Scenes from a narrow shelf layout

Beautiful!!
Like/love the emptyness and without the "background"it looks even more emptier...as it is situated on a vaste plain 'till the horizon with no hills trees etc ...so actuly I realy don't miss the background;-)
it looks like a cloudy day with no sun( like morning "atmosphere")

Jos

Looks good, if the tractors were red I would give you an A+++++. But since they are green you only get an A+++ :)

I think it DOES look real! You must've had some floodlights at a pretty high overhead angle to avoid the usual telltale shadows from the buildings.

That is gorgeous..!! I agree that a backdrop, even just a blue sky, would make it perfect....
Who makes those vehicles..?? They would fit my time-frame just perfectly....

Reminds me of Richard Francavigilia's "Iota, the end of a very short line" that appeared in RMC back in the early 1970s.

The Ford panel trucks are Athearn and the IH flat bed is from Classic Metal Works.

it looks great, you dont have to have acres of plywood for something to look great. It's simple and effective and straight to the point.

Looks nice, add a sky and it would be hard to tell if it's real or not.

Dave

I'm trying to find something long enough to put in the background with out seams. I have a short piece of bristol board with clouds on it, but is only good to use for tight shots.

Beautiful!!
Like/love the emptyness and without the "background"it looks even more emptier...as it is situated on a vaste plain 'till the horizon with no hills trees etc ...so actuly I realy don't miss the background;-)
it looks like a cloudy day with no sun( like morning "atmosphere")

Jos

I tried to create a misty morning atmosphere in this shot, but the damn texture in the painted wall is showing in the BG.

Very nice, especially love the weeds!

The seeds and grass are a combo of Heki and static grass. Here is a shot of some of it used on some hand laid ties and rails on a experiment I did before applying it to my layout's sidings.

Looks good, if the tractors were red I would give you an A+++++. But since they are green you only get an A+++ :)

I'm hoping the green tractors are appropriate for the era I'm modelling.
I do have a red tractor (I think my other one got vacuumed up) and will photograph it soon.

I think it DOES look real! You must've had some floodlights at a pretty high overhead angle to avoid the usual telltale shadows from the buildings.

I don't have any photo equipment and look forward to the day that I can purchase some flood lamps.

I borrowed a therapy daylight lamp and held it over my head wiggling it while pushing the button on the digital camera, which was mounted on a tripod.

That is gorgeous..!! I agree that a backdrop, even just a blue sky, would make it perfect....
Who makes those vehicles..?? They would fit my time-frame just perfectly....

The wall is actually painted a light blue, but the lighting and exposure bleaches it out. Still trying to find something long and blue without seams to put int the BG when photographing.

The black pickup is a Busch and the other vehicles are Athearn except for the wagon near the crossing and the flatbed truck, which are Classic metals I believe.

That is outstanding!

Thanks.
I will try to shoot the other remaining 44 feet of my layout.
The shots I presented are a 4Ft area of my layout that is 12" deep; very challenging considering the other side of the room is is only 9" deep.

it looks great, you dont have to have acres of plywood for something to look great. It's simple and effective and straight to the point.

I have about 48 feet of layout going around bedroom walls. The narrowest area is 9" and the widest is 12" except for the corners, which are much deeper with a minimum radius of track at 36" and the widest at 42".

Here is an example of 9" deep scene. Since the shot was taken, I have removed the facade that is against the wall. It looks much better now and doesn't draw the eye to the wall. Will take an update photo soon.

Ballast quarry

You all have inspired me to shoot some more. I did these quick with natural light coming from the window.

This is a corner section of my layout where not much goes on except for a branch line that passes by. The shots are taken from POV of the branchline.

The track in the BG goes behind the rock into a hole in the wall into a closet, which is a hidden staging area.

Back