Should I build it?

bklynman01

I know that this area is for actual builds, but pending the result of this discussion, there may be a build that comes later. If the powers-at-be decide to move the conversation, I'm okay with that.

A good friend of mine brought me a gift for my layout. He knows that I want to put a brewery in the layout, and happened to see one while at an antique show. So he got me this:

20140509_211208.jpg
Like I said, he was at an antique show. His house was built in the late 1800s by a local man who was known for his architecture. I say that only to say that my friend understands the value in things when they are original. If I told him that I couldn't build this model because of its keepsake value, he would understand. At the same time, it was a gift, and a very generous gift, as I'm sure this model was not cheap. I already took an inventory (package was already opened) and everything is there.
20140509_211337.jpg

So, what do you guys think? Should I build the model? Or should I leave it as is because of its value?

From experiance I can assure you that "in the box" kits are as close to worthless as an item can be. Sell it, or Build It! Enjoy it, there are thousands like it.

A quick look on Ebay revealed that the most they've sold for is $87.50. I'm not much of a fan of plastic kits.

To help you make your decision, I'd suggest you look at the parts. Will they fit together well? I did a Greenspring Creamery and the fit was horrible. Another thing to consider is if it's what you want- is the architecture the right style for what you want to do? Will it be too big for the spot you have set aside for it?

I hope that helps.

I think it would best honor your friend's intentions if you built it and proudly displayed it on your layout .... my 2 cents ;)

If its putative value is all that is giving you pause, I say, build it. If you think it would be a good fit for the brewery you envision on your layout, build it.

Now, if you are hesitating for other reasons, too, then figure out what those reasons are and whether they're really important.
The nifty thing about breweries is that there's likely to be a prototype for almost every style of building you might use. Sure, there are some classic brewery architecture styles, but you've got almost infinite leeway in choosing alternatives...

From the DairyStatePhone

I have to go along with what Ian said, your friend bought it for you for your layout, so that is where it should be, even though your friend might understand your reason for not wanting build it.

I think you should build it and display it proudly to honor your friend's intentions. But if it doesn't fit your plans for your layout, I think a separate diorama would be in order.
I have a couple pieces that were given to me that I wouldn't have chosen for my layout myself, yet they will be displayed in prominent locations on my layout.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, as with everything on my layout, this will be a long slow process. My wife is due any day now with your first child, so there could be a 3 or 4 (or 10) day gap in the project. But for now, here we go...

I took everything out last night and started with coloring the mortar. Since I'm modeling prohibition, the brewery will have to look unused (besides the scene at the track where bootleggers are loading some crates). The mortar should be inconsistent in color (as it usually is anyway). I mixed white, a touch of black, and a touch of emerald blue acrylic paints. The first small piece I painted, I used a brush. Then got to a larger piece and realized the time it was going to take. I moved on to using a foam brush (I think that's what its called, black foam with the pointed tip). This moved things along faster, but the foam absorbed A LOT of water even when dipping very quickly. This made it difficult to get proper coverage. My end technique was to dip the foam in the water and then dab it on a paper towel to try and remove some of the water. Then hit the paint, then spread on the brick walls. The right amount of water was crucial as to get the paint down into the mortar grooves. After painting a single piece, I used a dry paper towel to wipe off the paint without applying much pressure. This removed the paint from the surface of the brick, and left the paint in the grooves (mortar lines) behind. Here are pictures that show 1) unpainted parts, 2) painted before wiping, 3) after wiping. All the parts are sitting now waiting for me to get back to it tonight.

20140520_210327.jpg20140520_211354.jpg20140520_211500.jpg20140520_214951.jpg

My wife is due any day now with your first child, so there could be a 3 or 4 (or 10) day gap in the project.

Your first child and you estimate a gap measured in days??

:) BAAAahahaha.... oh man.....hahaha.... stop!..... Uncle!.....hahahaha..... Oh....man..... wheww...! Days...... lol!!

...My wife is due any day now with your first child, so there could be a 3 or 4 (or 10) day gap in the project. But for now, here we go...

Also hope that you're good at cat nap's. For awhile after the baby's arrived, you definitely WON'T be sleeping through the night until the baby does. Those 2am feeding were annoying to the wife especially. She breastfed our kids.

Your first child and you estimate a gap measured in days??
The funny part is, when I first typed it, it said "years"!

Okay, so I need some advice. I painted the brick surfaces and they look good. So I separated all the windows last night and tried painting them. I want them to be green, but the plastic parts are black. It seems like the paint just won't stick to it, and so the black just isn't covering. I tried on a door to use enamel instead, but to get the color to show, I needed a pool of it, so I cleaned it off because it looked bad. I also tried painting a coat of flat clear acrylic and then the green on top of that, but still nothing.

What can I use to paint the black plastic green? The picture below - on the left is the clear acrylic with green acrylic on top (two coats) and the right is the green enamel.

20140522_184704.jpg

I would have built it too. Something to think about would be to make a sign for it naming the brewery after your thoughtful friend. Also congratulations on the new baby.

What can I use to paint the black plastic green? The picture below - on the left is the clear acrylic with green acrylic on top (two coats) and the right is the green enamel.

View attachment 43574
Did you wash the parts before painting?
Try brushing some alcohol on the areas the paint wont stick. After it dries try again. You can do a test area to see if it will work.
Also make sure the paint is stirred good.

Hamltnblue, I did wash the parts, but just with some dish soap and water on a paper towel. Didn't try alcohol. I'll give that a whirl tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Okay, the alcohol didn't work. So I almost gave up and said "okay, black doors and windows" but then thought I could try air brush. I happen to have a touch up gun (a bit large for modeling, but if it worked, would be worth wasting some paint). Alas, that failed too. I put a couple pictures below of the best looking piece but you can see that the paint just kind of pooled up instead of staying where it landed.

This kit is quite old. Is there a chance that the oils that did exist are just part of the plastic now and there is no hope for coating these? If so, I would be pretty bummed.

Any ideas anyone?

qa5yvyhu.jpg
e4y5e9at.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You need to prime those parts with grey paint. For whatever reason grey primer provides a good base that you can paint whatever color over the top of.

I second what Railrunner said... regardless of what I am painting, plastic wise, I always wash the parts as you did then undercoat them with grey primer. Let it sit for 24 hours and give the parts a very light sand (if possible) before applying your top coat.

I don't know why, but I have always gotten a better finish letting the primer dry that long, regardless of what the directions say.

Back