SDP40 lease unit

efram

Saw an SDP40 today, lease unit, silver, can't remember the # or initials. Was pulling a westbound CPR freight through Belleville. I searched the rrpictures archives and there's nothing I can find. Any hints? BTW, I know i messed up by not remembering the initials..lol!

SDP40 is just the passenger version of an SD40-2 right?

Or can someone explain what they are and some railroads that had them?
:)

An SDP40 was an SD40 (not a -2) that was equipped with a steam generator for passenger service. There were several railroads that rostered them, but they weren't particularly common.

Unless it was scrapped real recently, MRL still has one of the GN/BN units....MRL #290. I saw it not too long ago pulling a tie train, but it no longer has the Montana Centennial logo on it.

I was surprised that I saw it, cause of the rarity of SDP40's to begin with. I think it's begging to be done in HO scale.....

There's an SDP40 in Colton Yard service for UP.

I'm not sure about SDP40 but I've seen a SDP45 in Ontario, CA not far from Colton. I have pictures to prove it too:

IM002654.jpg

Did CNW ever have any of these units? I have a BB Athearn SDP40 in CNW paint but havent been able to find evidence Chicago & Northwestern ever owned any of these locomotives. Im starting to think this locomotive is a "foobie".

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure about SDP40 but I've seen a SDP45 in Ontario, CA not far from Colton. I have pictures to prove it too:

IM002654.jpg

I saw that unit about 6 years ago in ontario..it was headend power on an eastbound mixed freight..caught up to it at a red signal and jsut listened to that beautiful 20 cylinder idle...sounded awesome...

yea those 20cyl beasts are getting harder to find. Luckily the NYSW still has 2 SD45's with the 20cyls that are still running and 1 F45 with a 20cyl that blew up.

Back