The 60/40 Layout And Other Railway Related Things

Quick update.

Painted the interior of the passenger car bodyshells, went with Blue in the end.

1706291505241.jpeg

Couplers swapped out and metal wheels fitted, these wheels are from China (bought before I knew better) axles are a touch short and there's a lot of slop in them, added flangeless 4mm pin-point bearings to the trucks and now they're a perfect fit.

1706291698984.jpeg

Tomorrow I'll see about fitting the wipers to the trucks and the LEDs to the bodyshell, can't do much else till the caps and rectifiers arrive.

Last edited:
Got a little more done today, fitted the interior lights to one of the passenger cars, the cap is a bit of an overkill a 1000 will do, but this is the last one I have from a previous project.

1706379335288.jpeg

Fitted wipers and wires to the trucks.

1706379483834.jpeg

That leaves me with the interior lighting, refitting the windows,(which is the only thing I can do) fit the interiors and decals and I've decided to swap out these metal wheels with ones that have metal axles too, these plastic axled ones are terrible despite adding pin-point bearing.
So now I'm in a mainly "waiting for parts" mode.

This is the Athearn GP9 I acquired earlier this week, it needed some TLC, new motor mountings, cleaning and lubricating the gear towers etc.

1708701280566.jpeg

1708701348846.jpeg

Cleaned the chassis and truck frames, quick spray of primer and a new coat of paint.

1708701457243.jpeg

1708701546162.jpeg

I want to do something different with this GP9, so I found this, would be difficult to reproduce I think, but.......................... worse come to worse, I can always paint it Pennsy Black.:p

1708701783253.png

Last edited:
I've thoroughly enjoyed doing this, well most of it anyway.

1709492556303.jpeg

Turning this into my version of a Ex CN Heritage (leasing) GP9

1709492643140.jpeg

1709492690916.jpeg

1709492714406.jpeg

1709492735456.jpeg

I know the cab isn't sitting properly, I need to sort that out probably some wiring is in the way.
All the lights are SMDs got quite a few and wondered if they would work without using resistors, head and tail do, the cab light needed a small resistor.

Overall I'm quite happy with this and I've learnt a lot doing it.

That locomotive turned out great! I haven’t mastered the skills of painting rolling stock and locomotives yet but hopefully sometime in the future.
I'm in the same boat. I purchased all the paint, powders, brushes...ect.. to start learning to weather, and have somehow seemed to stall on every front (including layout building).

Hoping to get back to it in the near (distant) future.

Maybe going back through the weathering rolling stock thread will help. Its what got me interested in getting the supplies in the first place!

I'm in the same boat. I purchased all the paint, powders, brushes...ect.. to start learning to weather, and have somehow seemed to stall on every front (including layout building).

Hoping to get back to it in the near (distant) future.

Maybe going back through the weathering rolling stock thread will help. Its what got me interested in getting the supplies in the first place!
Just do it Mike, if I can, you most definitely can do this, I mean, the paint won't mysteriously appear on your wagons on it's own now will it. :D

Great job on that GP9! I don't have steady hands for fine detail work like that.

My brother asked me just a few days ago, if I plan to do any weathering on my layout. I told him that weathering and that kind of work will be the absolute last thing I attempt. I'm having too much fun actually building my layout to worry about anything else at this time.

Great job on that GP9! I don't have steady hands for fine detail work like that.

My brother asked me just a few days ago, if I plan to do any weathering on my layout. I told him that weathering and that kind of work will be the absolute last thing I attempt. I'm having too much fun actually building my layout to worry about anything else at this time.
You don't need steady hands for doing this, that's what masking tape is for 😂

Back