Taking a beating on EBAY lately

That's not remotely similar. That's not fraud. It's a warranty issue. You either return it to the store or the manufacturer for repair or replacement. Some even will issue a call tag for UPS of FedEx to pick it up at your home at no expense to you, but in most cases you will have to bear the expense of returning the defective unit. That's normal commerce. And bear in mind that the buyer has the opportunity to thoroughly examine the item in the store. If he walks out with the wrong item, that's on him.

The eBay issue is with sellers who commit fraud. As an example, they advertise an item as NIB (New In Box). When the buyer receives it, it turns out to be used and abused or an entirely different object than described. That's not a warranty issue; it's deliberate fraud, a literal crime in some cases.

Federal law says that someone sent something that they did not order is under no obligation to pay anything for it, and can treat it as a gift. EBay blatantly disregards that and requires that the buyer return it at his expense in order to recover his payment.

EBay is complicit in false listings. I have seen numerous items listed as new, usually with eBay new category boilerplate attached, that are in fact not new, but obviously used and in many cases defective in some manner.

On several occasions, I have reported these listing violations via the appropriate eBay mechanism. I have yet to see a single one be taken down or modified in any way.

As I said, eBay makes big money off of these little scams. I'd like to see someone in authority take them to task on it, but I see little chance of that happening.

This is the biggest reason{s} I don't shop on ebay. ANd according to ebay, its all "legal" to get away with. I am surprised the Feds have not stepped in.
The other thing is that at a regular auction there is usually a showing before hand during which you can inspect an item thorughly that you want to bid on to make sure it is what it is.
At many train shows for used items, many dealers will allow you to test them at a testing station for a simple fee of like a buck to do so.
Shipping and handling can also be a rip off on ebay, and people complain about online hobby shop e-tailer's shipping and handling!:rolleyes:
________
MFLB

Last edited by a moderator:
Been buying and selling on e-Bay for a long time, probably 12-13 years. Paid a little too much for a thing or two, because I got caught up in "bidding fever". I never snipe anymore. I just figure out what I'm willing to pay and bid that. Set it and forget it, because the number one rule there is: There will be another one along soon!

Had one problem with a seller that we mutually resolved, and that I could have avoided if I had been a little more on my guard. (beware of bidding on things late at night when you are tired!:))

Check a sellers feedback. Look closely at what you are buying...do your homework. Shop carefully, becaused just like anywhere, the LHS, the swapmeet, or online LHS...caveat emptor!

e-Bay has the same percentage of problems as any of these communities/businesses. It does bring a very large group of sellers and a very large group of buyers together, and this is what gets you the best prices. Paypal is geared towards satisfying the buyer, not necessarily the seller. I have bought many brass models there over the years, and gotten prices considerably cheaper than I would have anywhere else. It has been a pretty positive experience for me. YMMV

I always read the feedback if the seller has a score less than 100%. I read all the neutrals and negs and evaluate the seller based on what was said, including the seller's responses, when there are some.

Any seller that uses derogatory terms such as Richard Cranium toward the buyer gets put on my Do Not Buy From list, no matter what. A pattern of apparently legitimate buyer gripes gets the same result. It works out pretty well. I have had no problems with MRR sellers, other than one or two whose packing wasn't the best. Even then, there was no damage.

I can't say the same for some non-MRR purchases I have made.

Uhhg. I bought three items from three different sellers, and all three had issues!

I bought a P2K GP60. Seller stated it was used, but didn't list all the damage. If I have to fight him to get a refund, I will!

I bought an NS coil car. It's missing at least one piece. That piece is the walkway. If I have to fight this guy for a refund, I will do that too!

I bought an NS SD40-2. It was listed as new, but when it arrived, it had pieces missing and custom installed MU cables. How is that NEW? I sent it back to him and he said he'd cover my shipping back to him as well as exchange it for a new engine. I don't trust this guy and if he doesn't send me a new engine, I'd have to fight paypal and/or my credit card company to get my money back. His address listed on Ebay is a PO box and he wanted me to send it back to his house.

Uhhg. I bought three items from three different sellers, and all three had issues!

I bought a P2K GP60. Seller stated it was used, but didn't list all the damage. If I have to fight him to get a refund, I will!

I bought an NS coil car. It's missing at least one piece. That piece is the walkway. If I have to fight this guy for a refund, I will do that too!

I bought an NS SD40-2. It was listed as new, but when it arrived, it had pieces missing and custom installed MU cables. How is that NEW? I sent it back to him and he said he'd cover my shipping back to him as well as exchange it for a new engine. I don't trust this guy and if he doesn't send me a new engine, I'd have to fight paypal and/or my credit card company to get my money back. His address listed on Ebay is a PO box and he wanted me to send it back to his house.

I have been buying heavily on eBay. No problems. I have developed a small tight circle of dealers and everything is great! I've even spoken to some of them over the phone.

My situation is different, in that I am buying steam parts and mechanisms so it may not be the same level as your diesels since I build from scratch and detail parts.

Take your time when you buy on eBay. Read feedback and what people say. You will need to filter through the BS, but you can detect patterns very easily.

Well, all but one of these sellers have 100% feedback, and one of the two are Top Rated. (What a load of baloney)

This is just one of many complaints and why I don't deal on Ebay.
________
Zx14 vs hayabusa

Last edited by a moderator:

Back