The High Cost of Model Railroading

Hi King Toot!

I know just how you feel![

I got a shower the other day and I sat down to dry off and I happened to look in the mirror. I thought "holy mackerel Andy! gravity catches up with you!" I don't know what happened to the guy that use to play semi-pro baseball and football, but I know it was me.

Don't feel bad it is what it is and everyone goes through it. Bad Order has the right mind set, be proud of who you are.

We earned our stripes!

Louis

QUOTE=tootnkumin;318752]Yeah, I don't like to show pictures of myself past the age of 65 either. Got rid of the big mirror in the bedroom too about the same time.[/QUOTE]

Hey, Bad Order,

I started exercising in the oilfield and haven't quit. It is pushups, situps, and squats for me; but I am a chipmunk at 55.

As far as the cost of modelling goes, Bruette in his wisdom turned me on to ebay and I can't believe the treasures I have collected. There is some risk involved, and you may buy a couple stupid things, but I have been super satisfied with my business there.

It does take some time and patience to get the cool stuff, and you may have to bid on 10 things to get one good buy, but it can be a fun pasttime.

Good to have you on here! logandsawman

Bad,

You ought to try it at least once. Just do it the way I do it. Research the piece to make sure its really what you need. Set YOUR maximum price, and bid it. Then "walk away" from the auction. E-bay will email you if you've been outbid, as well as one in case you win.

I hear you, but this is all still your opinion for your practice of the hobby. I have done/am currently doing everything you are. I don't own any plastic steam either, as by the time any of it hit the market I already had what I needed in brass. That being said, there was also a faction who once, years ago, complained that Blue Box was going to kill the hobby because "nobody will build anything any more". Kinda sounds like those folks always telling everyone "Repent the end is near" don't it? ;)

For you, there are still companies like Westerfield, F&C, plenty of Sunshine Models kits on e-bay, and at least half a dozen healthy companies making craftsman level structure kits. NWSL is still around and there is loads of 70s'-90's era second hand brass on e-bay or at dealers around the country. Anyone who wants to build can do so. Those of us who work 60 plus hours a week and just want to run some trains can buy them and plunk them down on the track and watch them roll. Nothing wrong with that either. Craftsman level modelers have been a minority in this hobby for a long time. Those who want to develop the necessary skills to become one will. Those who don't should not be regarded as any less of a hobbyist. There aren't that many of us at all levels put together, so why not let everyone enjoy the hobby the way they want to?

I really liked the Westerfield kits, and the F&C ones too. I never understood why Bachmann never produced the N&W HU or HUa 4 bay hoppers to go along with the y3's. At the time they were built, 1919-1923 the N&W had almost 11,000 of them. I have some great drawings from Mainline Modeler of the HU and I may make some parts I can then make molds of to produce a fleet of perhaps 20-40. I never had the money to 'go crazy' with brass, and usually bartered some repairs and painting in trade. I made my own Y5's by modifying a Rivorossi Y6b and made a 'sort-of' original tender from an 'excursion era' A tank and details molded from part of the Powerhouse Y3 tender. Like all train layouts mine will never be finished. I had decided on a light weight scenery method of aluminum screen with floral foam inside for tree support and then using some thinned down spackling compound applied with a painting trim roller. my trees are 80 % Sedums, dried and painted. some are Woodland scenics and some are other natural materials. I'm just starting the lighting of the structures, using some LED's that put out an incandescent like light. I added an interior to 2 of the Bachmann Sears Craftsman houses and use slide glass for the windows since they are right at the edge of the layout where everybody can look in. Of course I also have the Addams Family house and the Bates Hotel, and a radio station tower (WEAK)Think Statler Brothers "Saturday Morning Radio Show". Model RR'ing is just one of my hobbies, so I split time between Micro RC Helicopters, Sci Fi Modeling, Audio, and Studio Scale modeling of the Jupiter 2 from Lost in Space, a 4 foot diameter copy of the SPFX hull.

Back