Sound

santino

I mentioned in another post I am just getting back into the hobby. My question is for DCC or DC sound what HO engines have the best sound systems? By that I mean if I get a GP9 which one sounds the best? Thanx

My question is for what HO engines have the best sound systems? By that I mean if I get a GP9 which one sounds the best?
Since everyone's ears are different the one that sounds best to me might not be the one that sounds best to you. However, the only GP9 that I know of equipped with sound from the factory is the Proto-2000 run a few years ago. So unless I am mistaken you have a choice of exactly one.

On the other hand if you are going to be installing it yourself, I really like the EMD 1st generation prime mover sounds in the old Soundtraxx units. So assuming they are using the same sound in the Tsunami that would be my recommendation. On a GP9 the speaker placement can be tricky.

The Tsunami and the QSI Revolution have excellent modern diesel sounds IMO. For steam, Tsunami and QSI are my favourites. I also like LokSound, but sometimes the sound files are not very accurate...depends on who selects them and has them loaded onto the decoder. However, I think the LokSounds have the best slow motor control.

-Crandell

Actually, the original P2K sound equipped units Geeps were GP-7's. I have one and it sounds great. Walthers currently has a small supply of the last run of GP-9's with sound available but they are being discontinued when sold out. I assume it still has the same QSI decoder that my GP-7 has. The engine itself runs well and, to my ear, the reproduction of the first generation 567 diesel sounds are about perfect, although they need to be toned down a bit in a small room. The QSI decoder will produce some sounds on DC but a much better selection of sounds on DCC. This is currently the only GP-9 that comes with sound. If you want one, move fast. You can always buy any GP-9 and equip it with a sound unit and speaker yourself but, if you have no experience doing this, getting a sound equipped unit is a better idea.

Thanx for the quick reply. I guess I should correct my first post. I used gp9 as an example. I want to know in general what locos have the better sound systems. By better I mean the most realistic. I would lean towards SD40 for my locos. But any info would help. Thanx

I would go out and try to find some to hear at hobby shops or go to YouTube for samples. Plenty are posted.
I have BLI Blueline that i like the best, but you may not. I also have QSI in Atlas, BLI, and Proto but i think they lack bass.
On Dc with Blueline you get Horn, Engine, Bell, and Brake sounds. With OSI on DC you get more sound options as well as running options.

Bob

Thanx for the response. I tell you where I live most of the "mom and pop" hobby stores went out of business. I will give Youtube a try. You say with Blueline you get horn sounds in DC?

I agree with every word Selector has posted. Keep in mind: if you are installing the sound, quality will depend on your installation of the speakers...no matter how good the decoder. Considering a factory installed sound Loco, I would recommend BLI (QSI) or PCM (Loksound). Both are excellent and will blow your socks off, if volume is part of your requirement :D.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to know in general what locos have the better sound systems. By better I mean the most realistic.
In that case the most important thing is to match the sounds recorded on the decoder to the unit it is installed in. I have a PCM F3 ABA set that the sound quality is ok but it is wrong. There is obviously a turbo charger (567D) rather than a roots-blower sound (567B) that this particular set of units had, the horn sound was wrong (model had a Nathan 3, and the sound unit is Wabco).

In models they often also screw up sounds of units with different cylinders. A 567 is not a 567 is not a 567. For example I am fairly certain the sound that BLI originally used in their E7 units was a 16 cylinder 567C instead of two 12 cylinder 567As as it should be. ... sigh.

The way to get realistic sound is to research the model that you have and then go hunting for the sound to match. That is actually much easier today than it used to be because many of the modern sound systems are programable. That is when the proper sound clip is found it can be uploaded into the decoder.

An EMD SD40 from the factory had a 16 cylinder 645E3 prime mover that was turbo charged so it will whine a bit. SD45-2s had the same engine. These should be very common sounds. Look for decoders loaded with "EMD 2nd generation" and odds are it will be right for this loco.

As far as other realisms go - louder is not better. Loud blaring sound hides its true quality. Put the loco on the track get down close and listen as if you were standing that close to a real loco. Adjust the sound accordingly.

Finally the sounds one can find on the internet will not sound the same when they are put inside an on-board unit. Remember a computer can have some really nice big speakers an HO locomotive cannot.

I don't believe you will be disappointed with Soundtrax Tsunami, QSI, or Loksound decoders. Do note that the Loksound use a high impedance speaker (not a normal 8 ohm like other systems) so they could be harder to find and there will be less selection. I have no Digitrax sound units but have read mixed reviews on them.

With any sound locomotive other than QSI in DC you will have to purchase a controller to activate the sound or go to DCC.
With QSI you can blow the horn or turn on the bell with the directional switch on your DC power pack.
On the Broadway limited web site you can check out the PCM or QSI Quantium controller without going to DCC. With the Blueline controller you get horn, bell, engine sound, programing for sound, Volume, and Aux.

Bob

When a sound decoder is installed. Does it replace the DCC decoder or do you end up with locomotives with both a DCC decoder and Sound decoder?

That all depends on what type of decoder you use. Some are all in one for a fresh install, and some decoders add on to the pre-existing decoders.
For example a BLI "Blue Box" loco comes with a sound decoder but runs on DC. You add a DCC decoder later to run DCC, giving you two decoders.

Back