The Coffee Shop is now open. Come on in and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi y'all, just a regular sized coffee for me Flo...

I'm about to embark on another day at the office, hopefully it will be a quiet one since half the people are out taking Christmas leave. There isn't much layout progress to report, other than I got my ore dock area ready so I could park my ore bridge on it again. Currently it's sitting in sections on the 'bar' countertop in my family room along with 1000 other pieces of MRR-related tools and 'junk' - I need to have this cleared off by Firday so we can host a reunion of relatives from my M-I-L's side of the family (she's too old to do this thing herself anymore). And tonight my wife's employer is having their Christmas party, so no MRR time then either. I'm afraid I've got holiday burnout...

Dave - you're right that is an excellent book, I had trouble putting it down the other night (and I've only just started Chapter 3). I'm sure I'll go thru it as many times myself when all is said and done!

Rex - these are the same people my family usually visits every year near B-ham (Pell City to be exact). Unfortunately, this coming summer the plan is for both families to meet at a Carolina beach (most likely Cape Hatteras). Hopefully this forum will still exist a year and a half from now so I can visit with you guys :( ...

Pancakes and bacon for me, Flo. Large coffee too.

Rex, I know what you mean about the gas bill. :eek: We're burning alot of wood to offset that some. Problem is, someone has to cut/split all that wood. :D

Ken, Hang in there. The holiday season is almost over. You can make it, you can make it... :D

Ken & Rex:Ya know the savings I make in shipping through Teffy reaqlly isn't worth it when you consider how much scrubbing and crap I have to peel off to get "her" back to what she's suppose to be!

Before:
agm.sized.jpg

After:
agn.sized.jpg

I'll have to rethink this for next Christmas

I'm surprised there isn't a Logo on the tender reading

"Bob's Your Uncle"

Later Everyone

Fergie

I don't know Fergie, but the "before" picture looks pretty darned good. If you hadn't changed the color of "Pinkie", think of the flow of such vibrant colors wondering through your hills and valleys. (YUK!):D

Poor Uncle Bob. He tries so hard to make you happy and then you screw up his beautiful paint job.
k1ocray.gif

That 2-10-4 is a beut. I wonder if I can think of some reason to have C&O running around. I already have a UP Challenger on lease and my road is so busy we may have to lease something else. Hmmmm! Is that a BLI?

KenL: I feel for you, man. It's never good when in-laws show up at your door with suitcases:eek:. As Eric said, "...almost over."

Eric: Now I wish that I had bought an insert for my fireplace. I still can't get over it. We already have the thermostat set at "brrrr!" temperature and have been using the fireplace. I know my shop uses some of that, but last year it only added about $40-50 to the bill. Guess it is time to break out the thermo's. Have you been doing any railfanning or hunting?

Larry: The DVD's sound like my kind of humor.

Good afternoon guys, and ladies

Just finished up my work for the day, and now time to reeeelaxxx :) Not sure how many of you listen to the railroadradio.net stuff, but my favorite dispatcher is on the air, on the LA Basin for the UP, he is the one that talks that surfer talk. If you haven't heard him you may want to once, he is a riot.

Anyway think I will break out the camera today and get some shots posted of those new MP15's and some of the pewter vehicles I finally got around to doing.

Hope everyone is enjoying the week, it's almost over...

Somehow Rex, I seem to remember that Alagasco, (our local gas company) had promised not to raise the rates anymore until at least the Spring. But that was after they had already raised them by 37% - 60%. I believe that current Bloomberg prices show a 19-37 cent drop in price. They said this was due to past week being warmer that forecast. If this continues, (he asks sarcastically), I wonder how soon Alagasco will drop its rates???

Fergi Be happy he doesn't put " SANTA FE ALL THE WAY" on it for you too.

Hi all not much happening here . Nice looking loco Fergi but think you should have left it PINK lol

Evening Flo .. Diet Dr Pepper Please ..

Im heading back to Roanoke this weekend to remove all our stuff in the storage building( save a hundred dollars a month) .. im going to head by the O Winston Link Museum in the N&W Union Station Building .. and may stop by the Transportation Museum there also .. anyone need any pics of the Roanoke Shops or anything else while im there??

Ron

WOHO! Got my first Wheel Works Terminal Tractor!!! Wandering the net right now in between watching Law & Order SVU season 1, that i bought for my GF. Anyone know where to get modern details for Passenger cars? What companies have the best? I need to detail that Streamlined baggage car from Matuna... How about the trucks & wheels for it? I has lighting, but I don't want to install it, no need for it in a baggage car.

Rex: As I'm not sure of your Company's corporate policy I can't give advice. But my policy is Beg, Borrow, haul & Steel.

C&O is dumping all her Steam on us as bargain prices as she's going with Dieselization.

The GM is buying up what ever he can from scrap yards and putting new life in to old junk (doing a wonderful job at it).

CN: Is slowly encroaching on our territory as it realizes that the line that it once owned is profitable, if you use a little imagination.

I fear our demise is near!

Fergie

Hey Sabrina, how about a western omelet (Grande Omelet? :D ) and a large coffee?

Ron/Josh, we need pics. ;)

CJ/Rex, I ain't holding my breath for Alagasco to reduce their prices. :(

Dave, I wish I had high speed internet here at home. Maybe when I get back to work, I can listen to "surfer boy". That would be a hoot. :cool:

Fergie, good luck with the inevitable merger. :D

Hi gang! How's all today? Flo, a big greasy burger, loaded, fries, and a Pepsi. Nice shorts you have on...err...skirt!

David: I have had a lot of fun listening to that dispatcher. I believe I got the link from one of your posts on the other side of the tracks. http://railroadradio.net/

Eric/CJ: The only hope we'll have with the Nat.Gas prices is warm weather.

Fergie: You make a good argument for purchasing additional equipment from other roads. Think I will bring it up at the next Board of Directors meeting (when I have the courage:eek: ).

RT: You make a good point about Uncle Bob. He could have tried a hostile takeover with the M.E.S.S. The Fergmiester best be cautious.

Ron/Josh: Like Eric said, bring on the photos. We feed on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Flo, big cuppa joe, a hot biscuit and some redeye gravy if you please. Wow Flo, nice outfit!:eek: Really shows your assets rather well :p ! I haven't seen a skirt that short since.... I better shut up, her skirt is short but her knife is big!;)

grande man said:
Almost forgot :eek: , any of the ARG Gang up for holding the next meet on Jan 14? Ya'll be thinking about it.
Eric: Name time & place, I'll be there!!:D

Rex: Yeah I know what ya mean about the gas bill. We still are supposed to have above average temps for the next 5-7 days but after that the weather models are all over the place.:p One has even started what it has done for the past 3 years and predicting a blizzard for us 14 days out.:eek:
And, he asks, how many have we had????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now you ask if you can justify a C&O 2-10-4 for your RR? Sure you can, The Blue Creek Coal Company has hit a major new seam of Hi quality coal and has a contract for export. The C&O had an extra 2-10-4 that you have just bought to bring that coal down out of the mountains to ship to Eastern seaports. Now all else you have to do is also pickup some 50-75 new hoppers to be able to fulfill your contract obligations with the exporters. This will also have to mean hiring some engineers to study the railine and bridges on the property to ascertain the condition of the road to see if it can support such a heavy locomotive, clearence issues in the curves, cuts and tunnels. Bring in more crews into the car shops to maintain the new cars as well as to build the needed cabooses for the road. Crews for the shopping the loco & to make sure it recieves proper BC&W lettering, all in all very easily done as you can hire from the pool of local folk that needs jobs.

BTW, CJ Engineering is available for all surveys, crew hiring etc at a very reasonable price. I'll send one of my associates, Vinnie the Fin, over to "discuss" the contract tomorrow. You'll easily recognise him when he gets there. His knuckles drag the ground when he walks.:D:D:D

Actually that little story just is one illustration you can use to justify the acquisition of new power/structures/cars, etc in the history of your road. :)
Now whether or not the CFO, (thats Caroline), goes for it, is another story.;)

CJ, Are you going to the McWane Center Saturday? If so, could a couple of perspective WC members (ie, to cheap to pay admission ;))tag along?

Josh

I am jealous, that yard tractor looks great, they used to make one in N scale by GHQ, but they retired the mold, not sure why. Is that a plastic kit or metal?

Sabrina, I too would like a Grande Omelet with OJ and coffee:)

Hello gang, glad to see people starting to show up here again, it's been abnormally quiet here the past few days.

There's a thread on the Other Side that epitomizes, for me, exactly the reason why I came over to this forum on October 1 and made it my primary hangout. Somebody posted an umpteenth rant about rising prices in the MRR hobby, and predictably, it attracted the full range of responses, personality types and flame wars. It's generating enough heat to offset those high Alagasco prices you 'Bama guys are coping with! Threads such as that one do NOT enhance my enjoyment of the hobby one bit, too bad people can't just let it die a natural death.

Fergie - that blackwashed C&O 2-10-4 certainly adds a touch of class to your MESS. But if you're ever visiting Peach Creek Shops (#2 LHS in Maryland after MB Klein), I'd be extremely careful about referring to any C&O steam power as 'old junk' - the boss there feels mighty er...strongly about his most beloved road!:eek:

Rex - Did railroads in the Fifties engage in 'power pooling' the way diseasilized lines have always done? That could give you a justification for having a C&O loco on your pike...

. . .Back to work, times a' wastin...

Eric; Unfortunately I got hunniedo's Sat. Besides, I think the center is closed Sat & Sun for New Years. Its a good thing too. We got notified by the management there that the layout got vandalized at closing Tues. People, trucks and autos were pulled up, telephone poles, scenery, etc were damaged and some RR cars were damaged as well. This is the first time, in almost twenty years of public display, that we've had any damage done to the layout by someone on the other side of the glass. (B&%#$@ds!!!!).
Fortunately the damage appears slight, and teardown is on the 2nd, so we will be able to move it to new quarters and fix it quickly.

Hello everyone, i'v got the shovel in the firebox on the decapod and it's full of bacon and eggs all sizzzzzzeling hot, anyone fancy some:D
Carey i don't understand why people wreck stuff like they do, they must be sick in the head, a friend of mine had his layout wrecked at a show when a young lad fell onto the top of it, now this was an accident, simple as that but when people do things like vandalise layouts you should be able to go to there home and wreck there stuff.
it's a nice cool 24f here with snow on the way, glad i'v got a nice warm bed waiting,
later folks

Yeah Steve, I'll have a big helping, if your burning wood:D .

CJ: Sorry to hear that about the Wrecking Crew damage. I am not allowed to print my real thoughts about it.
Gosh CJ! I didn't know running the C&O on my layout would be so simple:rolleyes: . Don't know about hiring CJ Engineering. I've heard they had a lot of Auburn grads.:p I may soon have to hire some locals though and may need a rent-a-crew outfit.

KenL: I know exactly where you are coming from about the other side of the street. It has got so bad, I seldom go there. I don't care what you post, someone is going to try and slam you down rather it be for grammer or on-topic discussion.
I honestly don't know if they pooled in the 50's or not. But, heck! The BC&W will do anything to make a buck.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back