The 60/40 Layout And Other Railway Related Things

Usually it's a mess when I paint anything, seepage is my biggest problem, @Espeefan suggested I use green Frog Tape, and I like it.

A closer look at the Burlington I posted earlier.

1704481147485.jpeg

And magnified X4.

1704481220075.jpeg

For a novice I'm very happy with the result.

It looks fine in the first photo. The second photo is also OK, but nobody will look that closely! 😁 If you want to eliminate seepage completely try shooting a little clear coat over the tape before changing colors. Any seepage will be clear, and not visible.

Last edited:
How do those type of decoders differ from this type that i put into my old steamer? I assume newer technology? Or types with no sound?

View attachment 179106
or even these older type?

View attachment 179107
It's not a decoder, you still have to add one., and speakers.

If you were to add say 8 light functions to a loco, plus 2 speakers, that's a lot of wiring, now you have a mechanical problem and you need to separate the bodyshell from the chassis, how are you going to work on the chassis with 16 wires attached to the shell, that's what the Decoder Buddy is actually for, the contact board unplugs so you can separate the shell with all your lights etc., from the chassis and not worry about a tangle of wires.

I'm just using it as a cheap alternative way of using up the 21-pin decoders, all the adapter boards I can find are 21-pin female, which is what the decoders are and I need a 21-pin male adapter.

Just catching up on this thread.
Also installed a decoder in an Ilinois Central GE U-30B, (not sure that's right),
That's almost the correct nomenclature, GE U30B; normally there is no dash, but that's trivial. IC had just 6 of them, 5000-5005.
The 20' have 20g, 45' 35g (0.7oz, 1.23oz), but I can add more if needed.
That's about the right weight for those two size containers. I use 17.5g in my 20' containers, but 20g is not too much. I glue US pennies inside as weights.
Somewhere along the way I've lost one of the sun visors, and it's no where to be found, so I'll try making one.
I have made my own out of styrene, but I have found that here in the states the metal ones are cheap and easy to install.

Just catching up on this thread.

That's almost the correct nomenclature, GE U30B; normally there is no dash, but that's trivial. IC had just 6 of them, 5000-5005.

That's about the right weight for those two size containers. I use 17.5g in my 20' containers, but 20g is not too much. I glue US pennies inside as weights.

I have made my own out of styrene, but I have found that here in the states the metal ones are cheap and easy to install.
Thanks, Willie, I wasn't sure if that was right with the U30, but we tend to add bits we shouldn't.
I measured up the sun visor, it's not 100% accurate, but buying one just doesn't make sense to me, and it would likely have to come from the US.

Right, decided to take the plunge and repaint a couple of passenger cars with CN colours.

All started out looking like this, I barely remembered to take the foto before I finished masking it up.

1705698480892.jpeg

Used Tru-Colour CN paint, un-thinned.

As you can see from the car at the bottom, and also along the bottom edges the black paint peeled, the edges were probably my fault as I folded the tape under the car or possibly I should have dull coated it first before applying the Green, probably both, so remedial work is required.

1705698804854.jpeg

1705698591080.jpeg

Hopefully I can get the touch-ups and varnish done tomorrow, and then decaled on Sunday.

Last edited:
Right, decided to take the plunge and repaint a couple of passenger cars with CN colours.

All started out looking like this, I barely remembered to take the foto before I finished masking it up.

View attachment 179820

Used Tru-Colour CN paint, un-thinned.

As you can see from the car at the bottom, and also along the bottom edges the black paint peeled, the edges were probably my fault as I folded the tape under the car or possibly I should have dull coated it first before applying the Green, probably both, so remedial work is required.

View attachment 179822

View attachment 179821

Hopefully I can get the touch-ups and varnish done tomorrow, and then decaled on Sunday.

I agree, they look great!

Back