine truck wheels on that J?)

<SNIP>

I used to paint Brass Steam for a full time business for 3 years until I got burned out doing it all the time.
I also used to do mechanical repairs on Brass too like re-quartering, new motors gear boxes, fabricating small valve gear parts etc.
I do kinda know what I'm talking about.

I hear you, but this is all still your opinion for your practice of the hobby. I have done/am currently doing everything you are. I don't own any plastic steam either, as by the time any of it hit the market I already had what I needed in brass. That being said, there was also a faction who once, years ago, complained that Blue Box was going to kill the hobby because "nobody will build anything any more". Kinda sounds like those folks always telling everyone "Repent the end is near" don't it? ;)

For you, there are still companies like Westerfield, F&C, plenty of Sunshine Models kits on e-bay, and at least half a dozen healthy companies making craftsman level structure kits. NWSL is still around and there is loads of 70s'-90's era second hand brass on e-bay or at dealers around the country. Anyone who wants to build can do so. Those of us who work 60 plus hours a week and just want to run some trains can buy them and plunk them down on the track and watch them roll. Nothing wrong with that either. Craftsman level modelers have been a minority in this hobby for a long time. Those who want to develop the necessary skills to become one will. Those who don't should not be regarded as any less of a hobbyist. There aren't that many of us at all levels put together, so why not let everyone enjoy the hobby the way they want to?

Hi Bad Order

How is your eye? you old joker!

I'm glad to hear you say these things Bad Order,

I thought I was the only one that liked my stuff to look like it came right out of the box and I have no desire to scratch build either.

I don't agree with only buying high quality though.

I buy what ever I like from Tyco to full scale Lionel.

Just as long as I like it.

Louis

Scratchbuilding? Kit Bashing? Weathering? No thank you!

As long as there is new quality equipment available at whatever cost, I'll by it!

I buy fine-detailed scale Locomotives and Rolling Stock, and I always pay the price.

Then I have it!

I also like my quipment new and shiny, just as it comes from the box... no weathering or anything else that makes a fine Loco, Boxcar, Hopper or Caboose look dirty!

Bad Order

If you're not having fun then you're spending too much money. If you're having fun and meeting your real responsiblities you have met the only bar that matters.

If you're not having fun then you're spending too much money. If you're having fun and meeting your real responsiblities you have met the only bar that matters.

Ouch! I think I fall into the 1st category, but at least being on here eases the pain.

Ouch! I think I fall into the 1st category, but at least being on here eases the pain.

Hey Louis and toot...got the second to last shipment from eBay purchases today. Five cars that look mint. Old Athearn's from the 60's. All five for $40 with shipping :). One more Walthers Gold coil car to go and I am done for awhile. It should be here in a day or two.

And yes, I am DONE. The wife says so...

That is some thrifty shopping!

Sometimes when I tell my wife about the great deal I found I just get a blank stare, does that happen to you?

She does not complain or say anything, just a blank (like I care) stare

That is some thrifty shopping!

Sometimes when I tell my wife about the great deal I found I just get a blank stare, does that happen to you?

I know that look...been getting it lately. It's more of a "don't you dare till next month" kinda look though.

Sounds like marital bliss to me.

My wife is wonderful, but she just does not understand why trains are important to me.

I give her credit though because she is happy that trains make me happy.

Louis

Hey Bad Order,

I am glad that you were wise enough to put yourself in the financial position that enables you to enjoy your trains in your own way.

I would bet you a dollar to a doughnut that somewhere there is someone with only a cheap toy train set that is having more fun then you and I combined. That is doing something because I have a lot of fun with my toy trains!

That is the beauty of this hobby, there is fun for everyone.

This is the worlds greatest hobby, In my opinion anyway.

Louis

Well, I say that if you're not spending enough money, then you're not getting the better equipment that satisfies you and allows you to have the most fun! Budget model railroading is a drag and not worth the effort!

I found that to be happy in model railroading, I have to have top quality, extreme detailing on my equipment, rolling on realistic-looking trackage. This is why I've selected O-scale 2-rail track for its prototypical appearance.

Bad Order

That is the perfect sign for you. I have to say you got me good with the eye thing!

Plain doughnut it is! I'm a boston cream guy myself.

Glad to hear you are doing good, that is a lot of months!

That is a pretty puppy, what is her name?

How is the layout coming along?

Louis

That is cool, I had a Dalmatian that could almost talk, I knew what he was saying.

I have 2 beagles and a cat now.

I never wanted a cat, but my daughters Aunt gave her a kitten on her 16th birthday and you know teenagers, now I have a cat! My Noel is 12 years old now. She is a good girl, crazy and hardheaded, but we love her.

I can't understand why anyone would get up set, but I am glad to see the locomotive! I do like that locomotive! Is that just for display or do you run it too.

I prefer diesels, but I like all trains.

I'll tell you about my 4 year old grandson. He likes to look at my Lionel book about the years 1970-1985 and if you ask him "what train do you like" he will eventually point to every train on the page. He and I have the same problem, we love all the trains.

Yeah, I don't like to show pictures of myself past the age of 65 either. Got rid of the big mirror in the bedroom too about the same time.

Well..............I guess that was one compliment that missed it's mark then. I'll just have to admit to some conceit.

Hey Bad Order!

That is a fantastic family you have, thanks for sharing them with us.

Musically inclined too! I bet they are smart, I have read that studying music helps improve intelligence. I hope my boys get involved in music at school.

I don't have any musical talent to share with my grandsons, but I do try to keep them busy with sports and other things. Busy kids are good kids! I am lucky enough to share my trains with them too.

We have a Lionel ready to run set we play with on the floor. I have 3 layouts including the floor layout. Everywhere you look in my basement is Trains, sports equipment and memorabilia, games and books. It's a great place for me and my boys. Of course we have 2 couches, chairs and a TV to watch Sponge Bob, the Animaniacs, Kipper the Dog, Spiderman, Batman, Indiana Jones and what ever else these guys want to watch. We also have 3 computer work stations and Play Station 3. My wife is wonderful, she just sits in her chair and reads. She lets us do what ever we want.

Beagles take some getting use to. They want to hunt down anything they see. They don't so much bark but they howl like crazy! The more we get to know each other the better we are doing. We have not been together very long, but at least my older beagle is not escaping and exploring any more. Thank God he always came home because there is no way I could catch this guy!

My wife and I adopted an unwanted beagle that was 18 months old, my son did not know and he got me a 8 week old beagle puppy, just luck they were the same breed.

We got the beagles after my baby, my Bessy, my English Cocker Spaniel died suddenly of a heart attack last year. I miss my Bessy.

I am sorry I wrote so much, pictures tell a story, but I am terrible with pictures so I described us.

Talk to you later my friend!

Louis

Back